Mowing New to Mowing & Brush Hogging Steep Slopes

/ New to Mowing & Brush Hogging Steep Slopes #1  

jdpotter

Tractor
Deere 2320
I have seen previous posts on cutting steep slopes, but cannot seem to find them now. I have some steep slopes (>20%) some with tough grass that will need BH, others with lawn. type grass. I do have space to go straight up or straight down but what is recommended- going down in reverse or up in forward? Use 4WD or not? I remember previous posts saying do not go down except in reverse. Will it matter if using a brush hog or MMM? What about forward or rear ballast? Is it better to have FEL on for forward ballast or use weights? If using MMM should I keep BH on for rear ballast or use ballast box?

What has worked best?

Using 2320 with Frontier RC1048 or 54D MMM.

/ New to Mowing & Brush Hogging Steep Slopes #2  
twas me I'd go forward down and forward up.

/ New to Mowing & Brush Hogging Steep Slopes #3  
RobJ said:
twas me I'd go forward down and forward up.

I agree with Rob.

If you have to go backwards one of the ways, then I'd back up. It's too dangerous to keep control going down backwards.

Eddie

/ New to Mowing & Brush Hogging Steep Slopes #4  
I have the same dilemma with mowing some steep hill sides. What I have found works best for me is going forward down hill and backing up going up hill. Only ballast I use is fluid in the tires.

/ New to Mowing & Brush Hogging Steep Slopes #5  
Whichever way you decide, be sure to use 4wd even going down, it will keep you from sliding. Also if you use loader for front ballast, be sure to keep as low to ground as possible for low center of gravity. Also if you have foldable rops, be sure it is up and seat belt is on.

/ New to Mowing & Brush Hogging Steep Slopes #6  
Make sure to go as slow as possible. Be aware of holes & tree stumps. Make sure that you have another person available to check on you. Take your time!

/ New to Mowing & Brush Hogging Steep Slopes #7  
   / New to Mowing & Brush Hogging Steep Slopes #8  
I would drive up and down forward. At 20% [11 degrees] you could even go across safely if done at prudent speed, altho much more would be pushing it with the FEL unloading the rears as they do. If you can easily remove the bucket if would be worthwhile for side slope stability. With gentle grades front to back stability does not become an issue.
larry

/ New to Mowing & Brush Hogging Steep Slopes #9  
JerryG said:
Here are a couple of links to threads where we have discussed mowing steep hills.
The first one has a link to a photo of the steepest place that I mow with any regularity.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/99132-tactical-question-fel-steep-hill-2.html?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/safety/105706-how-far-too-far-2.html
Looks much like the slope coming up from the spillway of my lake. About 25 to 28 degrees. Ive measured mine. Thats a 50 to getting near 55% slope. Ive had no problem up down - - or even sideways w/o FEL. But I wouldnt recommend it to another.
larry

/ New to Mowing & Brush Hogging Steep Slopes #10  
I'm another proponent of driving forward if you have enough room at the bottom and top of the slopes. If you don't have a loader, or prefer to mow sans loader, you will want front ballast.
Also, only mow when the weeds, grass and brush are dry. Wet grass and brush are slick as ice! Walk the area to ensure it's dry...what may be dry at the top might be quite wet nearer the ground. 4WD helps, but 4WD can slide on wet grass just as easily as 2WD.
Also, no gear changes...select your gear and stay in it until you reach the top or bottom of the slope.
And, use that seatbelt!