CK20S transmission slipping

/ CK20S transmission slipping
Mine doesnt bog down, it will just stop moving and the transmission will whine. I obviously let off when this happens but I would like to know if anyone else had this issue and what they have done about it. The dealership says I am pushing the machine too hard but I think it should bog the engine down before slipping.

I dont think mine struggles to lift the front end up so to speak but it takes a little while.

/ CK20S transmission slipping #12  
GMtb42 said:
My will bog down, it will not spin the tires which I see as something wrong, at 22hp the tractor should spin the tires if the ground is soft/hard enough, especially with the industrial tires.
I have noticed yesterday that if you put the front buck on the ground in full dump position and try to lift the tractor's front end off the ground with the loader it struggles to do so, it should lift the front end with no problem.

What RPM's are u running? Are u in low range? Ck20s should have no problem lifting the tractor of the ground as long as you have enough rpm. The ck20 only has 7.66 gpm of pump flow though a single pump. This makes the hydraulic week at low rpm. Tires should also spin in low range with rpm. Good luck.

My will bog down, it will not spin the tires which I see as something wrong, at 22hp the tractor should spin the tires if the ground is soft/hard enough, especially with the industrial tires.
I have noticed yesterday that if you put the front buck on the ground in full dump position and try to lift the tractor's front end off the ground with the loader it struggles to do so, it should lift the front end with no problem.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I would like to keep this on topic to find anyone that has experienced this transmission slipping problem before.

/ CK20S transmission slipping #14  
Please don't take this the wrong way, I would like to keep this on topic to find anyone that has experienced this transmission slipping problem before.

What RPM are you running?

What range do you use?

Do you smell something similar to burning brakes?

Does the engine bog at all when it does this?

/ CK20S transmission slipping #15  
Trying to push a rock or big pile. Mine will lug the engine down and stall it. I haven't ever had it slip.

It will happen with any rpm but seems to be worse down low.

It happens in low range I never tried in high.

I don't smell anything burning but I let off as soon as it begins to slip. Transmission starts to develop a significant whine when it begins to slip.

Engine may bog a little but I wouldn't say significantly. Slipping issue progressively gets worse as the tractor is worked (fluid gets hotter).

Last edited:
   / CK20S transmission slipping #17  
My experience with my CK30 was that in mid range, digging into a pile, the engine would bog down and I could stall it if I kept going. If I pushed into a pile as hard as I could, the transmission would "slip" as you're describing it and the engine would not bog down at all, it was only when I got the combination of pushing into the pile while raising the bucket and curling the bucket that I would bog the engine down and I used this as an indication I was getting a good full bucket of material. That was also the only technique that let me break out of the pile with that loader.

The loader on my DK45 is a beast and I don't need to push in, curl and lift at the same time to be able to break out of the pile with a full bucket. It will still bog down a little, but will also "slip" if I just keep pushing into the pile.

Are your tires loaded or do you have lots of ballast? That tractor is heavy enough that it won't necessarily run out of traction and spin the wheels. The effect you'll get is it simply stops moving and the transmission "slips". My JD could sit and spin all 4 tires all day long, but neither of my Kiotis will spin the tires, even in low, on anything other than snow or mud.

My experience with my CK30 was that in mid range, digging into a pile, the engine would bog down and I could stall it if I kept going. If I pushed into a pile as hard as I could, the transmission would "slip" as you're describing it and the engine would not bog down at all, it was only when I got the combination of pushing into the pile while raising the bucket and curling the bucket that I would bog the engine down and I used this as an indication I was getting a good full bucket of material. That was also the only technique that let me break out of the pile with that loader.

The loader on my DK45 is a beast and I don't need to push in, curl and lift at the same time to be able to break out of the pile with a full bucket. It will still bog down a little, but will also "slip" if I just keep pushing into the pile.

Are your tires loaded or do you have lots of ballast? That tractor is heavy enough that it won't necessarily run out of traction and spin the wheels. The effect you'll get is it simply stops moving and the transmission "slips". My JD could sit and spin all 4 tires all day long, but neither of my Kiotis will spin the tires, even in low, on anything other than snow or mud.

The back tires are loaded and what you mentioned describes the exact symptoms I am experiencing. I had a Kubota before this tractor and like your JD it would either spin the tires or bog the engine down. I am a little concerned about this issue as anything slipping accelerates wear and generates unwanted heat.

/ CK20S transmission slipping #19  
The back tires are loaded and what you mentioned describes the exact symptoms I am experiencing. I had a Kubota before this tractor and like your JD it would either spin the tires or bog the engine down. I am a little concerned about this issue as anything slipping accelerates wear and generates unwanted heat.

Well, I can't say I know exactly what's going on in the HST, but I don't think this is something to be concerned about. When the tractor stops, I just drop a gear, once I'm in low and it's stopped, I'm either spinning the tires stuck in the mud (or snow) or I'm not going to move whatever it is I'm trying to push (or pull, like a box blade), so I stop. I'm sure it goes without saying, but HST is counter intuitive to use, the harder you push the pedal, the less power you get. You need to back off the pedal instead of pushing harder.

/ CK20S transmission slipping #20  
I am not too familiar with how HST works other than to say I have one in my Kubota and it will stall the engine in high and spin the tires if in low or med. range. I do think that since they are hydraulic, they should have a relieve valve and it sounds like yours might be by-passing at too low of a pressure. This could be by design but I doubt that a tractor is designed to not be able to spin the tires. I have no idea how you would raise the pressures, but your dealer should be able to check it for correct setting and adjust as necessary.