3520 VS. 3720

/ 3520 VS. 3720 #1  

Snow Annihilation

Tractor
JD 3520 Cab!
So I have seen this subject discussed here before and though I would thrown in my opinion on a JD 3520 vs. a JD 3720. I have owned both.
2 years ago I purchased a JD 3720 with a 300cx loader and lorenz front mount snow blower. At this time I looked a 3520 and 3720 and being my frist tractor threw the extra 3k for the 3720 being as my primary purpose is snow blowing and wanted to make sure I could thrown the snow as far as possible, we can get some nasty storms in Southern Oregon.

After 2 winters of freezing on an open station I traded the 3720 in for a 3520 with a cab. You may I ask why did not got for the 3720 with a cab....3k dollars, which is half the cost of the cab. So what do you get for 3k under the hood being the two tractors are otherwise identical. After parts research and talk with the mechanic at the local dealer. All you get with a 3720 over a 3520 is larger injectors, a different injection pump and different turbo and an intercooler. In terms of real world power a 3720 is 44 hp at the motor and 35 at the pto. A 3520 is 37 at the motor and 30 at the pto.

After driving and using both a 3520 is a better machine! Here is why:
The 3720 if it meets and resistance and you get on the hydrostat you will spin the tires 3 times sooner than on the 3520. The power to weight ratio is off. I have dug a hole with the tire in the 3720 in less than 30 seconds. The 3520 will spin the tires but with much more effort meaning that the power to weight ratio is where it should be and traction is applied. For snow blowing no difference has been noted and I am warm now.

The cost if you have the extra 3k to spend an want more tractor, step up to a 4000 series, you will get 4 cylinders over 3 cylinders and another 900 lbs of machine. In many instances there is no replacement for weight. I am not saying to not buy a 3720 it is a great machine and is like the high output v8 as opposed to the standard v8. Remember this is a tractor not a car. So my oppinion is to buy a 3520 or if you want more power step up to a 4000 series.

Hope this helps

/ 3520 VS. 3720 #2  
First let me welcome you to TBN!

Thanks for the write up on your experiences with the 3720 and 3520. While I don't have any first hand knowledge of either one the cab version does add 670 lbs to the base weight of the tractors. That is equivalent to my six 110lb. rear weights and attaching hardware on the 4520. I would think that a cab 3720 with weights added or Rim Guard should get good traction.

I agree though that both tractors have good usable power based on what I have read here. You really have to pay attention to wheel spin with R1 tires though, they can dig in real fast.

/ 3520 VS. 3720 #3  
Snow
Pretty good review but the fault that the 3720 spin-out is a negative, has to do with tractor weight. And your 3520 with cab doesn't make for a good comparison (apples/oranges thing). To fix the power/weight ration, add weight. :)

To step up to the larger framed 4000 series, means you get a larger tractor too, not just more HP.

Glad you are satisfied with the 3520, but sounds like you are trying to justify having fewer horses under the hood, and your decision to downsize. :)

But your argument doesn't disuade me from seriously looking to upgrade to the 3720 :)

Welcome to the forum, and hope we hear more about your 3520.

/ 3520 VS. 3720 #4  
Six months ago, I Compared the 4720 to the 3720. Dealer priced up a 4720 with a FEL (my first choice not knowing any better). Being my first tractor I went back to the dealer on a Sunday to look around alone and did some additional research. Determined I could get a 3720 with (FEL,MMM ((don't think you can even put a MMM on a 4720)),Rotary Cutter and Chipper) for about the same price as the 4720 with just a FEL. I have a 26ac home site not a farm, so it's only finish mowing, some brush mowing and projects with the FEL. Thought the 4720 would look kind of silly mowing with it.

I have no regrets with the, now 60 hours on my 3720, the size is great, there is always power in reserve, and the cab is just great in the hot & cold.

/ 3520 VS. 3720 #5  
You can get a mid mount mower with the 4x20 series. However, the 4x20 series with cab, would be really large for mowing the lawn around the house. I moved up from a 3720 to a 4520 both with cabs. On paper the 3x20 series doesn't seem much bigger but there is a noticeable difference in size and power. The 3720 had plenty of power, the 3520 should also have enough power for the size of CUT. I could smoke the belt of my rear finish mower with the 3720 and not even notice the engine pull down on the 3720. I needed more clearance of the 4x20 series and I changed from R4s to R1s for more traction.

/ 3520 VS. 3720 #6  
The 3520 and 3720 are both good choices for mowing and odd jobs. They have some other benefits as well. If it were me and I was maintaining 26 acres though I would consider a large mower around the house and the 4x20 tractor and rfm on the rest of the place. This assumes that you are cutting more frequently close to the house and intermittently clipping the fields.

/ 3520 VS. 3720 #7  
You can get a mid mount mower with the 4x20 series. However, the 4x20 series with cab, would be really large for mowing the lawn around the house.

radman1; Oh i dunno, If i good get the CFO to go for it, I might have bought one:D

BTW, I also did not buy the 3720 because of the minute power difference for my applications, as it probably would not make a difference, except in very extreme situations. My slopes range from 19 - 26 degree inclines, but I have had no issues with running the 72" MMM, AC, and hauling the loader and the rear dirt scoop all around on hot days. I was advised by multiple people on this forum and multiple local dealers that I might have an issue with the same configuration on a 3320 tough.

/ 3520 VS. 3720 #8  
Welcome to the forum! I have a 3520 and looked strongly at the 3720 when I bought it. The cab sure would be comfortable in this winter weather, but to me the difference was the hydro transmission.
I'm from the old school and just don't can't make the switch to the hyrdo. For what you describe your use, it sounds like the hydro is a better choice for you. I don't believe a person can purchase a cab on those two unless you have the hydro drive. If that isn't correct, I hope someone will set me straight.

Again, welcome to the forum and thanks for some good logical posting.

/ 3520 VS. 3720 #9  
Welcome to the forum! I have a 3520 and looked strongly at the 3720 when I bought it. The cab sure would be comfortable in this winter weather, but to me the difference was the hydro transmission.
I'm from the old school and just don't can't make the switch to the hyrdo. For what you describe your use, it sounds like the hydro is a better choice for you. I don't believe a person can purchase a cab on those two unless you have the hydro drive. If that isn't correct, I hope someone will set me straight.

You are 100% Correct...Cab = eHydro Only...

I was like you in my thought process...but I can say after having my 3520/eHydro for as long as I have, I'd never go back to an "old fashioned" gear tranny...
What made the decision for me was the CAB was a necessity...I figured I'd live with the hydro....But I instead became a believer.

jenkinsph said:
I would think that a cab 3720 with weights added or Rim Guard should get good traction.

Yeah, I've got 2 - 55's in each wheel (220 lbs total) plus the weight of the cab on my 3520 and I'd say its weighted OK...I've been thinking about adding another 55 on each wheel, but I dunno...it works nicely right now.

/ 3520 VS. 3720 #10  
Wesdor,

All of us who are older grew up on gear tractors, most of us were glad to have them. Getting use to an ehydro is easy, you buy one and drive it around a little and your sold on it. I used my 820 a couple of weeks ago to move implements off the trailer at the ranch and was really suprised how much more difficult it was to manuever than the 4520.

I had planned to trade this 820 tractor in on a 6000 series later this year but I am having second thoughts, I would like to see them come out with the ehydro in them first. Depending on the cost though I may have to settle for a PR transmission as I already know the IVT is pricey.