I'm admitting defeat---- Last time on this...........

/ I'm admitting defeat---- Last time on this........... #1  

Uncle Levi

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020
Hi Guys ,
I've posted about this before and I promise, this is the last plea for help. I have a 1969 JD 2020 gas that I can only run for 15 minutes before it overheats. I have a DUAL 420 loader on it run off a PTO pump and I'm pulling a 6' finish mower. I've replaced the radiator. the water pump, the gauge, the thermostat twice, checked the fan and it's on right, it has no leaks while running, I've flushed the block, replaced the hoses, .......... I'm at a complete loss. I live 60 miles from town and I have a wife in Minneapolis on life support so I can't take it to the dealer, but I can do just about anything else myself. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with a 2020 ? if I've been fighting with this since I bought it (otherwise it runs great) but if I can't get it fixed I think I'm going to remove the loader and scrap it. It's practically worthless to me this way. I REALLY nee some help here ! Thanks . :confused:

/ I'm admitting defeat---- Last time on this........... #2  
Sounds like you have covered most of the cooling system. Watch the lower radiator hose to be sure it doesn't collapse at high rpms. Aside from that, I am betting you have a compression leak into the cooling system. DOes it blow antifreeze out forcefully when it overheats? You could have a bad head gasket, cracked head, or cracked cylinder liner. Sometimes a crack opens up after engine is warm.

/ I'm admitting defeat---- Last time on this........... #3  
Head gasket ?

/ I'm admitting defeat---- Last time on this...........
Sounds like you have covered most of the cooling system. Watch the lower radiator hose to be sure it doesn't collapse at high rpms. Aside from that, I am betting you have a compression leak into the cooling system. DOes it blow antifreeze out forcefully when it overheats? You could have a bad head gasket, cracked head, or cracked cylinder liner. Sometimes a crack opens up after engine is warm.

It blows out the overflow hose when I shut it off ( a little past the radiator cap, but really a lot out the overflow hose). I guess I'm going to have to replace the head gasket and see if that fixes it.

/ I'm admitting defeat---- Last time on this........... #5  
Your problems sounds a little extreme for this to be the source of the problem, but it is worth looking into: Check your ignition timing. An engine that has its timing significantly retarded can generate a lot of extra heat. This may not be the whole problem, but it might be a contributing factor.

/ I'm admitting defeat---- Last time on this........... #6  
Do you lose any coolant or oil over time? Any signs of oil in coolant or coolant in oil? Any creamy foam on inside of oil cap or on dipstick? If any of these, I'd suspect a head gasket.

/ I'm admitting defeat---- Last time on this........... #7  
Vexing problem at a difficult time. You have my best wishes although I have nothing else to add to the ideas already offered. And, you have already covered the most likely problem source.

/ I'm admitting defeat---- Last time on this........... #8  
I had similar issues with my gas Allis D12. The cause was one of the cylinder liners had risen up a little from the cylinder bore, causing overheating and loss of coolant. If you pull the head to check the head gasket you can check the liners at that time.

Do you lose any coolant or oil over time? Any signs of oil in coolant or coolant in oil? Any creamy foam on inside of oil cap or on dipstick? If any of these, I'd suspect a head gasket.

None of that. Thanks .

I had similar issues with my gas Allis D12. The cause was one of the cylinder liners had risen up a little from the cylinder bore, causing overheating and loss of coolant. If you pull the head to check the head gasket you can check the liners at that time.

Thank you. I'll look for that.