JD 2520 3rd hydraulic

/ JD 2520 3rd hydraulic #1  

Glen Jr

I'm in the process of building a grapple for the JD 200 CX on my '07 2520.
Does any one have some info on adding a 3rd hydraulic control for this?
I've checked with 2 different JD dealers and neither have a solid answer.
Any info would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
Glen

/ JD 2520 3rd hydraulic #2  
There is a kit that will allow you to have a diverter valve installed, this may be all you'll need but you won't be able to blend one function with another (for example, you may set things up such that you can't lift and close the grapple but you can tilt and close).

Do you have Power Beyond? Before this kit was available I added a pair of rear SCVs to my PB ports and documented the procedure and components here. If I need to I can use all 4 SCVs independently - if I grew an extra arm or could manage the joystick with a foot. :)

/ JD 2520 3rd hydraulic #3  
Welcome to TBN Glen:D

There are a few options you can use, the added rear ports that JD suggested will work-you would just run long hoses from the rear ports under the tractor, up the loader mast, then down the arms to connect to the grapple.

Another option is a electric diverter solenoid that "splits" the curl circuit when a button is pushed on the joystick. I added one to my machine a few years ago for a FEL snowplow that I built, and now have a Markham 48" Grapple on the way...

You can view my diverter install thread HERE

Let us know what route you would like to take, and we will provide better detailed info. In the mean time...search these terms for a lot good reading:

diverter
grapple
remote
3rd function
FEL plow
FEL snowplow

/ JD 2520 3rd hydraulic
Thanks to all for the info.
Apparently there are several ways to accomplish this.
I'm curious though, is there some reason a person cannot just add a 3rd
valve in sequence with the factory valve's? Would it be possible to get an aftermarket, open spool valve and go from the JD out line, in to the after market in line and then back in to the JD return?
I have not actually taken a close look at things to see if this possible.
Right now, just thinking how to plumb this project.

Thanks again for the info,
Glen

/ JD 2520 3rd hydraulic #6  
What are your hydraulic skills currently? Adding another set of SCVs in sequence won't work, you'd only get flow when you've got the other valve open. You could theoretically add one in parallel, but this may require a lot more rework on the existing valves than you'd like to do and when you're using one the flow rate on the other will drop. The official means of doing this is a diverter valve which will shunt the flow from one SCV to another at the push of a button, this may be cleaner than tapping into the existing lines.

On the other hand, there's plenty of flow that's rarely used at the Power Beyond loopback port. Plus it's got a quick connect already so adding and removing an open center valve (or group of them) is trivial. I happened to put my valve on the rear of the tractor and plumbed my QCs for the hydraulic drops right off it, but there's nothing that says you can't locate the valves someplace more convenient to you or route the new QCs by the loader's.

/ JD 2520 3rd hydraulic #7  
Glen, you can't really add a valve in series on the JD's because the valve is bolted directly to the transmission case, so there is no access to the IN and OUT ports for the valve, the only access to the hydraulic system is via the powerbeyond ports that are on the spacer plate between the valve and the tranny case. Jim's thread does a excellent job of showing this setup.

/ JD 2520 3rd hydraulic
Today I finally had a chance to take a look at the hyd. system
on my 2520. What you guys are telling me is perfectly clear now!

First I want to get that grapple on the bucket so I'll work on that now.
Kenny, do you have spec's or model info on the diverter you used?
I checked with Surplus Center and they no longer have those that you
used on your project.

While I'm at it, I might get some outlets working at the rear.
Was qouted $450 for the power beyond kit from my local JD dealer.
Does that sound about right for price?

Thanks again,
Glen

/ JD 2520 3rd hydraulic #9  
Based on what I've seen by people far more skilled than I am, the JD parts tend to be fairly reasonably priced - hydraulic stuff third party tends to be just as expensive and far less clean of an installation. The diverter valve (LVB25823) lists for $421, PB (LVB25603) is $270, and the rear SCV kit (LVB25606) is $241.

Edit: This is from the Build Your Own information on the Deere page, but I don't know if it includes labor for a post-sale installation or not.

/ JD 2520 3rd hydraulic #10  
Kenny, do you have spec's or model info on the diverter you used?
I checked with Surplus Center and they no longer have those that you
used on your project.
The one I used is still available, look HERE. Click the 'more specs" tab for port layout. It's also $75.00 more now:eek:

Another option is THIS one, same thing but different.

The PB kit should only be about $250 or so, not sure where they got that price from? But if you follow Jim's thread you only need to order the screw that blocks off the "thru" port and directs the fluid to the out port.