This Mower Deck is The best John Deere can come up with

/ This Mower Deck is The best John Deere can come up with #1  

KEYBEAR

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere X-758
I have a X-758 with the 60 inch HC Deck the side to side leveling is crap . I have 120 hours on the tractor and it is a year old .
The tractor has been great the mower deck not so much . I can not keep it level and adjust it before every mowing . It will be out of level 3/8 to 1/2 inch every time and yes the air in the tires is fine .

When level it cuts well so it takes time before I mow to get it level again I am living with it .
Thinking about putting a lock nut on the two side to side adjusters one above each clevis .
This will not totally stop any up movement should the deck wheel roll over something so it may help .
If for some reason this is not the problem it would be one thing checked off the list .

/ This Mower Deck is The best John Deere can come up with #2  
I had a ZD326 Kubota....decent mower, I thought. I traded for an F3680....great mower and quite better than I realized at the time.

One surprise I had not factored in, and did not realize. The ZD had a suspended mower, the F series had a ground engaged mower. That is a big difference that I did not realize until I experienced it. The F series cut for a 72" is considerably better than the ZD because of mower deck design. Something to be aware of that isn't noted by many when buying. I didn't, just happened into it.

/ This Mower Deck is The best John Deere can come up with #3  
The nut that the adjuster screws into is classed as a "Locknut". It is actually a 'crimped nut' and not the common 'Nyloc'. (Part # M85516), Anyway, it is supposed to stay where it is set and if yours doesn't, take the issue back to your dealer and they should correct it.

There have been several areas of the lift linkage that have been modified since production began. Ask your dealer to search the DTAC system for all upgrades.

Some dealers have sold more X758's than others and the lesser experienced shops may not have had to get so involved with such repairs. Your issue 'should' be covered by your warranty still.

:wrench:

/ This Mower Deck is The best John Deere can come up with #4  
Make a mark on your adjusters, and determine what it is that is moving.

Can't understand why so many complaints from one owner. Sorry, don't mean to offend the OP.

/ This Mower Deck is The best John Deere can come up with
beenthere I sent you a pm

The tractor has been fine what can I do if mower is not right ?
When you buy a new JD Mower Tractor you think it should work .

Last edited:
   / This Mower Deck is The best John Deere can come up with #6  
I read on another forum where the nuts the factory installed on the linkage weren't lock nuts (or maybe they were the nylon kind) and the owner was having the same issue. If not a big issue I would bring it to your dealer and explain to them the issue you are having and let them sort it out. Deere charges a premium for their tractors and your dealer needs to make it right.

/ This Mower Deck is The best John Deere can come up with
Talked to a JD tec this morning they know my 2016 X-758 has a problem with keeping the deck level .
All 2017 have a very small change in the adjuster bolts the new bolts are one pieces not two . The old side to side adjuster bolts road in a half moon part now that is gone . The new bolts are one piece and will stay in place . (so they say) I will see and will have the new bolts this week .

/ This Mower Deck is The best John Deere can come up with #8  
An engineer at my work told me that All-Metal-Locknuts were the most dependable. He called them squash nuts because the top 2 threads were slightly squashed in a press. Also, he said that all locknuts are designed to work once. The more often it is loosened and tightened, the higher the failure rate is.

squash nut.jpg

/ This Mower Deck is The best John Deere can come up with #9  
3/8 to 1/2 inch is a problem???

/ This Mower Deck is The best John Deere can come up with #10  
I read on another forum where the nuts the factory installed on the linkage weren't lock nuts (or maybe they were the nylon kind) and the owner was having the same issue. If not a big issue I would bring it to your dealer and explain to them the issue you are having and let them sort it out. Deere charges a premium for their tractors and your dealer needs to make it right.

Correct

Talked to a JD tec this morning they know my 2016 X-758 has a problem with keeping the deck level .
All 2017 have a very small change in the adjuster bolts the new bolts are one pieces not two . The old side to side adjuster bolts road in a half moon part now that is gone . The new bolts are one piece and will stay in place . (so they say) I will see and will have the new bolts this week .

As I said, the JD DTAC system will alert them to other upgrades on this model relating to the deck lift mechanism. eg. the Lift arms were beefed up at the mounting 'square' hole.

An engineer at my work told me that All-Metal-Locknuts were the most dependable. He called them squash nuts because the top 2 threads were slightly squashed in a press. Also, he said that all locknuts are designed to work once. The more often it is loosened and tightened, the higher the failure rate is.

View attachment 514153

Correct.

3/8 to 1/2 inch is a problem???

3/16" isn't noticeable. JD allow 3mm blade misalignment at dealership level. 3/8" is not great. IF it's dropping 3/8" per mow then eventually it's dragging on the ground.

Deck settings are just that - Set. They should stay put. So this issue really needs to be addressed for the customer by the Dealer who will have warranty support from the Manufacturer.

JD have noted a problem and implemented changes in production. The Dealer needs to access the information and rectify the issue for their customer. No drama. It's commercial normality.
Regards,
:wrench: