2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #1  

jd2520

hello all i have a 2008 2520 which i think is a great tractor for my needs. lthough i have an issue that i've wonderd about since new. when starting cold i get quite a bit of heavy bluish gray smoke for about 30 seconds so much it fills my garage is this normal? i have only 36 hrs on it. it also stumbles when idle is brought up moderatley within the first five or so minutes. after about 10 min. of running everything is fine.

also i just installed the jd blockheater should it is pretty tight but still has about 3 threads left till bottomed out on block is this correct?

by the way new to diesels. any other 50 hour service tips or tips in general would be appreciated.

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #2  
On the 3 diesels that I've owned (and still have 2 of them), you need to give them some throttle to get them started cold. In cold weather, sometimes half throttle is needed for the engine not to start, stumble and die or to start and stumble a bit. Of course, cut the throttle back to get about 1500 rpm once it gets going and not stumbling.

Also, make sure you follow the correct startup procedure. On glow plug JD engines of late, JD didn't put the correct startup procedure in their owner's manual. We have no glow plug light. We have to leave in gear with key turned to start for 2 to 6 seconds (upper value in cold weather0 before putting selector in "N" to start. Start is instantaneous, about a 1/2 turn of the crank starts it. Still works this way on my 25 year old Benz with 209k on it. Think your 2520 is direct injection and may have inlet air heating. Make sure you're following the right procedure.

You may still get a little bit of blue smoke. I get about a second or so of blue smoke and a little bit of white smoke from my 4010 when it's really cold. The old Benz produces some, too. Both last only a couple seconds at the most.

If yours isn't starting instantly, you could be getting more oil in the upper cylinder as a result and producing more blue smoke. Could be it isn't broken in yet.

Ralph

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #3  
Not sure where you're located jd2520, but I'm from Canada and it doesn't get any colder than here. The diesel engine, being a compression ignition engine relies on heat to run. Cold cylinder temperatures on initial startup result in rough running and lots of smoke due to imcomplete combustion. After a short time the engine runs more smoothly and the smoke should diminish to nothing. On your 2520 I believe it's the same as my 2320, turn the key to the run position and the glow plugs come on automatically for a few seconds and then go out. With my tractor plugged in I'm amazed how quickly it starts in -40F weather, it just fires right up. Contrary to popular belief it's only that cold here for a few days at most in winter. Of course I'm running 0W40 oil in it so that helps as well. Enjoy your new tractor, they are awesome!

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #4  
I think that is how my block heater screwed in. You will be amazed how well it starts with the block heater. At my altitude, 8600ft, my 790 requires intake heat almost year around to start but with the block heater plugged in starts like a car, quick turn of the key, no smoke, ready to go immediately. If you leave it plugged in all the time it will burn out. I burned my first out in about 6 months. Might want to put on a timer or just plug it in the night before you expect to need it.

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #5  
On your 2520 I believe it's the same as my 2320, turn the key to the run position and the glow plugs come on automatically for a few seconds and then go out.

2520 has no glow plugs....it is direct injection.

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #6  
Ok I was wrong about glow plugs on this engine, it has an intake air heater, but just because a diesel is direct injection doesn't mean it can't have glow plugs, the duramax is one example.

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #7  
Re your engine heater: just plug it in about an hour before you want to start up. We have a block heater on our 1983 Benz and had a radiator hose heater on our 1973 Benz. I once started the 1973 at -22 F outside after running its heater for about an hour. Glowed it for near a minute (those one glow plugs were like that); it fired right up (with throttle mashed about 1/2 way to the floor, of course)! Down the road, it stopped after about 2 to 3 miles. Let it sit a minute or so. Restarted. Went another 2 or 3 miles. Let sit a minute or so. Restarted and was fine. 'twas my first and only experience with waxing of the fuel filter. The fuel filter on Benzes is mounted right up against the engine. Good design.

Ralph

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #8  
Ok I was wrong about glow plugs on this engine, it has an intake air heater, but just because a diesel is direct injection doesn't mean it can't have glow plugs, the duramax is one example.

Sorry if that came across as rude, didn't mean it that way, was just pointing out that it doesn't have glow plugs.

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #9  
Hiya,

Just a thought, change your fuel station. See if it makes a difference in how it starts.

I have found that the cetane rating of Diesel makes a big difference in how they start and run in cooler temps. In years of driving over the road trucks, I have found a vast difference in quality of Diesel from station to station.

If your still pushing smoke and it runs like a bag of worms when it's cold, add a cetane boost additive and see how that does. If that doesn't fix it, might want to see if your injector timing is a degree or two retarded, when the injection event is late, you get less total cylinder pressure and less heat and pressure to keep the fuel burning well throughout the power stroke.

My 2 cents,

Tom

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install
i will try an additive ifmy injector timing was off wouldnt it stumble even when at operating temp ?