JD 755 won't start

/ JD 755 won't start #1  

drcaseyd

My JD 755 was working great and then wouldn't start. The starter turns fine, but the engine won't kick in. I removed the filter, cleaned the bowl and bled the lines. It started and ran for a minute before it started running roughly and then died. I figured I had some bad gas, so I drained the tank and bled the lines again. It still wouldn't start. I have fuel flowing into the injector pump, but nothing comes out. Is there something that would keep the pump from starting, or do I need to replace it? If I need to replace it, how do I do it?

/ JD 755 won't start #2  
Is the fuel shut-off solenoid working? If not, then try pushing the plunger in by hand and the crank. It should start. If the solenoid is working, then it sounds like the pump is at fault.

/ JD 755 won't start #3  
What happened before it wouldn't start? Did you run out of fuel?

The couple of times I ran out of diesel and had to re-prime the system, I had the same symptoms as you described and just had to be patient in working the air out of the system. Any air in the system is going to cause you problems until you can bleed it out--and it takes patience.

If nothing is coming out of the injectors when you crack the injectors a bit to get the air out, then you would have to look more closely at the injector pump.

/ JD 755 won't start
No, I didn'trun out of fuel. I've gotall the air out of the systme up to the injector pump. I've read some more, and I'm thinking I have a problem with the shut off solenoid. The big problem now is I don't know where it is or how to check. Any suggestions?

/ JD 755 won't start #5  

Attachments

• Solenoid.jpg
    Solenoid.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 2,506
   / JD 755 won't start
The solenoid plunger was stuck. It's running like a champ. Thanks, guys.

/ JD 755 won't start #7  
I'm glad you got your 755 fixed. I just had the same thing happen to my 855, but for a different reason.

I put my BH on to do some digging, had my brother start it and drive it out of the barn where the BH was stored. Got to the work site and started digging. Smelled something like hot plastic, and the engine died,.....but the starter was running! When my brother started it to take it out of the barn, the ignition must have not disengaged and I assume the starter was running for the 15 minutes or so, I was using the backhoe! I think the extra strain on the electrical system must have burnt out the fuel solenoid, cause it was definitely fried.

Will p/u the replacement solenoid tomorrow and get back to work. Anyone else have this happen?

Also, found and extra spring connected to the solenoid arm to keep it open while the engine was running, so I guess the last owner must have had a problem with it too.

Phil

/ JD 755 won't start #8  
I'm glad you got your 755 fixed. I just had the same thing happen to my 855, but for a different reason.

I put my BH on to do some digging, had my brother start it and drive it out of the barn where the BH was stored. Got to the work site and started digging. Smelled something like hot plastic, and the engine died,.....but the starter was running! When my brother started it to take it out of the barn, the ignition must have not disengaged and I assume the starter was running for the 15 minutes or so, I was using the backhoe! I think the extra strain on the electrical system must have burnt out the fuel solenoid, cause it was definitely fried.

Will p/u the replacement solenoid tomorrow and get back to work. Anyone else have this happen?

Also, found and extra spring connected to the solenoid arm to keep it open while the engine was running, so I guess the last owner must have had a problem with it too.

Phil

Sorry to hear the problem. Not something you might expect. I would guess the coil to pull in the solenoid is not rated for continuous duty. It is a pretty powerful one and only to be on for the time it takes to start the engine. The other coil is a smaller, less powerful, continuous duty one. It only has to hold in the mechanical latch that keeps the solenoid engaged during operation. I hope there was no damage to the starter motor from overheating.

/ JD 755 won't start #9  
That same sticky solenoid was the reason I pick up my $855 so cheap!
I still have not replaced it, I just turn off the key and then push the
solenoid shaft forward to kill it.

How much is that solenoid?

I love my 855,
Glenn

/ JD 755 won't start #10  
That same sticky solenoid was the reason I pick up my $855 so cheap!
I still have not replaced it, I just turn off the key and then push the
solenoid shaft forward to kill it.

How much is that solenoid?

I love my 855,
Glenn

Part Details

Part Number: AM124377
Part Price: 119.90 USD
On Hand: 0 Check Other Stores
Description: SOLENOID, FUEL