Here it is The new x700 info

/ Here it is The new x700 info #41  
I noticed that as well and it sure seems misleading. I don't trust John Deere specs most of the time, because most of the time they are wrong. On new products especially, concrete numbers don't seem to come in until well after the product has been sold.

I did ask my local JD guy last week about the new X700 series. He had JUST gotten off the plane from the training course on these machines in Florida. He did say to me there was a fairly substantial weight drop. When I said 100 pounds he said that sounds about right, and that was it. My guess is John Deere has just thrown up numbers for now and will change them later, they tend to do that.

I think the new X700 series only looks smaller, and it is all because of that hood. The new hood is designed in such a way that it appears to be a lot smaller than the old machines. I think in the end the size is the same.

Since you own a X740 could you check the engine plate and see what the displacement says please?

Last edited:
   / Here it is The new x700 info #42  
I don't think there are enough gains in the new 2013 models to buy one.

What are you gaining? The only new feature is the auto connect option, and HC drive over decks. The plastic has changed as far as looks go, but that doesn't affect performance. The standard seat is a bit better, but still no match for the SE seat.

I think it is all in the eye of the beholder. For some people, the few added options will make or break the deal. For others like myself, I am happier to land a 2012 that I know is reliable, proven, and all the kinks have been worked out.

One thing I will say, I am itching to see how many folks on here do buy a new 2013, and I can't wait to see some detailed photos!

True, the new looks and the new plastic doesn't effect the performance. I actually like the looks of the 2012 series better than the 2013 models. However there are a couple of other enhancements that have my attention. It's great that we all have our own choices to make.

By the way, you don't have to wait to see detailed photos of the 2013s. They are already arriving at some JD dealerships. You may want to check with a dealer near you. An up close and personal inspection is better looking at pictures no matter how detailed.

/ Here it is The new x700 info #43  
Since you own a X740 could you check the engine plate and see what the displacement says please?

My engine is the 904CC model.

This is the only area that I feel I lost out on. Up until 2011 these machines used a 1116 CC engine, for the 2012 model year, JD switched to a smaller displacement engine.

What's funny is the new 2013 models list a 993CC engine. It would appear JD can't make up there minds on an engine size.

Like I said, in this area I do feel a little bit, "sad", because I have the smallest diesel engine out of all the engines to ever be in this series of tractor. Am I missing anything? I don't think so. John Deere did one **** of a job at compensating for the smaller displacement by tuning the fuel injection system. I can engage my mower deck at any speed, idle, 25%, 50% and it does not hesitate. For a 1,200 pound tractor, the 0.9L diesel is still very overkill to begin with.

On the upside, my fuel economy is incredible. I have 2 hours on my machine now, and the fuel gauge has moved maybe the thickness of a pencil tip, just barely noticeable if you look hard. I took the fuel cap off to be sure it was correct, and it is still right up there. If anything, I imagine the 2012 engines will have the greatest fuel economy out of all, given it's lower displacement and finely tuned electronic fuel pump.

This is just rumor, but I have heard the 2013 Yanmar has a TON more wiring on it, do to increased emissions standards, and more sensors added to the engine.

/ Here it is The new x700 info #44  
Nice looking tractor. I like that EFI feature more efficient than carborated

/ Here it is The new x700 info #45  
Nice looking tractor. I like that EFI feature more efficient than carborated

The X700 series has always had fuel injected gas or diesel engines, except for one model, the base X700.

/ Here it is The new x700 info #46  
I visited my dealer today. He had one new model, the X730. I looked it over pretty good. It has a very nice seat. Sits really high. I do think the frame is thinner than that on my 425. But, still pretty strong. Motor still says Kawasaki on it with a JD filter. It didn't have a mower deck on it. I did look at the mounting mechanism. It's one piece on the back; not independent pieces like on my 425. Don't know how that compares to the 2012 models.

Told him I was interested in the X739. So he proceeded to look it up. Then said he couldn't get prices on it because it's not available yet. Said he'd get back with me.

Then I asked about left over 2012's. He did another "search" and said the only models he shows that can still be ordered are X728, X729, and X748. I would only be interested in the X749. They had none in any of their 3 stores.

/ Here it is The new x700 info #47  
Your findings are similar to mine. Sits higher which is the wrong direction for us.

I did take a picture from the rear showing the 730 next to a 748, but was only trying to show the height difference. A lot of the height looks to be in the tires for some reason.

/ Here it is The new x700 info #48  
My engine is the 904CC model.

This is the only area that I feel I lost out on. Up until 2011 these machines used a 1116 CC engine, for the 2012 model year, JD switched to a smaller displacement engine.

What's funny is the new 2013 models list a 993CC engine. It would appear JD can't make up there minds on an engine size.

From what I understand is the lower CC engines shaved the weight off the engine something like 75#. Of course if you don't have the weight you can maybe take a few gussets out here and there to further reduce weight. I had a 2009 740 and considered trading to a 2012 or a 13 to get the warranty flowing good, but the old one is heavier runs so darned good and is proven I don't want to upset the donkey cart.

/ Here it is The new x700 info #49  
Performance wise, would anyone really be able to tell the difference between the three different diesel engines. I rather doubt it, but I can't say from experience. I don't own one yet.

I am still going back and forth between an X748 and X758. I have read all the praises of the X748 from current owners and the cons of the X758. Unfortunately, no one has had any actual experience using the new Signature Series. It will take another trip to my two nearest dealers to help me decide for myself.

Just found some interesting pictures and a personal reveiw (not mine) of the new Signature Series at this site: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=270158

Last edited:
   / Here it is The new x700 info #50  
Performance wise, would anyone really be able to tell the difference between the three different diesel engines. I rather doubt it, but I can't say from experience. I don't own one yet.

I am still going back and forth between an X748 and X758. I have read all the praises of the X748 from current owners and the cons of the X758. Unfortunately, no one has had any actual experience using the new Signature Series. It will take another trip to my two nearest dealers to help me decide for myself.

Just found some interesting pictures and a personal reveiw (not mine) of the new Signature Series at this site: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=270158

I drove a few 2010 diesel X7's a few years back. Compared to my 2012 X740, my machine is definitely quieter with the 0.9L engine. It still sounds like a diesel with the valve chatter, but it is a much smoother running engine. The lack of vibration is amazing on my 2012, you don't feel any vibration at all. In my book, that only spells a longer life for the drive-line of the tractor, vibration is killer fatigue on components.

There isn't much left to say except if you really do want a 2012 you'd better act really fast!