Help! New CK20 HST vs used CK25 vs used Bobcat CT230?

/ Help! New CK20 HST vs used CK25 vs used Bobcat CT230? #1  

johnsopa

Tractor
Bobcat CT230
I just got a quote for a new CK20 HST with FEL for just under $13k.

Just found a 2008 CK25 HST with FEL for about $13k, locally. One owner, private sale. 70 hours. Supposed to be in great condition.

Also just found a 2008 Bobcat CT230 HST (basically the same as the CK30 HST, I believe) with FEL for $13k. One owner, private sale, 125 hours or so. Also supposed to be in great condition.

I think the CK20 HST would be enough for us (1/2 mi gravel lane -- snow removal, regrading, etc. -- no mowing) but I guess you can never have too much power.

I've driven both the CK20 and CK30 and would be fine with either tractor.

I have both Kioti and Bobcat dealers near me. Both seem fine.

Assuming both of the used ones are well-maintained and in good condition, which would you get?

/ Help! New CK20 HST vs used CK25 vs used Bobcat CT230? #2  
I would buy new and get the warranty. That is if the ck20 is big enough for your needs.

/ Help! New CK20 HST vs used CK25 vs used Bobcat CT230? #3  
My Buddy has the Bobcat. In Fact, he works for a company that rents equipment, which is why he bought the bobcat tractor. He got a deal on it. He has had nothing but problems with it. Luckily, they have in house mechanics. But he has to trailer it to work about once a month to have something else fixed. He has borrowed my Kubota a few times because of this. Of course, maybe his is just a lemon.

And Yes, I give him a hard time about it. What are friends for...........

I have heard pretty good things about Kioti. never driven one though.

/ Help! New CK20 HST vs used CK25 vs used Bobcat CT230? #4  
If you were sure that the CK20hst would do everything you want, will handle what jobs you may do in the future, and you are comfortable with operating it, I'd get it with the full warranty. The other two tractors weigh a little more, are larger in size, have a slightly stronger lift rating, and have more horses but their warranty should be up. Not that these other two would fall apart on you, but peace of mind is nice especially when dropping that much cash. The members here post that their CK20 is a little brute. About the only complaint that I remember is they wished it had a three speed range instead of just the two.

/ Help! New CK20 HST vs used CK25 vs used Bobcat CT230? #5  
My Buddy has the Bobcat. In Fact, he works for a company that rents equipment, which is why he bought the bobcat tractor. He got a deal on it. He has had nothing but problems with it. Luckily, they have in house mechanics. But he has to trailer it to work about once a month to have something else fixed. He has borrowed my Kubota a few times because of this. Of course, maybe his is just a lemon.

And Yes, I give him a hard time about it. What are friends for...........

I have heard pretty good things about Kioti. never driven one though.

Are you for real?
They are the same machine...come down the same assembly line...To say Bobcat has nothing but problems. Maybe its the way your buddy is operating it:cool:

/ Help! New CK20 HST vs used CK25 vs used Bobcat CT230? #6  
I'd personally go with the CT230. The hours on the CK25 and the CT230 are insignificant, they are basically new. Both being HST, I'd want the extra power of the CT230, the CK25 with only 25 hp on a 4000+ lbs machine (then fill the tires) might not be enough (lots of threads on that in TBN and the gear guys swear their CK25 gear will out do a CK35HST, I'm not so sure about the HST version).

What to you want to do with it? If you need PTO hp, it's a no brainer, the CT230. If your land is perfectly flat, the CK25 might be fine.

Unlike the previous poster, I actually prefered the 2 speed range HST on my JD955. I find high on my CK30 HST is useless unless I'm on flat pavement, and I could use a little more top speed in mid range.

Of the 3, the CK25 is also no longer produced. Not a huge deal, but might be later with resale.

My choice, in order would be CT230, CK20 then CK25. Good luck.

/ Help! New CK20 HST vs used CK25 vs used Bobcat CT230?
So, I looked at the CK25 and the Bobcat CT230 today.

The CK25 looks pretty clean but there were a few issues. The 2WD/4WD was almost impossible to shift into 4WD. I also had a hard time shifting between L/M/H. There was also more exhaust smoke on the left loader arm from the exhaust than I would have expected. Also, when in H gear with RPMs above 2000, the tractor basically stalled going up the driveway -- not carrying or pulling anything except the FEL. I can't believe it would be that underpowered. I'm probably going to stay away from this tractor. The current owner bought it at a sale with 69 hours and it now has about 90. Also, no mid-PTO although I don't need it.

The 125 hour CT230 looks good. A few grill guard scratches but no dents anywhere in the body. There is a bit of rust marks where the various seams meet on the rear fenders but honestly it's not any worse than some of the new (0 - 2 hours) tractors that I've looked at sitting on Bobcat lots. This seam rust is a bit annoying especially on a new tractor sitting on a dealer lot. Oh, there are little bits of rust / black paint flaking around the top parts of the cylinders since this tractor sits out but I don't think this is a big deal. I know these things are supposed to get dirty (trust me, mine will) but I keep stuff indoors so starting with a bit of rust is annoying me.

The tractor started and ran well. It was dead cold when started but no smoke on startup nor during any of the operation. I checked all the fluids before starting the tractor. The oil is a bit dirty (ready for an annual change) but not overly so. The hydro fluid looks new. This guy is the original owner and had the 50 hour service done but nothing since then.

L/M/H work fine. 2WD/4WD shifting seemed fine. Rear PTO is fine, 3 pt hitch works fine. It has a mid-PTO but the cover hadn't been off since new so I didn't bother checking it. HST operation was smooth. No sticking.

It's a pin-on instead of skid-steer attach bucket but I guess that's ok. Also, there's no fluid in the tires but I guess I can add that myself or have it added.

Boy, I'm torn between getting what I hope is a decent used CT230 / CK30 HST and getting a brand new CK20 HST.

Is there anything else I should check on the CT230/ck30 before making a final decision? Any gotchas?

/ Help! New CK20 HST vs used CK25 vs used Bobcat CT230? #8  
Are you for real?
They are the same machine...come down the same assembly line...To say Bobcat has nothing but problems. Maybe its the way your buddy is operating it:cool:

I did not say they "ALL" have problems. I said his has problems. Remember the lemon comment. His is the only one I have been around (yes it is a 230). So, maybe I shouldn't have said anything. But I did think that is what the person who was looking to buy one was asking. Input..... right?

And you maybe right about the driving it thing. It was one they use to rent out, and then he bought it. Could be that it has a short, but hard life. But they are suppose to be able to handle that kind of abuse. Aren't they?

/ Help! New CK20 HST vs used CK25 vs used Bobcat CT230? #9  
Skip the CK25, it's a little underpowered for it's size. If you need the capabilities of the CT230, that's a good deal. If not then the CK20 is a great little tractor for it's size and tough as nails! Plus the smaller tractor is better on fuel, easier to get into small areas, tow, and store.

Last edited:
   / Help! New CK20 HST vs used CK25 vs used Bobcat CT230? #10  
I'd go with the CT230. Alot more tractor than the CK20 in weight, hydraulic flow, HP, bucket size, and 3 range HST. The CT230 is practically new. A now brainer for me.