JD4520 and tilt hydraulics - have questions

/ JD4520 and tilt hydraulics - have questions #1  

eepete

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Kubota B21, JD 318
I'm trying to locate a tilt cylinder for my 3PH on my 4x20 tractor. A previous thread I started detailed getting my hydraulic top link working, this is the 2nd half of a top and tilt (TnT) project. The hydraulic top link is great, I just need to get a .030 orifice for it, it can move a bit too fast for my liking.

I measured my adjustable screw arm and fully retracted it's 17.5" center to center. At this fully retracted position, everything is level. It can extend about 5.5" to a length of 23". When I used this adjustable side on my 6' box blade, I never put more than an inch of extension on it. That gave me a lot of tilt.
My JD dealer has a cylinder that is 3.5" outside diameter, a 1.5" diameter rod, and a travel range of 3". Fully retracted it is 17.5". The 'U' shaped end of it that goes on the draft arms has 4 sets of holes in it, and I would use the ones closes to the cylinder and leave the next set of holes free just in case. I would cut the remainder off. It looks like this cylinder is made for a number of different types of tractors.

So, my current setup has a manual range of 17.5" to 23", but I've only used 1" of adjustment. Note that I can only tilt down on the right hand side of the tractor, I can not tilt the "other way" from level with this manual adjustment. The cylinder has a range of 17.5 to 21.5", and would also only tilt in only one direction if I just replaced my manually adjustable with the cylinder.

Questions:
1) Isn't it desirable to have a TnT that can tilt both ways?
2) If I swap the manually adjustable to the other side, and extend it 1.5", I can get 1.5" of tilt at the arms in either direction. This looks like about a foot of tilt on the far end of the box blade. So the question is, on the 4000 series, how much travel (stroke) does the tilt cylinder need?
3) Is putting the old manually adjustable cylinder on the other side and leaving it out by 1.5" an OK way to get tilt in both directions?
4) Is the 1.5" cylinder rod diameter OK for the 4250 (60HP) tractor?
5) Any other specific suggestions for a cylinder that I could get?

I hope that Steve (jenkinsph) will be all over this and started a new thread for those facing the same problem down the road. One other ancillary tidbit- I have an iMatch on order for this.

Pete

Last edited:
   / JD4520 and tilt hydraulics - have questions #2  
If you call CCM, they will make you a custom cylinder with a DPOCV.

/ JD4520 and tilt hydraulics - have questions #3  
Pete,
Yeah I'm here nothing like being a full time care giver and small bizz person at the same time.

Anyway to answer some questions
1) Yes, you should swap the adjustable screw arm to the other side and save the plain one. Using the adjustment you can get a good tilt either side it just depends on what you need. If I am cutting a ditch for instance I will screw the adjuster all the way up to get maximum tilt angle to the right side. This is shown in the picture and if it is set in the middle as you can imagine you would get about half of that available to you in either direction.

2) I have 4 inches of stroke, I would not want any less, thats with a factory cylinder. See second picture.

3) Yes this will work, food for thought, if you find you need more tilt without fooling with the manual adjustment you can put in a cylinder on both sides using the same circuit.

4) Looks about right I will have to get you a rod diameter measurement, recognize that these cylinders are for the most part pulling rather than pushing and with a larger rod diameter you sacrifice the lifting or pulling force,probably not enough to worry about though.

5) I used to have good connections for hydraulic parts but today do not. Most of the cheap stuff will work but hard to say how long. Considering the hassel looking for the right combination to work I am sticking with the factory stuff.

Here are some pictures

/ JD4520 and tilt hydraulics - have questions #4  
I was thinking of buying the 16-22.5 hydraulic top link from CCM, cutting the cylinder rod swivel eye off and welding on a saddle strap in its place, and using it as a hydraulic side link on my 3320. The factory links are straight with no angles or doglegs, so this should be a simple thing to do. I do not know about the 4x20 series though.

/ JD4520 and tilt hydraulics - have questions
Kenny and Steve, you both have what I call the "curse of competence".

@Cocre: If CCM can make the entire assembly, that would work for me. 4x20 series looks to be a straight shot on the side link.

Kenny, I have the DPOCV on the toplink. I was going with a plain cylinder on the tilt so I could float it if I needed to. It also seemed that the price of failure and leak-down would be less with the tilt than the top. That said, the effect of a .030 or so constriction to slow the speed might make the float not very effective. If you have any thoughts on the functional differences between the two options, I'd love to hear them.

Steve, you've answered all my questions and now I'm down to finding the right cylinder. I'm going to have the JD dealer verify the stoke, and if it is indeed 3" (as they said) then I'll call CCM. The cylinder the JD dealer had looks exactly like the one in your picture, so maybe it was not fully extended when they measured it and they need to pull off the caps and see for sure.

Thanks to both of you.

Pete

/ JD4520 and tilt hydraulics - have questions #6  
The ONLY downside of the DPOCV's is the lack of ability to float like you said...I am curious about the restrictor also and the float ability? I guess it may depend on the weight of the implement but not sure. I have never had the opportunity to test it.

I was trying to think ahead/figure out how when I connect to the MX6 rotary mower I could float the tilt so the mower could move around (vertically). Normally, I'd rotate the pins in the bottom so they can float a bit, but that's a "get out of the cab" moment. Yes, I've got to do that anyway for the PTO but it's more to do and probably harder to do when the mower is on than to do before you put it on. This is a one time or two times out of the cab consideration. Then there's the problem that when the TnT is connected to the joystick, the left/right used for bucket curl would be the most sense for tilt, but it doesn't have a float position like the (typically) up down for loader. And the up/down (positions 3/4) movement makes the most sense for the top link.
Another possibility is to use a variable flow valve (i.e. instead of fixed restrictor a variable one) and then if you where putting on the mower you could "dial it up" which would be easier than flipping the bottom pins around. More flow means faster float. This could be done when connecting the PTO shaft, and would be easier than moving the links either with the mower on or in a separate get down out of the cab moment before connecting to the mower with the iMatch.

Since controlling the TnT via the joystick will be new to me, I very well might just be able to develop the correct "muscle memory" to use up-down for tilt and left-right for the toplink. Then I can float the tilt.

So in addition to all the logistics of the correct cylinder, I want to be sure to get all the lengths on the hydraulic lines such that I can swap things around. It may turn out that the up/down on the joystick is good for the toplink, but I'll use the 3rd SCV for the tilt so I can float it with the mower on. Of course that's still in the same direction as the up-down on the joystick, so the muscle memory adaptation problem is the same. Then, it's a separate problem to see how well/fast the float works with a restrictor and if it's a problem change it out to a variable one.

The win of the DPOCV valve in the tilt is clear- off is off and it doesn't move. Doing this clearly means that before mounting the MX6 I would have to flip the pins on the draft arms so it could float. Joystick is then intuitive. If I'm not changing between the MX6 and other implements often, it's all not a problem. It always comes back to defining your needs and how you will use your equipment.

So all this is going in circle in my head. Instead of being clever enough to be right, I just want to be flexible enough that I can stumble on a solution that works for me.

I am very receptive to any "Stop spinning Pete, do this and it will work in the real world" advice. You guys already sold me on the TnT and iMatch.

Steve: I just re-read/re-thunk your comment 5. Does that mean that your tilt cylinder is a JD part #? Dealer said the JD didn't make a TnT kit, and hence no cylinder for the tilt.

Pete

Last edited:
   / JD4520 and tilt hydraulics - have questions #8  
Pete

WOW! You are overthinking this. I don't see the concern for the use with the MX6, first of all let me say that the front of the mower is hanging from the hitch and if you adjusted it to hang square with the tractor then it will follow the tractor. The entire hitch is free to move upwards and with the swivel top link the mower tail wheel can move independently too. So, without front guage wheels I don't see where this matters.

My hitch is in the float position all the time and most of my implements are heavy enough for this to work well. I use the topntilt to raise or hold suspended the implement where needed.

Topntilt is not set it and forget it, concern about cylinder leak down is not very important in my opinion. If you are using a box blade to produce a finished grade you will be tweaking the boxblade frequently anyway. Lots of finite adjustments needed to hold grade.

Bear in mind that prior to installing the topntilt these opportunities to adjust on the fly did not exist, so it changes how you can use the implements.

I think you would be better off to go with the basic topntilt hitch first as I outlined with the joystick control before deciding if you need anything else.

/ JD4520 and tilt hydraulics - have questions #9  
Tilt cylinder part # AH222403
Top cylinder part # AH168698

Hope this helps

Pete

WOW! You are overthinking this....

My hitch is in the float position all the time..

I think you would be better off to go with the basic topntilt hitch first as I outlined with the joystick control before deciding if you need anything else.

Well, inside every engineer is a borderline obsessive compulsive screaming to get out, and some days mine gets the better of me. Thanks for the slap in the face, I needed that :D

The hitch in float all the time is the missing piece that makes it work for me. I'll do what you did and take it from there if need be, but your experience indicates I'll be just fine and at that point where the limits of the operator far outweigh the limits of the equipment.

tnx for the part #s, I've emailed them to my dealer. I'll post pix when it's all happy.

Pete