Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    New Member JD4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Location
    Berkshires,Ma.
    Tractor
    John Deere 2305 - 2010

    Default JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure

    There has been numerous posts on the 2305 rear case failure largely due to PTO and shaft issues:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...t-tractor.html

    Due to a close call myself with my brush cutter after running over a large hard mound that stalled the tractor (slip clutch did not trigger); I felt necessary to dig into it. Turns out that to long a rear shaft could help cause a common and very nasty rear gearbox/case failure and up to a $6k repair! The rear PTO shaft needs to be sized and cut properly. So included here is that preventive maintenance that is a must for any small tractor.
    A great video here on cutting rear shaft to length:
    How to Measure and Cut a Tractor PTO Shaft - YouTube
    More:
    http://www.mytractorforum.com/archiv.../t-189998.html

    But my big question still is:
    *Does anyone know what year they corrected that inferior quality rear case on the JD 2305?
    2010 JD 2305 with; 200CX FEL, MMM 54" w/Hydraulic Lift, Woods 48" BrushBull, Fronteir 6' York Rake..Moto-Guzzi

  2. #2
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    77
    Tractor
    John Deere 2305 (2010)

    Default

    If you type in 2305 tiller,,, I posted a very similar comment about a PTO shaft I trashed. My luck was better than normal as the shaft was to short. Since my post I have added a clutch that I now see as invaluable for the rear PTO of the 2305 (mounted on implement). I purchased a new 2305 in 2010 and also would like to know the year the rear was beefed up. Anyone?
    Regards Bill

  3. #3
    Veteran Member yelbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,536
    Location
    Near Winnipeg, Mb, Canada
    Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

    Default

    I do believe you guys are correct that pto shaft length is a common cause to the catastrophic failure. Impact load has also proved to be a cause. I've read of at least one failure where the use had his tractor failure while a mmm and hit a brick. He posted that had never even used his rear pto.

    I think the change over was late 2007 production date. My 2305 was an 2008 with the updated case, and still failed, not as bad as some others I've seen.
    Good luck.
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

  4. #4
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    77
    Tractor
    John Deere 2305 (2010)

    Default

    Yelbike, Thanks for the info- As they say " knowledge is power "

  5. #5
    New Member JD4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Location
    Berkshires,Ma.
    Tractor
    John Deere 2305 - 2010

    Default Re: JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure

    Quote Originally Posted by yelbike View Post
    I do believe you guys are correct that pto shaft length is a common cause to the catastrophic failure. Impact load has also proved to be a cause. I've read of at least one failure where the use had his tractor failure while a mmm and hit a brick. He posted that had never even used his rear pto.

    I think the change over was late 2007 production date. My 2305 was an 2008 with the updated case, and still failed, not as bad as some others I've seen.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the info, that late 2007 production date is what I've been seeing too.
    I guess the big issue though is to be very aware of any tough load or stress on the drivetrain of these small tractors as it will no doubt cause big problems, and not to expect it to do what the big tractors can do.
    That's what happens when you stuff 10 pounds of engineering in a 5 pound bag!!!
    I also got my MMM hung up and stalled the tractor and only the blades took the hit...won't happen again.
    2010 JD 2305 with; 200CX FEL, MMM 54" w/Hydraulic Lift, Woods 48" BrushBull, Fronteir 6' York Rake..Moto-Guzzi

  6. #6
    Platinum Member retiredmgn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure

    You can't imagine how timely this is. I'm in the process of cutting the shaft for a logging winch. Lot of head scratching.
    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by JD4me View Post
    There has been numerous posts on the 2305 rear case failure largely due to PTO and shaft issues:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...t-tractor.html

    Due to a close call myself with my brush cutter after running over a large hard mound that stalled the tractor (slip clutch did not trigger); I felt necessary to dig into it. Turns out that to long a rear shaft could help cause a common and very nasty rear gearbox/case failure and up to a $6k repair! The rear PTO shaft needs to be sized and cut properly. So included here is that preventive maintenance that is a must for any small tractor.
    A great video here on cutting rear shaft to length:
    How to Measure and Cut a Tractor PTO Shaft - YouTube
    More:
    http://www.mytractorforum.com/archiv.../t-189998.html

    But my big question still is:
    *Does anyone know what year they corrected that inferior quality rear case on the JD 2305?
    Nelson
    Central Maine

  7. #7
    Veteran Member bigtiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,944
    Location
    central Iowa
    Tractor
    JD 2720

    Default Re: JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure

    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmgn View Post
    You can't imagine how timely this is. I'm in the process of cutting the shaft for a logging winch. Lot of head scratching.
    Thanks.

    Warning!

    I watched the video yesterday to cut the PTO shaft for my new tiller and JD 2720. I needed to cut 1.5 inches off but before I did I read my tiller manual. It's a good thing because the shaft was the correct length already.

    I think the problem was geometry. My tiller's input shaft was 4 inches higher than the input shaft on the tractor. The PTO shaft was the shortest when the 3PH was raised to its highest position.

    I'm glad I took my time and double checked everything before cutting.
    HAVE FUN

    Life is easier when you plow around the stumps.


    2720

  8. #8
    New Member JD4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Location
    Berkshires,Ma.
    Tractor
    John Deere 2305 - 2010

    Default Re: JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure

    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmgn View Post
    You can't imagine how timely this is. I'm in the process of cutting the shaft for a logging winch. Lot of head scratching.
    Thanks.
    Glad it could help, important stuff for sure!
    2010 JD 2305 with; 200CX FEL, MMM 54" w/Hydraulic Lift, Woods 48" BrushBull, Fronteir 6' York Rake..Moto-Guzzi

  9. #9
    New Member JD4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Location
    Berkshires,Ma.
    Tractor
    John Deere 2305 - 2010

    Default Re: JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure

    Quote Originally Posted by bigtiller View Post
    Warning!

    I watched the video yesterday to cut the PTO shaft for my new tiller and JD 2720. I needed to cut 1.5 inches off but before I did I read my tiller manual. It's a good thing because the shaft was the correct length already.

    I think the problem was geometry. My tiller's input shaft was 4 inches higher than the input shaft on the tractor. The PTO shaft was the shortest when the 3PH was raised to its highest position.

    I'm glad I took my time and double checked everything before cutting.
    Good catch! If the driveshaft is sized right from the get go, your in good shape. Still can't hurt to double check, I am scrutinizing the length on any implement shaft now!
    2010 JD 2305 with; 200CX FEL, MMM 54" w/Hydraulic Lift, Woods 48" BrushBull, Fronteir 6' York Rake..Moto-Guzzi

  10. #10
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    933
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3520 Deluxe Cab

    Default Re: JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure

    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBAX View Post
    thank you very much jd4me

    good post.. for pto repairs and fixsssss. with all the pto maintenance and how to'sss, is there a 'heavy duty' replacement parts, to upgrade, the all or any, jd oem regular parts, replacements ? 2. And does the oem parts [alumnum parts], be considered, a weak joint or weak yoke and can up-graded in materials; made/with cast iron, as in universal joints, in driveline and mfwd driveline universals, yokes, etc.
    3. going to jdparts and greenfarm parts and not seeing any 'heavy duty' replacement parts ? otherwise, replacing of these john deere oem replacement parts, is a considerable maintenance replacements and cost, in the future. any suggestions or directions to, is appreciated. tractor pulling, maybe.. happy tractoring...
    computer problems at home, connecting to the tractorbynet system, is out of service. thank you admin. dept. just replying to thread via internet and thanks for the heads up about systems procedures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. John Deere 2305 Compact Tractor Transmission and rear PTO failure
    By JBarnes6767 in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 01-27-2014, 04:44 PM
  2. 2305 PTO selector shaft - CHOPPED!
    By Artillian in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 11:37 AM
  3. PTO Drive Shaft won't adjust lengthwise?
    By MrPepper in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 08:39 AM
  4. Proper way to adjust pto shaft
    By vtmbz in forum Attachments
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 09:06 AM
  5. Rear PTO switch on L3010 failure
    By Grande in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.