2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #11  
i will try an additive ifmy injector timing was off wouldnt it stumble even when at operating temp ?

Not always. You could have the timing be advanced a bit and still not have a stumble when warm. When we tune trucks, we have to be careful about winter tunes. Some tunes are very hard to start in the winter.

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #12  
Sorry if that came across as rude, didn't mean it that way, was just pointing out that it doesn't have glow plugs.

It didn't come across as rude to me, maybe my response seemed a little defensive, sorry.

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #13  
At least on mine it needs to be plugged in a lot more than an hour to have an effect. I know that 2 hours isn't enough and overnight is enough. I've tried different fuel stations and additives with no noticeable effect. At least at my altitude and generally cool temperatures the two Yanmar engines I have owned take intake heat or block heat to start and only block heat will allow it to start without a lot of smoke.

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #14  
JD2520,

My 2520 has glow plugs and an indicator light. The glow plugs operate for 13 seconds and then time out, and the interval can be extended manually for really cold weather starts. My dealer doesn't recommend a block heater as he expects the tractor will start at sub-zero temperatures without it.

If I start the engine at 1/2 throttle it sputters and coughs while warming up, but if I start the engine just above idle it runs fine. So I start it, let it run a few moments, then open the throttle to about 1500 RPM at which speed it runs for a couple of minutes to ensure all the hydraulic fluid is warmed.

Adding a cetane boost product (PowerService) to the fuel eliminated the startup smoke and smell of incomplete combustion.

Kamik

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #15  
Some smoke at start up is normal, but it shouldn't last that long. I doubt that it is a timing issue.

I would take it in under warranty and have them look at it. A leaking/sticking injector can cause all your symptoms and it is to new to really be an issue of fuel fouling injectors unless you let it idle a lot.

I would leave the throttle at idle when you start it as cold cylinders cannot burn the fuel you are trying to put in and the result will be lots of smoke.

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #16  
Sometimes I raise the throttle on mine just to get it to fire quicker. Then i immediately rip it down to idle. Let it idle 5 minutes before I work it much. It started in below Zero temps last year no problem.

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #17  
Your better off than I am, your direct injection starts alot easier cold than my indirect 2320. I was moving snow last year, left it outside for a couple hours and came back to finish and she was a bugger to start.

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #18  
I think your 2320 is a newer version of my 4110. Try putting in gear and
turning key to start position for 5 or 10 seconds, then put in nutruel and
try to start with throttle a little higher than idle. Works for me. Good Luck
elad

/ 2520 cold start smoke/ blockheater install #20  
Hi Willl,

The engine in my 2520, 3TNV82A-BMJK, has 3 glow plugs, JD part # MIU800816. They're listed in the cylinder head, valves and rocker arms section of the illustrated parts breakdown as item 34. The electrical section of the IPB calls out glow plug relays and wiring harness connectors.

Interestingly, the operator manual has no reference to glow plugs, neither instrument cluster nor start procedure.

Kamik