Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2012 John Deere X740
    #18 Steel cart.
    Front fender kit.
    Brush guard.
    SE seat.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2001 New Holland TN70,2003 John Deere 250 Series II skidsteer,1987 John Deere 2155,2013 John Deere 5055E MFWD,2007 Duramax 4x4 truck, 1973 MF 165,Artic Cat 550 Cougar sled

Default Re: Who says plastic isn't tough?

I think the plastic hoods on the bigger tractors is made of better and thicker material. We have a John Deere GT235 garden tractor that we already had to replace the front bumper cause the plastic was falling apart and it never has hit anything. The hood now is starting to fall apart. I agree the plastic looks good for a long time and may be able to take some punishment but it does seem to get brittle especially on mowers after a while. We will have to replace it eventually to keep the little tractor looking new.

Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

I have a old L120 mower that stays under a roof when not being used and so far the plastic hood still holding up good.My father in law has a similar mower that lives outside & she don't look too good.

Banned
    Tractor
    2012 JD 3720 deluxe cab

Quote Originally Posted by fieldman12 View Post
    I think the plastic hoods on the bigger tractors is made of better and thicker material. We have a John Deere GT235 garden tractor that we already had to replace the front bumper cause the plastic was falling apart and it never has hit anything. The hood now is starting to fall apart. I agree the plastic looks good for a long time and may be able to take some punishment but it does seem to get brittle especially on mowers after a while. We will have to replace it eventually to keep the little tractor looking new.
    i agree. I had a 265 for many years, a 325 and now a ??? I cant remeber what i just bought off craigslist. But any how, the bumpers all broke after several years. The hood on the latest one has a few fractures. However on my new 2012 3720 it seems a ltte different. I let you guys know if it still holding up aftter 10 years or so. Gonna have to wait a while hahaha. Who knows, maybe ill die before then

Tractor
    Deere 3720 Cab

I was bucking a log I had in my grapple and cut a 6" diameter branch at the wrong time/position. I cringed as I watched it fall onto the hood of my 3720. It bounced of the hood without leaving any evidence at all. I don't think a steel hood would have fared that well, I would have at very least a nice dent to show for it.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

The old JD hoods I grew up with were metal, but were ribbed by design and were pretty tough. A few years of farming, however, invariably put some small dents in them. Friends of mine today with JD and who farm full-time seem to have plastic hoods unblemished after years of use. So far I haven't actually tested mine - and hope not to.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Snowplow Wednesday am:

-img_0385-jpg-img_0386-jpg
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    2008 JD 2305

Quote Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
    Snowplow Wednesday am:

-img_0385-jpg-img_0386-jpg
    ??????.....
    Henri

How could you be told I was french?

Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , 4' boxblade Agriease , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

So who is the unfortunate mailbox owner? and how much is it going to cost you?
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Toro D200, Ford 1715, International 884,

Keep in mind that plastic can get brittle with age, and is highly susceptable to UV.

So, the bowling balls may bounce off of a brand new hood.
    However, all bets are off with a 10 or 20 year old hood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast