4200 engine rebuild

/ 4200 engine rebuild #1  

mbis

Tractor
John Deere 4200
Curious if anyone has any idea or a good estimate on what it would cost to have a complete engine rebuild on a John Deere 4200

/ 4200 engine rebuild #2  
Curious if anyone has any idea or a good estimate on what it would cost to have a complete engine rebuild on a John Deere 4200

Parts and labor my guess is over $4,000. Parts alone would be over $1,000. Labor is expensive.

/ 4200 engine rebuild
That's if John Deere does it

/ 4200 engine rebuild #4  
I'd be very surprised if the parts bill is only $1,000.00. I just finished rebuilding a sleeved 3 cylinder Yanmar and the parts and machine shop bill was north of $2,500.00.

I'm not familiar with this engine bur a Google search leads me to believe this is not a sleeved engine. Anyone know for certain? Why do you think it needs overhauled? Whats it doing (or not doing)?

/ 4200 engine rebuild #5  
Not a sleeved engine.. according to the service tech manual

/ 4200 engine rebuild #6  
Parts for my 4300 were around $750, machine shop charged $300 and they magnafluxed the head, ground the valves and seats, replaced valve seals, shotblasted and cleaned the head, bored+honed the block, replaced the cam bearings, cork polished the crank and measured it, replaced all the freeze plugs and cleaned the block, replaced the wrist pin pushers and honed to fit, then wrapped everything in shipping plastic. They didn't surface the top of the block, which I would recommend having done because of the way this engine is made after what I went through. I did all the work myself so I'm not much help on estimating that cost. It is a lot of work pulling the engine. Fuel tank has to be removed (sounds simple doesn't it?) and the tractor has to be split.

Parts and machine shop charges should be around ~$1250 total. If I had to guess on labor for someone doing it in their garage, 120 hours?

Not a sleeved engine, repair sleeves are available though if you are beyond .010

I'm curious what's wrong that's prompting the rebuild?

/ 4200 engine rebuild
Overheating. No water coming from anywhere charged t-stat, head gasket. No cracks that can be seen

/ 4200 engine rebuild #8  
Seeing bubbles in the reservoir tank?

Was the old headgasket bad? Was it loosing coolant? Have oil pressure?

A full engine rebuild would be a long way off for me if all I was dealing with was overheating. If you're not getting bubbles in the coolant or milky oil then I'd keep looking for the culprit. If you drain all the coolant out of the petcock in the radiator, take off the fan belt, and then idle the engine for a few seconds with your ear on the radiator cap you can hear a combustion leak to the cooling system very quickly.

/ 4200 engine rebuild
No bubbles, no losing coolant, done know about oil pressure

/ 4200 engine rebuild #10  
Rebuilt my 4300 last year it ended costing me around 2000 , but I am in the process of changing out the head gasket again. Now as far as JD they charged me 1200 to tear it down the first time but not remove it from tractor. That did include towing. To rebuild the engine they wanted around 16,000 yes that is not a typo.I ended getting a rebuild kit from Maxine force.