Strange issue with a 2720.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #21  
You are wasting your time trying to figure this out. My 2520 does the exact same thing. Its useless in HI range, but will do anything in Low. I only use hi for moving long distances. The hydro just complains if I use HI doing much of anything else.
Go get it and finish your job.......

/ Strange issue with a 2720.
The good news.

I got my 2720 back from the dealer today after they had it for close to 4 weeks. I was told they could not find any problems.
The dealer picked it up & delivered it at no charge. They even washed it.

Now the bad news.

I had to call a manger of the dealership to get it back.
I stopped by the dealership after they had the 2720 about 2 weeks. They had not touched it yet. I was given excuses of how busy they were, but also told they had cut hours because of a lack of work. I was told they would look at it the following week & call me. No one called back.

I called a week later & was told they could not get the problem to repeat. I was told they would check it again the next day & if they could not find a problem, they would call me to setup a time to deliver it. No one called.

I called service again this morning to again check on it, all I got an answering machine. That was when I called the manager. I go a call back from the service manager in less the 3 minutes & given excuses as to why it wasn't back yet. I was told he would deliver it today at about noon. My wife called me about 11:00 to say he was there.

Now the strange news.

When I got home for lunch, I had a nice shiny 2720 setting in front of my garage. When I got on the tractor to put it away, I saw that it had over 25 hours on it & about a quarter tank of fuel. When the 2720 was picked up, it had just under 15 hours on the meter & close to a full tank of fuel.

Is this normal for a service department to put over 10 hours on a tractor trying to find a problem???? Or is it more likely that someone took it home & used it for a several hours?

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #23  
I would not be happy either, but what can you do? It was a no charge service call. They tried. Does it still have the same problem? If so don't go back to that dealer.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #24  
Somethings fishy, 10 hours is an aweful lot for trouble shooting

/ Strange issue with a 2720.
I would not be happy either, but what can you do? It was a no charge service call. They tried. Does it still have the same problem? If so don't go back to that dealer.

It started raining yesterday shortly after I got home for lunch, so I did not get a chance to try it out.

This morning I install the loader & pushed on a tree stump. It still stalls out in both high range & now in low range also. On wet soft sod, it would not even attempt to spin the wheels. The trans just moans, the engine RPMs do not drop at all.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #26  
if your stalling your engine then when does the transmission whine? next time you take it to another john Deere dealer and push against something there to show the mechanics. My 2720 has 20 hrs on it and spins the tires in low but will not in high, but again I consider high range road gear. If your not happy get a different tractor without hydrostatic transmission and it sounds like your are not happy and probably will not be while you have that tractor

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #27  
I think you missed the issue. The engine doesn't stall, it sounds like the hydro trans just gives up the ghost without applying power to the wheels or loading the engine like one would expect. Could it be your relief valve is somehow not working? I wouldn't expect much out of high, but much more effort from low...

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #28  
Low should certainly spin the wheels. I spin my wheels in high to on my kubota unless ive got good traction when pushing on something thats to heavy. I think you've got some issue, maybe try another dealer?

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #29  
10 hours isnt much. That is not even tractor in motion hours. The ket could have been on and idle time, etc. My tractor has the default display wich is key on or engine idling and in motion. There is also a in motion display. i was amazed how at 50 hours, my machine was actually only working for 30 hours. People dont realise this especially when servicing. Dont worry about it at all man. just take it for what it is and enjoy your machine

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #30  
chevy said:
It started raining yesterday shortly after I got home for lunch, so I did not get a chance to try it out.

This morning I install the loader & pushed on a tree stump. It still stalls out in both high range & now in low range also. On wet soft sod, it would not even attempt to spin the wheels. The trans just moans, the engine RPMs do not drop at all.

My 2320 will spin in low except with a deep cultivator which adds down pressure on the wheels. If the cultivator gets buried or stuck than the transmission will whine. Other than that it spins. High gear is for the road only, i think that's a common complaint from the 2320 owners though. High gear is too tall.

Back to yours, i think you have a problem. See another dealer. Also try one of there's out on the lot. If the problem is the same with demo then check seat to steering linkage. It might be defective. ;)
I think the relief valve is a good lead.