Strange issue with a 2720.

/ Strange issue with a 2720.
An update on this issue. I had another dealer look at the 2720. After a lot of tests, including comparing it to a new 2720 they had on the lot, they tore it down & changed 2 valves.
Before completely putting the 2720 back together, the mechanic brought it back to me to try it out to see if I thought it was improved. The mechanic stayed to watch & he told me to work it hard. I put the loader & weight box on & tried to scoop some dirt from a partly frozen pile with it in high range.
It is a different tractor. In stead of just wining, the engine pulled down, I pushed down more on the pedal & it it broke through the frozen dirt & I got a scoop of dirt. I did this a couple more times with the same results.
After doing some other work with it, he loaded it up on the truck to take back to the shop to complete putting it back together. I believe they have the issue solved.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #32  
The "another dealer" sounds like a keeper to me.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #33  
that's good news, just too bad it took you so long to get it resolved.
kudos to the new dealer for addressing an issue on a tractor they didn't sell,
and good call on your part not to just give up on the tractor.
let us know the final outcome when you get it back for good.

Another update on this. I used the 2720 for about an hour yesterday to move some compost for a driveway to my new barn.
I did all of the work in high range. No problem at all scooping & going uphill with a loaded buck in high range. Now the 2720 works just like every other hydro tractor that I have used. Although I still wish it had 3 speed ranges.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #35  
What a story and way to stay on it and not settle. Do you know what 2 valves they replaced?

What a story and way to stay on it and not settle. Do you know what 2 valves they replaced?

They changed the 2 anti cavitation valves.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #37  
Great news and your persistence is a good example for everyone!

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #38  
I read with interest because I have the same tractor. I'm glad you solved the problem and I appreciated hearing the outcome but there seems to be a common theme lately that too many JD dealers aren't taking care of their customers like they should. Nobody should ever have to chase after a dealer to get a job done or contact the customer in a reasonable amount of time. I wonder if writing the company headquarters would do any good. After the experience I had trying to buy a tractor from the dealers around here, I'll be giving it a try. Glad your tractor is working like it should.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #39  
I read with interest because I have the same tractor. I'm glad you solved the problem and I appreciated hearing the outcome but there seems to be a common theme lately that too many JD dealers aren't taking care of their customers like they should. Nobody should ever have to chase after a dealer to get a job done or contact the customer in a reasonable amount of time. I wonder if writing the company headquarters would do any good. After the experience I had trying to buy a tractor from the dealers around here, I'll be giving it a try. Glad your tractor is working like it should.

I wonder if some of the "poor" service experience comes from the fact that our tractors are $20-30k machine versus $100-200k combines/ farm tractors. The only time i brought mine in for work was at harvest time, it took 4 weeks to get resolved. Its sucks but how do i complain? They cant take a tech off of a $250000 machine to work mine so i can mow grass, the other guy needs his machine to feed his own family.

I wonder if some of the "poor" service experience comes from the fact that our tractors are $20-30k machine versus $100-200k combines/ farm tractors. The only time i brought mine in for work was at harvest time, it took 4 weeks to get resolved. Its sucks but how do i complain? They cant take a tech off of a $250000 machine to work mine so i can mow grass, the other guy needs his machine to feed his own family.

The 2 JD dealers in my area have separate service departments for ag & compact equipment.