New 4520 battery leak/corrosion

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion
woodrr said:
i have problems with my 2006 4320 w/cab and 400 cx

73 hr

dealer said they have never seen a leaking batt

we will see the outcome
Your dealer is smoking something illegal.

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #12  
Side note; 790 owners. The red top Optima will fit with zero (0) modifications.

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #13  
The first thing I would do is find a sealed battery that fits your tractor and buy it! Have the dealer repair the parts needed and then install the new battery. Doen't use a JD battery unless it's sealed. The problem will come about again. JD is aware of this problem and I still don't know why they won't use sealed batteries. Warranty will cover this problem but just don't use their battery. This is what I did to fix my problems with batteriey and I haven't had a problem since going with a sealed battery

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #14  
This issue has been ongoing for some time, now. Deere is/should be well aware of the problem.

Do a search for Optima batteries here on TBN ---- that will give you some idea of what JD owner's have been doing to resolve the problem without Deere's help.

I guess that the Yellow top Optima battery will work for the JD 970 tractor.

AKfish

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #15  
It seems like this problem may have begun with the 4000 series tractors. The batteries leaked, not because the cases broke, but from the top, where the holes were for filling the battery. My battery was replaced (I have a 4300) bought in 2002. I caught it early and was able to avoid rusting of the radiator and the oil cooler. Many members reported this problem beginnibng with the 4000 series.

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #16  
OK, I've joined the leaking battery crew and want to throw this thread to the top for updates.

I did some thread searching and have read a lot regarding swaping out the JD Strongbox battery with an Optima. There was a lot of discussion about Optima changing models. There was also discussion regarding "Red Top" vs. "Yellow Top" vs. "Blue Top". However, I did not see if anyone had found a good model for the 4x20 series.

Soooo, any updates? New model #'s? Tact, what was your result?

Helllllppppp!

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #17  
Boatermark,

After posting my message earlier today in another thread, I tried looking for the Optima batteries for my 4310. No luck with them. I then, perish the thought, went to the John Deere website. Turns out that they have a new sealed battery that they are advertizing as "dry". In the case of the 4310, the appropriate battery is a 22NF, model TY25877. It has 500 CCA. Cost is $75.09 (US) with core return (otherwise 79.09).

I found a JD dealer that has several in stock and will be heading there after work.

-- Glenn

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #18  
Please disregard my previous post.

Just back from the JD Dealer.

The model number listed above is correct. However, the picture on the website as well as "dry" being in the description is misleading. The 22NF has the same fill "knobs" on top just like the old battery. It is "dry" because it is warehoused and shipped in the dry state. When you purchase the battery, the electrolyte is added while you wait.

Not a total loss, though. I at least did get a battery as well as pick up information on iMatch and servicing.

My apologies for the misinformation.

-- Glenn

/ New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #19  
   / New 4520 battery leak/corrosion #20  
Fellow 4310 owner here...to the Original Poster, to my eye it looks like
it has battery corrosion that has been neutralized before and covered up
with some new paint. It looked like in one picture there was a bit of black paint overspray on one of your hydraulic fittings.

As for the ongoing battery problems, my 4310 is 3 years old now, and has been back to the dealer once for the new battery, neutralize, paint routine.
The battery that they installed is just like the prior leaker. The problem isn't just the liquid acid, but also the corrosive FUMES, and guess where they get sucked....right through the radiator and oil cooler. It's hard to get in between all those little crooks and crevices on a radiator to neutralize that stuff. I'm thinking 2 more years and the cover-up paint will start to blister and presto...eaten' up radiator.

SO, I'm thinking buy a NEW radiator now, and install a sealed battery like the Optima, or maybe an Odyssey. They make good batteries that can be mounted upside down if need be.

Anybody know how many CCAs we need to start a 4310 ?