2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #1  

Iowa2210

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2210
All,

I have been lurking here for months, got a 2210 setup about a month ago. All has been well for the first 20 hrs until I'm moving dirt. I have some pretty good hills, and as I'm going up or down them slowly I'm getting a loud clanking sound from the front end. Thought at first it was the 4wd but it does in in 2 or 4 wheel.

It's only when moving slowly, but sounds very bad! Doesn't seem to be throttle dependent. Just speed dependent and only when on the hills, doesn't do it on the flat. Fortunately the dealer is coming out tomorrow to set up my LX4 cutter, and will have him take it back to the dealership and look it over.

So, has anybody had this problem on a 2210?

Thanks.

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #2  
Iowa,

None of us are aware of any significant issues with the 2210's. To me, since this happens in both 2WD and 4WD, it sounds like something is out of adjustment and hitting. Let us know what your dealer comes up with! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #3  
Sounds to me like the main axle pivot needs alot of grease. Have you greased your machine yet?

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #4  
At 60 hours the dealer replaced the front axle pin on my 2210. The tech said he had to pump in almost a half tube of grease before any would start to ooze out.

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk
Well it might be the front axle pin, but it happens even when I'm not moving. Once I get it to start clunking, I can stop and it continues to clunk. That's why I think its something in the driveline.

I did grease everything the other day, but only put a few pumps into the front axle pivot pin before I stopped.

I will talk to the dealer in the morning and see what he has to say. Thanks,

Iowa

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Once I get it to start clunking, I can stop and it continues to clunk. That's why I think its something in the driveline. )</font>

If you are stopped, then so is the driveline /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk
Well I guess I consider the driveshaft and the transmission as part of the driveline. Dealer is coming this morning to pick it up, and I will check with him later today if he found anything.

One other question that popped to mind. When any of you have had your tractor in for service, did you get some sort of loaner to mow with. If this is as bad as it sounds like, I may be without the machine for a few weeks, did you get a loaner mower?

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #8  
I would check fan shrouds and ask the dealer to look at any and all universal joints. If you motor mounts are slightly off there is all kinds of stuff that could "clunk."

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #9  
Just a guess check your lug bolts /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #10  
Wheel bolt's was my first thought to. Had it happen on a truck, dummy at the shop didn't tighten after a brake job.
Lawn