First Tractor Purchase for 100 Acre Property

/ First Tractor Purchase for 100 Acre Property #11  
You would be better off with the 4720 if you prefer the smaller footprint of a Compact utility tractor. If you are above 4-5000 ft altitude, make sure you get a turbo model (4X20 series is). You can mount a front snow blower.

If you want to hay bigger round bales, you might look at a 5603. You give up the hydrostatic tranny but you get plenty of haying/shredding HP at a good price. I don't think you can mount a front snow blower on this but I may be wrong. You can mount a plow blade though.

Like stated before, you can do with a lesser machine if you have plenty of time.

/ First Tractor Purchase for 100 Acre Property #12  
ylazyy said:
We have been considering a JD 4320 Cab EHydro 4WD 400x loader, and rear mount snow blower for our property. We have a 1700 driveway to maintain and lots of deep snow here in Colorado.
-----

What kind of tires are you planning on?

Chains?

---
We also need to mow much of our pasture and have over 40 acres that is currently hayed by our neighbor for 50% of the crop.
----

How much pasture do you plan on mowing?

How big a mower are you planning on buying?

Are you going to take over the haying?
If so, what kind of bales.

Questions:
Is this the right size tractor or do we need a higher HP?
---

HP is not the real issue I don't think. Also, HP is not HP. You need ot realize that some tractors are quoted in PTO HP or Flywheel HP.

Exampe:
4720 is called a 58hp. It is really 50hp at the PTO
5525 is called 91 hp, but 75hp at the PTO.

We are confused about the options we should be purchasing and do not want to rely on the dealer to suggest the appropriateness of what is available. Is there a resource for researching this?
-----

I trust my dealer - your mileage may differ.

Who makes the best snow blowers? We often have 4-5 ft drifts.
---
Clueless - I am in Texas. :)

If we wanted the flexibility to hay our own field - does that make the 4320 to small?
---

They make equipment small enough for your 4320 to handle.

----

It sounds like a cab is a must.

Depending on how much you have to mow - you will want a big mower. Of course, if you are baling it - that is less of an issue.

Do you have to have HST?

Can you afford more than one tractor?

Do you plan on mowing your yard if any?

I ended up with a 4720 open station and a 5525 cab tractor.

I have to say - the 4720 has way more power than I need in that platform, I could have gone smaller.

The 5525 is a joy - don't go drive one unless you can pull the trigger.

I am also looking at haying and I am glad I have a cab tractor. For round baling - you are looking at needing 60+ PTO hp. If you are small sqaure baling - you have a lot of options but even a small sqaure baler will bounce a 4320 around. Also, I like to be able to feather the PTO in - can't do that on the 4720, but I can in the 5525. Some 5525s have electric PTO, but not mine.

More details on your plans is key.

Another thing to think about - a bigger tractor will have better ground clearance - that might be handy.

D.

/ First Tractor Purchase for 100 Acre Property #13  
ylazyy said:
After much research today, I can't say that your responses surprise me about the size of the tractor we are considering. The 4320 seemed like a large tractor to us as "newbies" and the price range is very important. We could possibly pull off purchasing a 4720 if that would be better, but no way to afford a 100HP or anything near it. Also, as a woman on the property often working alone, the more automated features, the better. I am worried that I would not be able to handle some of the implements without help and a used tractor would not have the maintenance and warranty needs that are also important.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

My wife loves the 4720, but she gets confused driving the 5525. She does not understand all the ranges, gears, power reverser, etc.

We need to narrow down the activies of the tractor some more.

It sounds like a 4720 cab might cover a lot of your plans.

You might want to pass on the haying. The equipment can run more than the tractor you are looking at.

D.

/ First Tractor Purchase for 100 Acre Property #14  
How about negotiating with the haying neighbor to do the driveway.

The smaller less expensive, intimidating tractor can do the other tasks & help with hay - raking, transport, etc.

Be sure to get a good comfortable seat in that new tractor!

/ First Tractor Purchase for 100 Acre Property #15  
BarryinMN said:
How about negotiating with the haying neighbor to do the driveway.

The smaller less expensive, intimidating tractor can do the other tasks & help with hay - raking, transport, etc.

Be sure to get a good comfortable seat in that new tractor!
----

Not a bad point - I farm out the big dirt busting stuff and haying. I suspect I will end up going my own haying, but I have higher priorties right now.

According to the John Deere web site you could pull a MX-8 mower with a 4720. Mowing a a 5 or 6 mower will get very old in a hurry, but atleast you will be in AC with a radio!

D.

/ First Tractor Purchase for 100 Acre Property #16  
This thread is going to be interesting to me as my wife and I are eyeing a 35-acre ranchette site in semi-eastern Colorado. Since we have no interest in farming, etc; I'm hoping my trusty JD 4200 will be enough to keep the driveway and area around the house maintained.

/ First Tractor Purchase for 100 Acre Property #17  
All the other posters have summed things up pretty well, but I think that you may be OK with a smaller tractor.

First, you might as well forget the haying unless you are going to do it because you will enjoy it and want to learn about it. There will be very little money in it.

If you want to hay, I think you would also want two tractors because otherwise you will be swapping implements over a lot. (I know people manage with just one)

If you are prepared to spend a bit of time on the tractor there is no reason why you couldn't cut 60 acres with a 6 foot mower. If you work on 4 acres per hour (which should be easily possible in normal growth) it would take about 15 hours.

We use a 9 foot mower behind about 80 HP and cut about 200 acres a year with it overall. I just keep going till it's all cut then sleep ;)

Could you put more of the land in hay then you wouldn't have to cut it.

/ First Tractor Purchase for 100 Acre Property #18  
Almost sounds like a champaign taste / beer budget kinda thing.

While you -CAN- do large jobs with small tractors.. I see a new tractor owner getting discuraged when virtually ALL the jobs are taking longer because the tractor is smaller.

Haying.. 1 big and 1 small / medium tractor is ideal.. leave the bailer on the bigger tractor, and then rake and mow with the smaller one.. or mow with the big one too.. depends on the mower. next for 'fair' is just 1 big tractor.. does it all.. little more time and implement swap intensive.. plus no helpers.. and bottom of the list is the single small/medium tractor. Biggest hurdle is getting the implements sized for the machine.

for one.. if you are balking at the price of a high hp tractor.. you must not have priced hay equipment!

Mowing... If you have ? 60 ac to mow.. you will be real good at it if you have a small / medium tractor.. cuz you will be doing it ALOT.. simple physics.

If you only want to knock down the brush 1-2x per year.. then no problem devoting a long weekend to each cutting.. etc... if you want to keep it groomed monthly or every 6 weeks.. then make sure the mower has a nice comfy seat!

good luck!

Soundguy

/ First Tractor Purchase for 100 Acre Property #19  
Grrrr said:
If you are prepared to spend a bit of time on the tractor there is no reason why you couldn't cut 60 acres with a 6 foot mower. If you work on 4 acres per hour (which should be easily possible in normal growth) it would take about 15 hours.

I respectfully disagree - this would require you to average 5.4mph in mowing, with no overlap of rows and no time lost in turning, nor any time lost in passing over mowed areas while turning or maneuvering. I find I can't go much over 4mph on my fields, not for lack of power (I have 2x what I need for my 6' mower) but because the field is too bumpy to go faster without beating up me and the equipment. Also, I tend to overlap 6-12", not because I want to but because my current skill level doesn't let me get all the grass without some overlap. And I do lose time going over mowed areas while turning corners. Some of this will get better with skill and experience, but it won't all magically improve. On bumpy fields, and assuming adequate PTO hp, I only expect 2- 2.5 acres/hour with a 6' mower. YMMV

/ First Tractor Purchase for 100 Acre Property
Thanks to all of you for some terrific thoughts! To answer some of your questions:

The mowing is for 1-2 x a year before spraying for weeds in our pasture 60 acres horse pasture. This pasture does not have enough water to become a hay field.

The haying is in a 40 acre creek basin area, which can be very wet and has gotten many a tractor stuck while trying to cut the hay.

The snow can be horrendous on our 1700 ft driveway with huge drifts. I have watched hired tractors with loaders, tractors with plows, and a tractor with a snow blower come through. The snow blower was definitely the fastest and did the least damage to our gravel drive (he kept it about 2" off the ground).

Therefore the priority is the driveway, then typical horse property duties, then the mowing and maybe the haying in the future.

Are we still way off base if we go to a 4720 instead of the 4320? I priced a 5225 and while it looks to be the answer, it it easily another $10k.