John Deere X700 Series

/ John Deere X700 Series #21  
Looks like the gauntlents are down, Dargo. Are you willing to pick them up?

/ John Deere X700 Series #22  
Sorry, but I promised to play nice. I'll just say that it also isn't worth my time to argue with my 2 year old niece; if you know what I mean. ;)

I'll bother to acknowledge such a foolish principle when said person is able to change the entire lawn care industry and convince the tens of thousands of owners and operators that they are all wrong. I've long since sold my lawn care businesses, but I still mow around no less than 1000 trees each and every week in the summer around my home with zero damage to any grass. Ah, but alas, I said I won't even dignify such a baseless comment.

The funny thing is that I actually like the 4 wheel steer and 4 wheel drive lawn tractors. I wish I had an excuse to buy one. I think they are as cool as heck! They can pull carts and trailers where ZTRs can't and things like that, but I have tractors for such things. I'm only talking about the need to mow, and specifically, to mow around obstacles in the most efficient expedient manner while providing a superior cut. Start another thread when the entire lawn care industry moves back to lawn tractors and I'll take the time to reply then. :D

/ John Deere X700 Series #23  
I don't see how tens of thousands of lawn care professionals choices proves anything. After all, millions of home buyers, professional flippers, and pro bankers have all made some serious mistakes. Why couldn't lawn care professionals? I would like to keep an open mind and see some real comparisons.

I'm not sure how a Zero Turn machine would do on this, but for my terrain, I would prefer to have traction on all four wheels.

Attachments

• HEL_7834a (Large).jpg
    HEL_7834a (Large).jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 689
   / John Deere X700 Series #24  
The challenge has been put on the table. It will stay there until it is either met or conceded defeat and ignored. The only machine out there that can cut a tighter circle around an obstacle without damage to the turf is a Husqvarna PR21 machine and it's cousins. But it is not a ZTR. It is a commercial articulating front-mount mower. (Very popular everywhere except the USA) It uses a similar principal that allows a JD744 to cut tighter than any ZTR. As the front wheels steer towards the obstacle, the rear wheels are steering away, bringing the deck in close while the same time clearing the rear tire and the rest of the machine away. That is the magic of it. A ZTR suffers the same issues as a two wheel steer lawn tractor when attempting to mow around a small diameter object. No debate that ZTRs are very efficient at cutting grass. I have the largest one ever made, an Excel Hustler 4600 Range wing mower. But my JD will still mow a tighter circle. (Just waiting for that MPEG. Possibly no less than 1000 opportunities each week, but I say just put a Folgers can on the grass and get it over with.)

/ John Deere X700 Series #25  
Not meaning to rub salt on anyones wounded egos here, but did i mention that my JD X744 has blade tip speeds of over 17,000 fps, a powered 14 bushel collection sysstem, front and rear work lights, cruise control, and a rear 3pt hitch and PTO so it can run a 500 lb. sreader, aerater, plus many other attachments. Quickly hook up the front JB Sr., it can spread mulch and many other landscaping materials as well as light earth-moving tasks. Sounds like the perfect all around landscaping machine to me. Did I mention the six-inch uncut diameter circle?

/ John Deere X700 Series #26  
I have heard that the X series are overpriced. If I was you I would buy a Ferris IS Zeroturn for just mowing. Then buy two BX1500s. One of them could just run a spreader when needed. The other could have a front blade and an airater on the back. (I've seen one try to power a tiller so don't try it) Then I would buy a bigger tractor with a loder and a backhoe and a belly mower just incase you have any ditches or culverts to dig up. Just don't try mowing up any hills in high range.

/ John Deere X700 Series #27  
Jammer said:
I have heard that the X series are overpriced. If I was you I would buy a Ferris IS Zeroturn for just mowing. Then buy two BX1500s. One of them could just run a spreader when needed. The other could have a front blade and an airater on the back. (I've seen one try to power a tiller so don't try it) Then I would buy a bigger tractor with a loder and a backhoe and a belly mower just incase you have any ditches or culverts to dig up. Just don't try mowing up any hills in high range.

I don't care who you are that right there is funny!

/ John Deere X700 Series #28  
Dargo said:
I'll bother to acknowledge such a foolish principle when said person is able to change the entire lawn care industry and convince the tens of thousands of owners and operators that they are all wrong.

I would posit the theory that the lawn care industry has moved on to ZTRs because they don't really care all that much if they muss a few spots on somebody's lawn. So long as they get as many jobs done in one day as possible.

Let's be real, most people who pay grass cutters aren't going to be all that particular about it, they just want it done and want to spend their time doing something other than getting it done. Plus, unless you're mowing when it is super wet, the damage done by a tight turn won't be noticeable unless you're paying close attention, and only then during the first few days after cutting.

At any rate, I would figure a skilled operator could make the 6" uncut circle, but they won't do it any more quickly as the 4ws tractor will.