Dealer Family Owned Dealer Gone...

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone...
MessickFarmEqu said:
You can always buy from us :) ... well, not green.. but hey.

Neil, I may see you next time I trade...Blue is a nice color, orange ain't so bad either.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone...
ChrisJD4320 said:
Update... I was at Clugstons today and the staff was wearing shirts that said Landmark-Carlisle, Chambersburg, Hagerstown. Their price on an MX6 was straight off the computer. He would give little or no money off the list price. This is one of the many problems with these dealer consolidations. We as consumers lose our bargaining power. They know a person does not want to drive 100 miles or more to buy a piece of equipment By default, we as consumers, are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

JD is putting the squeeze on. I like my JD for sure but the next time I buy a tractor I'll look at other brands if my local JD dealer won't move reasonably on price. Orange or Blue or Green...I won't pay list price.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #23  
bamatoolmaker said:
rumor has it the local Deere dealer here lost their franchise also.I guess its more of the Walmart philosophy.
Who is the local dealer you speak of? I hope it is not Coker. JC

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #24  
RollTideRam, who did you buy your Deere from. I see you are from Hartselle so Hood Tractor is pretty close to you. I bought mine from Agricity in Athens.

RollTideRam said:
This makes me worry. My dealer is a small family owned dealer. I see Deere ads in local American classifieds. They have all the multi store dealers listed in North Al, but my small dealer is never shown.
My dealer also outsells the big dealers. I wonder if the big dealers have any influence on these kinds of shutdowns. JC

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #25  
I bought mine at Coker in Arab. Hood sold out to Agricity and moved from Priceville to the other side of Decatur near Hwy. 20. I quit trading with Hood years ago, but have bought some small stuff from the new dealer because they are near my job. Coker is truly a small family run business. The father is hard of hearing but is nice to talk to, Older brother is parts man, younger brother sells tractors and the sister sells gators, mowers and the toys. JC

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #26  
I'm just glad I bought my JD before all the squeezing out of the smaller family stores got into full swing. I did not know it was going on at the time I purchased my tractor. I don't like corporations telling me I can no longer buy from person A or B because they sell at a discount. If the corporation makes its money, and the dealer wants to make less profit to make a sale, the corp. needs to butt out. JD, Case, New Holland, and the other major brands of a few decades ago need to open their eyes. Newer brands to our shores, such as Mahindra and even Kubota, are here because they could fill a void that others could not. Had JD and the others been able to fill that void there would be no Kubota for sale here. Now here they come again with another decision to alienate the consumer and thin out purchase locations by eliminating smaller stores. If the newer corporations are smart they will use this practice against JD and put stores in those vacated areas. Most people are not brand loyal enough to travel 60-70 miles past Orange to by Green. I know I'm not so if my JD dealer goes out my next purchase will be Kubota.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #27  
Yes, it is a bad situation for Deere IMHO. The local dealer here is still privately owned is far as I know. Actually has 2 stores about 35 miles apart. The manager at one of the stores told me of being basically forced to spend 40 grand on a service-at-home trailer rig. They could not put together the trailer package himself, had to buy the trailer, a set amount of parts and tools aboard directly from Deere - part of the deal to keep a franchise.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #28  
RollTideRam said:
I bought mine at Coker in Arab. Hood sold out to Agricity and moved from Priceville to the other side of Decatur near Hwy. 20. I quit trading with Hood years ago, but have bought some small stuff from the new dealer because they are near my job. Coker is truly a small family run business. The father is hard of hearing but is nice to talk to, Older brother is parts man, younger brother sells tractors and the sister sells gators, mowers and the toys. JC

RollTide,

I just picked up my 3520 from Coker the day after Christmas. They are still very much there but very much scared of what they see coming at them from JD Corporate. Bo Coker is the #1 reason I bought from them. He's a genuine nice guy. He suffered my two million questions with grace. Gave me a great deal, and I belive will become a person I can call a friend also, over the years to come - if the factory let's him/them. Apparently they're under some pressure to do something they don't want to but may be squeezed into.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #29  
Tractors4u said:
RollTideRam, who did you buy your Deere from. I see you are from Hartselle so Hood Tractor is pretty close to you. I bought mine from Agricity in Athens.
Brents, Don't forget the SST lawn mower I sold you.:cool: I have not seen any changes. Same owners in charge of each location.

Last edited:
   / Family Owned Dealer Gone... #30  
Bar-Chel in Springville, NY is closing Monday, 5 February. Goodbye to another family owned dealership that has been around for years.