John Deere sold at Lowes & HD

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #101  
I purchased a L120 about 3 years ago so my wife (who does all the mowing) could have dependable mower to use. Our 20+ year old JD 180 seemed to need a "mans touch" to get it going each time. I bought it from a well established deal (who closed up a year later) and was expecting years of trouble free mowing. Besides the basic maintanance stuff (oil and filters twice a summer, new blades each year and greasing it up) I've had to replace the front wheel bushings twice, one front axle and the whole lower wiring harness. The wiring harness got caught up in the PTO and ripped it out of all the connections.
All and all it's a good tractor but I was expecting better from deere. My new dealer was great at getting me all my parts, but now that I'm shopping for a new CUT the green paint does not impress me as much.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #102  
At least when JD had the "Sabre " line, The customer could see a difference.
With the 2003 offering of the L100 Line and now the LA100 Series, all the models are the true John Deere Green. Of course John Deere Sales went through the roof(with Home Depot,ect), But the name that has been known for Qaulity, not cheaper price, has gone down the tubes.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD
JDCOMPACTMAN said:
At least when JD had the "Sabre " line, The customer could see a difference.
With the 2003 offering of the L100 Line and now the LA100 Series, all the models are the true John Deere Green. Of course John Deere Sales went through the roof(with Home Depot,ect), But the name that has been known for Qaulity, not cheaper price, has gone down the tubes.

I couldn't agree more. I think having the "Sabre" by John Deere alerted the customer they were buying more of a lower priced lawn tractor that wouldn't be expected to be as durable as say the JD GT series like I have.

Now the perception of the average Joe is the L series sold in HD is just as good as a GT series sold at a JD dealer.

Looks like another example of the philosophy of short sighted American Industrial and manufacturing companies....make a quick buck-forget the consequences.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #104  
Yes, but this was a great marketing move on their part. There are many people who would like to own a JD but can't afford to shell out $3500-$6000 for a tractor. They are now buying units from the box stores. Those sale would have been had by MTD for sure. As for percieved quality..you can destroy and tractor if not well cared for. I don't think that the JD is going to down in flames due to manufacturing lower price point models. Deere is simply having to adapt to the changing times.

kwolfe said:
Yes, but this was a great marketing move on their part. There are many people who would like to own a JD but can't afford to shell out $3500-$6000 for a tractor. They are now buying units from the box stores. Those sale would have been had by MTD for sure. As for percieved quality..you can destroy and tractor if not well cared for. I don't think that the JD is going to down in flames due to manufacturing lower price point models. Deere is simply having to adapt to the changing times.

I think "Sabre" with "by John Deere" written underneath was the best way. That way there was some type of mental break between "real" John Deere garden tractors and my friends cheap L series, which despite careful maintenance has already been repaired 3 or 4 times in 2 years, while my much harder worked GT series has only lost a voltage regulator in 5-6 years.

If they build equipment which breaks down frequently and they're only making a few hundred of each piece, is the loss in reliability/reputation worth it?

I don't think so. Let MTD get the low profit sales.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #106  
kwolfe said:
Yes, but this was a great marketing move on their part. There are many people who would like to own a JD but can't afford to shell out $3500-$6000 for a tractor.

An X300 is actually only $200 more than the "top of the line" LA series (LA175). Price on an X300 is $2899.

Sad thing is the number of people who will pay over $2000 for one of the LA's at HD/Lowe's and never realize for a few hundred more they can have a "real" John Deere.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #107  
jm102397 said:
An X300 is actually only $200 more than the "top of the line" LA series (LA175). Price on an X300 is $2899.

Sad thing is the number of people who will pay over $2000 for one of the LA's at HD/Lowe's and never realize for a few hundred more they can have a "real" John Deere.

that's where the horsepower wars come in...most that buy the LA175 do so because of the perceived need for more horsepower or the need to be the biggest, baddest on the block. Those types don't care so much about what's around the motor as those that go directly to the Deere dealer to look at that x300

jm102397 said:

Yeah, but it won't have "28HP" stickers on the hood and a cute little sun canopy. :rolleyes: :D

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #109  
Uneducated consumes cannot understand that more hp and a larger deck don't equal a better mower. You can put a a big V8 and large tires on a Pinto but that doesn't mean you have a mustang. What we see more than not is that it is not the motor or deck on the "cheaper" mowerst that breaks but everything else (spindles, wheel bearings, transmission parts, etc.)...

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #110  
We see the engine and deck issues here in UT but almost 100% are customer maintenance issues or misuse.
And yes, the HP thing gets so many people at HD/Lowes-at least if they come to the dealership we can explain the HP/torque difference.
The customers I really feel for are the one's who bought the "top of the line" LA and are trying to bag with it-$3000 spent and they are not very happy. I have had a couple that have brought their "better" units back to the big box and bought a smaller one once I have explained the problem to them.