Dealer Family Owned Dealer Gone...

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #1  

Hard

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2320
The dealer where I purchased my 2320 is no more. They were a family owned dealer, one store. They always kept lots of inventory and parts on hand. The dealer looked to be very committed to JD and had been a dealer for a very long time. JD came in and pulled the franchise. All the parts and tractors were taken to a very large, multi store dealer. And they are a good 30 miles further away from me.

They (the small family owned dealer) were not my local dealer. My local JD dealer is a very large golf turf/big ag dealer. Compacts and garden tractor type customers don't get their attention and if they were to speak to you, you must have offered to pay full list price.

So now I am forced to deal with either my local mega JD dealer or the other JD mega dealer that took over my family owned JD dealer several more miles away.:mad: :mad:

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #2  
This makes me worry. My dealer is a small family owned dealer. I see Deere ads in local American classifieds. They have all the multi store dealers listed in North Al, but my small dealer is never shown.
My dealer also outsells the big dealers. I wonder if the big dealers have any influence on these kinds of shutdowns. JC

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #3  
RollTideRam said:
This makes me worry. My dealer is a small family owned dealer. I see Deere ads in local American classifieds. They have all the multi store dealers listed in North Al, but my small dealer is never shown.
My dealer also outsells the big dealers. I wonder if the big dealers have any influence on these kinds of shutdowns. JC
That's likely more of a result of pooled advertising contributions.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #4  
RollTideRam said:
I wonder if the big dealers have any influence on these kinds of shutdowns. JC

It may be part dealers, but John Deere maybe taking the same approach other big companies have taken and thining out the smaller dealers. They want greater market share and they want to do it with less dealers.

Just my opinion.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #5  
thcri said:
It may be part dealers, but John Deere maybe taking the same approach other big companies have taken and thining out the smaller dealers. They want greater market share and they want to do it with less dealers.

Just my opinion.
It's not just Deere, other companies are following the so-called "Caterpillar business model". Small dealers fall by the wayside as franchise agreements expire.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #6  
thcri said:

Just my opinion.

dgl24087 said:
It's not just Deere, other companies are following the so-called "Caterpillar business model". Small dealers fall by the wayside as franchise agreements expire.

Yes it is happening in all industries and manufacturing. It's a shame but in order for them to be competitive I guess that is the way it has to be.

murph

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #7  
I feel that all it does is hold prices up by not having too many dealers competing against each other with the same product.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #8  
Yes, this is truly a sad state of affairs. I have a patient who is closing a dealership for his daughter and son in law that they operated for several years. He has had several potential buyers, but the amount of capital that is involved is tremendous, and few private parties can and would put that amount of money into such an endeavor. My patient has been working on this process for over two years now, and finally they have sold out to a larger dealership. My father retired from Texaco/BP/Shell oil about five years ago, and before he retired he proclaimed the days of the mom and pop store that sells gasoline were over, as none of the companies he represented had any interest in supporting small, family owned stores such as that. It is the unfortunate philosophy of the most with the least.

John M

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone...
dgl24087 said:

JD did not even wait for the franchise agreement to expire to take the franchise from my dealer.

My small, family owned dealer sold far more lawn and garden, sub-cuts and compacts than my local mega multi location JD dealer. The 2320 and 4115 I tested at my local mega dealer back in late July are still on the lot as of last weekend...the same exact tractors. They won't sell them at less than full list. Still they sit...