2520 popping out of 4WD

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #1  

Gobblin Tom

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 JD 2520
OK so I don't want to sound like I am causing problems but I just want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong. Yesterday while carrying dirt down my steep path my 4WD popped out on my 2520 three-four times, it got to the point that I was holding my foot on the 4WD lever. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I know it is putting a lot of weight over the front axle going down hill but I was going very slow in low range and I had my rear blade on because I was using it after I dumped the dirt. (And my rear tires are filled) The problem I had when it popped out was that the rear tires just slid so I started to pick up speed quick and had drop the bucket quick to stop myself. I noticed about a week ago that this happned also, I told the wife that I must have forgot to put it in 4WD but after yesterday I believe I didn't... I am pretty sure that the shouldn't happen no matter what but I am just a novice and looking to hear from people a lot more experienced than me!!!

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD
Does anyone now if this would be an adjustment issue, cable, linkage, etc?

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #3  
I had this issue on my kubota before, it turned out to be hard dirt getting up in the linkage. I've not chased the linkage down on the JD yet, butit may be something to look into.

Also, I know I have had concerns about my foot popping it out because of the location, could this be an issue for you?

Just throwing out ideas since I have feared this happening on my tractor.

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #4  
In 3 years I've never had my 2520 pop out of 4WD and I use the 4WD a lot.

I had this issue on my kubota before, it turned out to be hard dirt getting up in the linkage. I've not chased the linkage down on the JD yet, butit may be something to look into.

Also, I know I have had concerns about my foot popping it out because of the location, could this be an issue for you?

Just throwing out ideas since I have feared this happening on my tractor.

I have had my tractor in some nasty clay / dirt, I will have to check and make sure nothing is around the linkage. I actually watched the lever pop up when going down the hill the other day, as you said wanted to make sure I didn't hit it with my foot and I definitely didn't....

In 3 years I've never had my 2520 pop out of 4WD and I use the 4WD a lot.

Have you ever used yours going down a steep grade with the bucket full? I am kinda thinking mine shouldn't pop out either, I tried to get in touch with someone at the dealership today but nobody got back to me??

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #7  
I don't have a bucket on mine so can't say what would happen. The most weight I put on the front end is 3 suitcase weights which is about 210 pounds. I do however do lots of pulling and have done some serious driving over large obstacles like dirt piles and fallen trees. I've gone down dirt piles with the wheels turned to the stops and pushing a lot of dirt in front of them as they plow sideways through the dirt. I really don't think it should ever pop out of drive. My 4WD lever has to be pulled quite hard to get it to move and it has a very positive detent that has to be overcome. That's about all I can tell you about my experience. I think I'd talk to a dealer (technician) and if they don't know anything about it have them bring in a factory Rep. to discuss this with you.

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #8  
I've not had that experience with my 2520. Mine seems to have a positive feel when you move the lever in and out of 4WD. It almost sounds like the lever isn't going all the way down, like it's not adjusted correctly.

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #9  
Tom,
I only have about 10 hours on mine and have not had any issues. I have been relocating 10 loads of ditching material that the town has delivered using both 2 and 4WD. I dont consider the area I am working in to be steep but it is up hill a bit. I have not had any issues with the 4WD, I would agree with bz1 on contacting the dealer again. I will add that I can easily use my foot on the 4WD lever, it is not hard to pull. Let us know how you make out.

Tom,
I only have about 10 hours on mine and have not had any issues. I have been relocating 10 loads of ditching material that the town has delivered using both 2 and 4WD. I dont consider the area I am working in to be steep but it is up hill a bit. I have not had any issues with the 4WD, I would agree with bz1 on contacting the dealer again. I will add that I can easily use my foot on the 4WD lever, it is not hard to pull. Let us know how you make out.

I did talk to the dealer this morning, I told him that I would make sure there is no dirt etc. around the linkage and get back to him. I don't know how everyone elses lever is to engage / disengage but mine just doesn't seem like it has ever really locked in tight, it just slides down and back up kinda effortless..... I will check the tractor tonight and get back to the dealer in the morning..