JD 755 won't start

/ JD 755 won't start #11  
Good Forum and Thread. I had the same non-start issue as "drcaseyd". 755 started and ran fine, turned it off for a few minutes, had starting issues when i tried to restart. Cranked fine but did not turn over. With the throttle up all the way, I was able to get it running and limp back into the garage. Bled all the lines and no issues there. Started looking at the fuel shut off solenoid and wondering how it worked. When you turn you key to the run position, you should hear the fuel pump clicking, when you turn it to the start position, you should hear another click just before the engine start cranking. That click would be the fuel shut off solenoid engaging or its shaft retracting into the housing to allow fuel to flow. there are three wires to the solenoid, a white wire which comes over the top of the engine from the starter, one red and one black wire which feed into a connector. The white wire from the starter is the one which engages the solenoid with 12v when you turn the key to the start position. You can disconnect that wire, and manually introduce 12v to the end of the lead and see if your solenoid engages or has the shaft retract into the housing. When I did this on mine, i got nothing. With the key in the run position, I did have 12v between the black and red wires on the connector feeding the solenoid. Not sure where that black ground lands but i did do a continuity check with the black wire on the connector back to the negative of the battery terminal and I had continuity, and good ground. Vs buying a new solenoid online for $80, I opted to pay $133, and get it same day from JD. Installed and all is fine. Before I installed however, I did check resistance on the solenoid leads. On the new solenoid, red-black was 10.26kohms and white-black gave me no reading. On the new solenoid, red-black was 10.01 kohms and white-black was 9.98kohms. Another good way to determine if you have a shot coil prior to plunging into $133. The part number for my 755 was an AM124377, original part marked in the pic was AM102863 which must be discontinued.

Deere solenoid pic 1.jpegDeere Solenoid apart.jpegDeere solenoid pic 2.jpeg

Not much you can do to rebuild the Solenoid when it fails.