SE SEAT FOR MY 2520

/ SE SEAT FOR MY 2520 #1  

glc24

Platinum Member
I started to figure a mount for the SE seat today. I didn't realize until I took the seat out of its box that the dealer had included the "Attaching Parts Kit" at no extra charge to me...........nice:)

Starting from the upper left,the first and second pics are what comes with the kit. The third pic shows the original seat sliders. They are unbolted,that's why the one is leaning. In case you were wondering:D The fourth pic is the seat bracket that bolts to the sliders,and the fifth pic shows what I'm going to remove. I shouldn't have too much trouble,there is only those two small circular welds and the two small beads. I'll drill through the holes and use a cutoff wheel on the beads.

So far,unless something won't work out,the two pieces on the new seat shown in the lower left pic,is (hopefully) all I'll need to use. In the last pic,I'm holding the seat bracket. It's hard to tell from the pic,but I need another 3/8" on each side,so the brackets on the new seat end up on the outside of the bracket I'm holding. If I can't hold those seat brackets in the mill vise,I'm sure I can die grind 3/8",so as to make a slot and slide the brackets out to give me the necessary 3/4".

I may have to do something to the back of the original seat bracket where the new seat brackets will rest. I won't know what I'll need until I get the said tasks done.

kennyd,if you see this,might the attaching parts kit help you out getting that seat on your tractor?

Greg

Attachments

• SEAT CHANGE 001.jpg
    SEAT CHANGE 001.jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 463
  • SEAT CHANGE 002.jpg
    SEAT CHANGE 002.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 325
  • SEAT CHANGE 004.jpg
    SEAT CHANGE 004.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 503
  • SEAT CHANGE 005.jpg
    SEAT CHANGE 005.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 395
  • SEAT CHANGE 005A.jpg
    SEAT CHANGE 005A.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 508
  • SEAT CHANGE 008.jpg
    SEAT CHANGE 008.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 453
  • SEAT CHANGE 009.jpg
    SEAT CHANGE 009.jpg
    870.5 KB · Views: 473
   / SE SEAT FOR MY 2520 #2  
You got me thinking again!

/ SE SEAT FOR MY 2520
Seat is on the tractor:):)
First pic shows the tractor slider bracket with piece removed.
Second pic shows the seat brackets and seat installed on tractor.
Third pic shows the material I removed from each bracket.
I slotted the seat brackets on the mill as much as possible,but I still couldn't get enough distance to put the seat brackets on the outside of the slider bracket. I ended up with about a 5/8" long slot.
I figured what would be wrong with putting the seat brackets on the inside. I had to take a bit of material from them so they would clear the slider bracket when tilting. It wasn't a big deal. The only other mod was what is shown in the third pic. That wasn't much work either. The rod that holds the seat to the bracket is longer than it needs to be now,being the brackets are inward more than the stock seat. I may cut it down or just leave it be. I think I'll add a piece of rubber under the seat so there is ever so slight of a gap between the mating surfaces of the seat and slider brackets.
One other thing that needs attention is the cluster of wires directly behind the seat,because when you slide the seat all the way back you can hear it pushing against them.
The seat mod went alot better than I anticipated. If anyone is thinking of doing this,seriously consider the kit for this seat. Even though I only used the two seat brackets,it sure made it easy and saved alot of time having to fabricate something.
Sorry I didn't take separate pics of what I did to each seat bracket. I was in a hurry to get it on the tractor before dinner.
Yeah,it's overpriced (what isn't that has John Deere on the box),but I think it's well worth it in the long run.
Final picture is finished product and ooooh man,is it ever nice to sit on!:D

Greg

Attachments

• SEAT CHANGE 013.jpg
    SEAT CHANGE 013.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 497
  • SEAT CHANGE 014.jpg
    SEAT CHANGE 014.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 457
  • SEAT CHANGE 015.jpg
    SEAT CHANGE 015.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 492
  • SEAT CHANGE 019.jpg
    SEAT CHANGE 019.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,164
   / SE SEAT FOR MY 2520 #4  
Looks pretty comfortable. It will make seat time even better.

/ SE SEAT FOR MY 2520 #5  
Did you happen to measure the before/after height?

/ SE SEAT FOR MY 2520
Hey Ken
There is approximately a 1" height change,only from the thickness of the SE seat,not because of the mount. It worked out pretty good,being the oem seat was higher off the slider bracket front and back. The SE sat lower but had more thickness,so they kind of evened out.:)

Greg

/ SE SEAT FOR MY 2520 #7  
Hey Ken
There is approximately a 1" height change,only from the thickness of the SE seat,not because of the mount.

Greg

Interesting...others reported 3" or so in the older post's I researched. But they did not use the bracket you did...I'll have to check and see if you can just buy those instead of the whole kit.

I may have to revisit this project, I have had no luck selling mine yet on CL. One guy did call me from my TBN classified add but he wanted it for about $100 or so-I told him I would make a bar stool out of it before I gave it away!

/ SE SEAT FOR MY 2520
I measured again when I got home from work. The average is still basically 1". If you use the front of the factory seat,you can get as much as 2". It's difficult to get a really accurate height difference because the SE seat is pretty much level (there may be just an ever so slight tilt downward in the front) front to back. The factory seat has a much more pronouced tilt downward in the front.
Also the factory seat has a taper,larger in back smaller in front,whereas the SE seat is the same thickness front to back. Like I stated before,all in all,it's a pretty even swap height wise.

Greg

/ SE SEAT FOR MY 2520 #9  
Your bum oughtta like that ! Needs yeller arm rests though. :)

/ SE SEAT FOR MY 2520 #10  
I started to figure a mount for the SE seat today. I didn't realize until I took the seat out of its box that the dealer had included the "Attaching Parts Kit" at no extra charge to me...........nice:)

Starting from the upper left,the first and second pics are what comes with the kit. The third pic shows the original seat sliders. They are unbolted,that's why the one is leaning. In case you were wondering:D The fourth pic is the seat bracket that bolts to the sliders,and the fifth pic shows what I'm going to remove. I shouldn't have too much trouble,there is only those two small circular welds and the two small beads. I'll drill through the holes and use a cutoff wheel on the beads.

So far,unless something won't work out,the two pieces on the new seat shown in the lower left pic,is (hopefully) all I'll need to use. In the last pic,I'm holding the seat bracket. It's hard to tell from the pic,but I need another 3/8" on each side,so the brackets on the new seat end up on the outside of the bracket I'm holding. If I can't hold those seat brackets in the mill vise,I'm sure I can die grind 3/8",so as to make a slot and slide the brackets out to give me the necessary 3/4".

I may have to do something to the back of the original seat bracket where the new seat brackets will rest. I won't know what I'll need until I get the said tasks done.

kennyd,if you see this,might the attaching parts kit help you out getting that seat on your tractor?

Greg

What did that end up costing you?