New 4520 battery leak/corrosion

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #1  

Tact

Gold Member
Today I noticed white powdery stains on the floor under my new 4520 with only 18 hours. Closer observation I noticed this white powder leakage under the radiator and also covering the battery tray. The model of JD battery is a LVA12925. Is this an ongoing problem with JD batteries? I've tried a search and did not notice any current issues with the batteries. Look at the pics. Does this not look like battery corrosion? I didn't notice any corrosion on the terminals but it did look like some of the acid had overflowed from the top. I'm contacting the dealer in the morning. If it is in fact a defective battery and the dealer replaces it shouldn't the affected area be neutralized and repainted?

Attachments

• DSC03261.JPG
    DSC03261.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 702
  • DSC03262.JPG
    DSC03262.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 709
  • DSC03263.JPG
    DSC03263.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC03264.JPG
    DSC03264.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 605
  • DSC03265.JPG
    DSC03265.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 612
   / New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #2  
It sure looks like battery corrosion although the lack of corrosion on top of battery makes me think the battery case must be cracked or damaged somewhere. I would be pulling the battery out and check it over carefully. If it is still in warranty, the dealer should clean and paint all damaged surfaces and replace the battery.

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion
Am I the only JD owner who has had this issue?

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #4  
I haven't been successful in finding the messages here on TBN but I thought that it was a problem. I can tell you that the dealer replaced the battery at my 4320's 50 hour service, without my complaining about it, so there might be a recall.

The dealer is on the way to my place to pick the tractor up. My big complaint now is that they are charging me $40 for pick up and delivery for a tracto with 18 hours. They say that pick ups are not covered under warranty. Enough said for customer service at my dealer.....that sucks.

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #7  
i have problems with my 2006 4320 w/cab and 400 cx

73 hr

dealer said they have never seen a leaking batt

we will see the outcome

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #8  
woodrr said:
i have problems with my 2006 4320 w/cab and 400 cx

73 hr

dealer said they have never seen a leaking batt

we will see the outcome

I start to get upset when I hear a dealer state they have never heard or seen a leaking battery - where do they live under rocks? leaking batteries on new and older John Deere machines is all too common and its been an issue for 3 to 4 years now. Dont tell me deere dosent have all the info it needs to make a smarter choice in batteries, to eliminate all this aggravation -

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #9  
Tact said:
They say that pick ups are not covered under warranty.
I'm betting it also says the same thing in your warranty paper work you got when you bought the tractor.

Willl said:
I'm betting it also says the same thing in your warranty paper work you got when you bought the tractor.
I don't know about the paperwork, but I found a sticker under the hood stating that pickups and deliveries were not covered by warranty. I still sucks.