X595 harder to start.

/ X595 harder to start. #1  

dieselram

Gold Member
Tractor
2007 John Deere 3120 TLBM
I just bought an 04 X595. When its a little cooler it takes awhile to start. I checked with a test light to see if I had juice to the glow plugs. This morning it did now it doesnt. Do they cycle on everytime the key is turned on no matter the outside or engine temp? It cranks and puffs white smoke for about 5 seconds before it fires and its not even that cold out. It only has 540 hours on it. Once it fires the first time it seems to fire rather quickly after that. Even if you get it started cold shut it right off before it warms up then try it again and it fires right away. I did just change the fuel filter which JD gave me the wrong (long) one the first time. Now I have the correct shorter one in it. Guys check this out when you are at the dealer because there are 2 different filters depending on if you have the 74 or 76 engine. Seemed fine before the fiter change but I changed it an hour after I bought it. Maybe the previous owner knew of this problem and was starting it before I got there to look at it the few times I went to check it out. I would think it should put power to the glow plug bank each time the key is turned on no matter what. I don't have a tech manual for it, I do have one for my old X485 but thats gas so it does me no good. Please help me get this figured out because i'm sure it will be dead in the water if it gets cold out. All this is happening when its 40-60 outside temp.

/ X595 harder to start. #2  
I just bought an 04 X595. When its a little cooler it takes awhile to start. I checked with a test light to see if I had juice to the glow plugs. This morning it did now it doesnt. Do they cycle on everytime the key is turned on no matter the outside or engine temp? It cranks and puffs white smoke for about 5 seconds before it fires and its not even that cold out. It only has 540 hours on it. Once it fires the first time it seems to fire rather quickly after that. Even if you get it started cold shut it right off before it warms up then try it again and it fires right away. I did just change the fuel filter which JD gave me the wrong (long) one the first time. Now I have the correct shorter one in it. Guys check this out when you are at the dealer because there are 2 different filters depending on if you have the 74 or 76 engine. Seemed fine before the fiter change but I changed it an hour after I bought it. Maybe the previous owner knew of this problem and was starting it before I got there to look at it the few times I went to check it out. I would think it should put power to the glow plug bank each time the key is turned on no matter what. I don't have a tech manual for it, I do have one for my old X485 but thats gas so it does me no good. Please help me get this figured out because i'm sure it will be dead in the water if it gets cold out. All this is happening when its 40-60 outside temp.

There is a glow plug relay sometimes called glow plug timer . It is under the dash it is like a little box . The reason the light doesn't come on all the time after you start it or cycle the switch it measures the resistance of the glow plugs. After it cools down the resistance goes down and will cycle the glow plugs again. And there is also a temperature sensor that is in the water jacket on the head that helps control the glow plug cycle

/ X595 harder to start.
The light on the dash does come on everytime but now I am not getting any power to the plugs when they are supposed to be in their cycle. Its a big white wire .180 in dia that puts power to the first plug then a jumper goes to the other 2. I think I traced that wire to a relay on the right hand side-the single one below the 2 on top that are easier visible. I stuck my test light up in there and im not getting any power there either. Is that a relay that needs replaced? What else do I do to diagnose this?

/ X595 harder to start.
So I go out this morning and give it a shot and what do you know there is power to the plugs (checked with a test light) and it fires up with ease after I wait for the test light to go out which is awhile after the dash light goes out. What gives here?

/ X595 harder to start. #5  
So I go out this morning and give it a shot and what do you know there is power to the plugs (checked with a test light) and it fires up with ease after I wait for the test light to go out which is awhile after the dash light goes out. What gives here?

Check your wires to make sure they are not in bad shape and ground . The glow plugs stay on for a little bit after the light goes out to help control smoke on a cold engine. E.P.A requirement for emissions

/ X595 harder to start.
Seems to be an intermittent thing. I check it the same place. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Could it be the relay or the glow plug controller? Do they cycle every time regardless of the temp?

/ X595 harder to start. #7  
Seems to be an intermittent thing. I check it the same place. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Could it be the relay or the glow plug controller? Do they cycle every time regardless of the temp?

It sounds like glow plug controller.they should not cycle after the engine is up to temp

/ X595 harder to start.
What about the relay? Do glow plug controllers do that-work intermittently?

/ X595 harder to start. #9  

The glow plugs DO cycle every time regardless of temp (with this model). It certainly could be the relay, or the controller, but I would focus on the high amperage side of the circuit...not the controller- Yet.
Things like this usually fail "where the rubber meets the road" So, the relay, grounds and connections to the glow plugs would be where I would go.
Do you have a volt meter? If so, all of these things can be quickly ruled out when it is acting up.

/ X595 harder to start.
I do have a volt meter but kinda dumb using it. Can you guide me through the process to rule things out?