2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk
Well I'm not sure how lug nuts make noise when the wheels aren't turning. As I noted in an earlier post, once I get it to making a racket, I can stop all motion and it the noise continues.

Does the driveshaft to the front end spin all the time? I wouldn't think so, so that leaves either engine, dirveshft to tranny of the tranny itself.

The dealer picked it up early this afternoon, and I will try to call him tomorrow night to see what he found. I'm currently surveying on the Mighty Mo so am not near a phone most of the day.

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #13  
I think your on to it Bigpete . If you stop and it continues to make nosily and it is coming from somewhere up front ,it seems to me that something with the fan is going on . I would check the radiator mounts ,engine mounts, Shroud etc. . Does this tractor have a take off pto or pully on the front of the motor that might be making the noise ?
Allen

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #14  
<font color="green"> "CLUNK"? sounds like a Farmall. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Never a sound from my front, just passed 150 hours. Is your hood latched tight? just kidding, let us know what the diagnosis is. </font>

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does the driveshaft to the front end spin all the time? )</font>

No,
If the machine is stopped, so is the driveshaft.

Well my dealer said it is not good news. Something is awry in the front axle. They will be tearing it apart this afternoon to find out exactly what the problem is. Fortunately, everything is under warranty, but it looks as if I will be out of comission anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

I guess the nice consolation is that he will be dropping off an X485 as a loaner to mow with!

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #17  
?? How is it possible to have a prob with the front axle in this case if it still clunks with the rig stopped ??
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have no idea either why it would have a problem in the front axle while it is stopped. But they have the front end all torn apart at the dealer and will be calling on monday with the prognosis. I mowed with the loaner x475 (thought it was a x485 'till I looked at it). Very nice to mow with on flat ground, but on my hills I really hope I get my 2210 back soon, I need my 4wd and ROPS!

Arrrrgh! I talked to the service manager today, they have been chasing a different noise!

I have a little clearance issue between the front left tire (R4) and the spring loaded release pin to hold on the front mower hoop. When I turn hard right the edges of the tread bars rub on this pin making a clanking noise. I knew about this, and it is not the noise I was getting. But at least so far I have a complete new set of bearings on the right side front axle.

So I am off this afternoon to try to demo the noise to them that I was getting. Just my luck it won't do it this afternoon! I will report back tonight on what happens.

/ 2210 Clunk, clunk, clunk #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a little clearance issue between the front left tire (R4) and the spring loaded release pin to hold on the front mower hoop. When I turn hard right the edges of the tread bars rub on this pin making a clanking noise. I knew about this, and it is not the noise I was getting. But at least so far I have a complete new set of bearings on the right side front axle.)</font>

You have a "clearance issue" because you dealer did not replace the "T" shaped pin with an "L" shaped pin when this mower deck is used on a 2210 tractor. This pin is part of the attaching parts for the mower deck.
Sounds like your dealer is not up to speed on this tractor. I would watch him very closely before he makes things worse than they were.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif