5105M in the Hay Fields

/ 5105M in the Hay Fields #11  
Nice Deere you got there, heres mine. About 1 year ago there was no guys that had a 5M other than me and this other guy. Now theres a bunch of you! The only thing I dont like is the loud noise coming from a open station .

Attachments

• IMG-20110512-00092.jpg
    IMG-20110512-00092.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG-20110512-00093.jpg
    IMG-20110512-00093.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 934
  • IMG-20110512-00106.jpg
    IMG-20110512-00106.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 389
   / 5105M in the Hay Fields
MWRR said:
Great looking outfit!!!! How does the 5105M handle the disc mower on hilly ground? Do you think a 5095M or a 5085M would handle the mower as well?
What about a 5085M on your baler?

The 5105m handles the disk mower quite well. I'm actually able to run it on economy PTO, depending on the grass. I don't have many hills here in Kansas to worry about but I'm sure it would be fine. The disk mower only requires 60hp minimum and weighs around 1300 lbs. The 85M and 95M should handle it without a problem.
The 85M can handle the 535 baler, you'll just need to adjust your speed accordingly. I baled 500 bales last summer with a 2755 (75hp at the pto).

/ 5105M in the Hay Fields #13  
Erervin,

You should have a few hours on the 5105M.... You still liking it....?????

I am process of the big debate..........

5095m vs. 5101E vs. M100X

Havent pulled the trigger but leaning towards the 5105M before th 4 teir tractors are released next year. THese will be hard to find due to the price jump....

please let me know you thoughts on the machine if you wouldn't mind....

/ 5105M in the Hay Fields #14  
YES....I still LOVE my new tractor. Every time I come in from feeding the cows or doing any type of hay work I tell my wife how much I love my new tractor. Actually I'm more proud of my new tractor than my new Harley.

Here are the things that really stand out in my opinion (just mine, I'm sure others will have different ideas);
1. I'm amazed how short that it turns. Cleaned off the concrete pad where I feed the cows during the winter. Pretty tight quarters, but it gets around in there better than my old tractor that is half the horse power.
2. The deluxe air seat is a must.
3. The rear fender 3pt control is a blessing.
4. The Hi-Lo switch on the 32/16 speed tranny is used often in the hay field as well as other times.
5. Seems to do pretty well on fuel but I have never "worked it hard".
6. Controls are very user friendly.
7. The air condition will run you out of the cab.
8. I clipped pastures this fall with my 9ft disc mower and was amazed how well it went up and down the hills.
9. The clutch modulation control is a nice feature that I do use often.

Now for the things that I would like changed or different;
1. The Hi-Lo tranny switch gets bumped by my knee occasionally. Wish it was placed differently.
2. I would love to be able to shift ranges on the go (like the new models).
3. I have one wheel weight on each rear wheel. Wish I had two.

The only other thing I find myself second guessing myself on is "did I really need the larger model". Most likely the 5095M or even the 5085M would be enough tractor for me.

With all that said, If I had it to do over again I would buy the same tractor. NO RESERVATIONS

/ 5105M in the Hay Fields
The 5105M is a perfect fit for my operation. I've got around 200 hours on it now, most of which were put on this past summer cutting and baling hay. I'm finding that I use the e-pto more than 50% of the time. I love the 563SL loader, perfect for feeding large round bales. I also love the cab, however the windows fog up and take time to clear up once winter sets in. The vent positions are not placed in the most ideal spots. The verticle exhaust has been great as it eliminates the exhaust stack blocking a portion of the view. The only thing I wish it had was the 1000 pto for flexibility options with attachments. Overall I don't think I could be more pleased.

/ 5105M in the Hay Fields #16  
Another fine green machine, and a nice pic too. But, I see where you store your tool/hand rag!! Can't fool us!

/ 5105M in the Hay Fields #17  
YES....I still LOVE my new tractor. Every time I come in from feeding the cows or doing any type of hay work I tell my wife how much I love my new tractor. Actually I'm more proud of my new tractor than my new Harley.

Here are the things that really stand out in my opinion (just mine, I'm sure others will have different ideas);
1. I'm amazed how short that it turns. Cleaned off the concrete pad where I feed the cows during the winter. Pretty tight quarters, but it gets around in there better than my old tractor that is half the horse power.
2. The deluxe air seat is a must.
3. The rear fender 3pt control is a blessing.
4. The Hi-Lo switch on the 32/16 speed tranny is used often in the hay field as well as other times.
5. Seems to do pretty well on fuel but I have never "worked it hard".
6. Controls are very user friendly.
7. The air condition will run you out of the cab.
8. I clipped pastures this fall with my 9ft disc mower and was amazed how well it went up and down the hills.
9. The clutch modulation control is a nice feature that I do use often.

Now for the things that I would like changed or different;
1. The Hi-Lo tranny switch gets bumped by my knee occasionally. Wish it was placed differently.
2. I would love to be able to shift ranges on the go (like the new models).
3. I have one wheel weight on each rear wheel. Wish I had two.

The only other thing I find myself second guessing myself on is "did I really need the larger model". Most likely the 5095M or even the 5085M would be enough tractor for me.

With all that said, If I had it to do over again I would buy the same tractor. NO RESERVATIONS

Most nearly identical with my observations as well! :thumbsup:

In addition - I really have come to enjoy the EH 3pt. Very responsive and the accuracy of the control is amazing!

One minor issue I have had with the control layout is the similarity (and proximity) of the throttle lever with the 3pt lever... without looking at the controls - I've tried to adjust the 3pt - only to either run the throttle up or down! My bad... but if the 3pt had a small vertical lever in lieu of the horizontal lever - you'd know right away just by feel.

My only 2nd guessing has been the 16x16 tranny. Using my rototiller and a large root crushing implement - I would like to go even slower. Should have either gone with the 20% change in speed (up and down) available with the OD and the 32x16 transmission or the creeper feature.

That said - I'd buy another M series in a heartbeat!

AKfish

/ 5105M in the Hay Fields #18  
Thank gentlemen...... Good news is I pulled the trigger on a new green machine today.... Also a new 15' bat wing.... I tell you a quick story and give you a break down what I purchased and for how much. In the event anyone else wants capture the deal I received......

First was the tough decision on

5085m vs. 5095m vs 5105m

then 5093E vs 5101E then toss in the Orange and Blue models....

M9540 vs. M100X vs. TS6020

All great tractors and each have there fit but I narrowed my decision down based on a few things... Longevity as this will have to last a while. The American made thing and lastly my boys room has been painted JD green since he was born... How do I justify buying Orange or Blue to Him... JUST Kiddn..... Really the major reason was tractor weight. I have a 12' disc, a 3 bottom Ford 101 plow, 10'6 Brillion M1241 and a new JD HX15 all I want to pull with ease. I have realized over time that you can buy as much horsepower as you want but if you don't have the weight to get that energy into the ground all your going to do is fight it and wear the tractor out.... One member above already made the comment about adding more wheel weights.......

In Summary of the tractor analysis,

M9540 - Nice tractor just too light in the rear end for my needs... The dealer stated fill the tires and everything will be fine. I maintain CRP and CREP... Cedar growth is prominent... On our previous tractor had 2-3 flats a year due to Oak and cedar mowings.... Therefore fluid is not an option and something to consider..... Cast iron rims and weights was a better solution... Throttle was tough to use or tight... COST - $47,550 - with Loader, Radio, Ballast rears....... $40,800 with no loader.............. 0% 60 months

M100X - Great tractor, has the weight and features of the 50XXM series and then some.... A ton of tractor for the money..... And I should have purchased this..... $54,850 with loader. $48,000 No loader....... 0% 60 months.

TS6020 - Nice tractor but the rusted parts on a brand new tractor bothered me..... JD does a great job of testing to prevent rust.... not sure about kubota $49,800.00 No loader........ 0% 36m or 2.95 60m.....

5085m, 5093e - Ruled out as I felt 80 plus pto was need for the 3 bottom plow....

That leaves me with the 5101E, 5095M and the 5105M.......

The 5101E is a killer tractor for the money and after driving and sitting in it, it should give Kubota a run.... Finer finish interior...... The throttle location and rear hydralics levers being so tight together was an issue for me. I understand the 2012's have been redesign to correct the issue.... Once again, allot a tractor for the money... I noticed for some reason even with the same tires it sets up about 4" higher than the M series.... $49,400 with no loader..... $42,400 no loader. 0% 60 months if you live by the dealer your buying from. Otherwise 0% 48 months. To get 60 if you live outside their service area, they charge you $1200 more...... Its price the similar to the Kubota M9540 but much more tractor and weight...... 1200 pound more....

The 5095m was the tractor of choice........

MFWD
Deluxe Cab with air seat
32/16 Tranny
480/80R30 Radials
12.4R24 Radials
540/540E
Radio
E Hitch
T Draft Links
2 mids H
2 rears H
Cold weather

$52,700 - Cash
$53,900 - 0% 48 months
$55,100 - 0% 60 months

John Deere is no longer producing the 5095M or the 5105M as the 4 teir engines are starting production shortly..... The dealer called to see if any could still be built as I was targeting 16x16 tranny to save the $1,320.00.

John Deere stated no can do....

Then it happened a day later....

John Deere distribution called our dealer and stated they had a few 5105M in process they could released due to an order cancellation.. Only drawback was 32/16 trannys only.......

Originally quoted $57,500 for the 5105m equally equipped as the 5095m but if the dealer took all four $54,400 out the door 0% 48.........

I thought this was a deal considering is was only $500 more to get a freshly built 5105m over the 5095m...

Done deal..

Lastly to top it off the dealer offered a brush cutter to the package.

HX15 15' Flex wing.... Chains front and rear, extra hydralic hose, Severe duty air plane tires, 8 tires not 6.... If purchase with the tractor they will give the same financing package.... 0% for 48 months. Price $15,100. If you drop the extra set of tires on the outside remove $800 or $14,300. Brand new shipped direct from John Deere....

That's it, sorry for the book, but the deal was too good not to be told.... I am guessing they might still have three left at this price if your in the market....

Sloan's JD in Assumption IL...... Ask for Grant...

PS....... To me there easily was a $6,000 difference between the JD 5105m and the Kubota M100X............ Fit and Finish and just look at the rear end........

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ 5105M in the Hay Fields #19  
DogYears.....Congrats on your new purchase!!!! You will not be the least bit disappointed with your decision to go with the larger model. My only suggestion will be to mount a water tank on that 3 bottom plow....that 5105M will drag that across the field so fast you will need the water to keep the plow cool, lol!!
Post pics asap.

/ 5105M in the Hay Fields #20  
DogYears.....Congrats on your new purchase!!!! You will not be the least bit disappointed with your decision to go with the larger model. My only suggestion will be to mount a water tank on that 3 bottom plow....that 5105M will drag that across the field so fast you will need the water to keep the plow cool, lol!!
Post pics asap.

MWRR..... Thank you sir..... Delivery on 01/06/12..... We are pumped as this was a big decision... I was a 50% owner on a JD 6430 Premium to convert 150 acres from Fescue cool season to Warm Season grass. I sold it because the other 50 acres that needed to be converted could be done with a smaller tractor. Plus the maintenance forward is only brushcutting and discing burnbreaks for the seasonal burn...... A few food plots here and there....... I hope the drop to the 95m from the 6430 won't be too bad.... I was totally spoiled with the 6430.... What a machine....

As to the plow, I had a bear killing the Fescue on the 150 acres, sprayed, disc the soil 3 times and the darn stuff still came back.. Sprayed it again one lasted time and now it seems to be gone... On the remaining 50 acres someone recommended that I should have sprayed it then Moldboard it under...... Hence the new plow as I'm not fighting that Fescue again... LOL ......

This board had great info stating the Ford 101 plow was one of the best for its time and still today is a fine unit.... I found an all original 101 in Ohio for $575 and had it shipped to Missouri for $141.... I'm not sure how the shippers (Uship) does it so cheap.. It would have cost me $210 in fuel to haul it myself.... How do you post a pic, you need to see it. Looks like someone used it twice and then left it sit since 1982....

Nice comment about the water cooled thing.... LOL..... The board said roughly 15 PTO hp per plow then 10% hedge for breathing room.... Roughly 50 hp to pull it but I have rolling to steep hills. Wanted to play it safe, it will just take a little longer.... 4x15=60x1.1 = 66 PTO HP..... I guess I could have easily pulled a 4 bottom and still had room... It will get used for the 50 and probably get mothed balled........ Its all good, looking forward to getting the work started.....

Thanks again for the post..... Pictures shortly....