Hood latch on DK40 HST

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #1  

BrianOKC

Tractor
Kioti DK40HST
Okay I went to open my hood this evening and the pull down rod on the bottom of the tractor is gone. I guess it either fell out or I tore it off moving some brush the other night. My question is , does anyone know how to open the hood without using the rod? The hood latch is on top of the hood and there doesn't seem to be anyway to access the latch without bending or cutting a hole in the hood.

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #2  
Have you tried taking the side panels off and reaching up from there? I haven't done that but know that there is a fair amount of space opened up when the side panels are off. Perhaps a long reach pliers would allow you to grab the rod. You may also find that just the bottom of the rod has fallen off. I haven't looked recently but I have a bit of trouble with mine too as I managed to bend the bottom part so it's always a bit tough to get it to release.

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST
I haven't tried too force the panels off but if I remember correctly they have catches that you have to release while the hood is up.

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #4  
I haven't tried too force the panels off but if I remember correctly they have catches that you have to release while the hood is up.

You may be right but at least the rear clip is easily reached behind the FEL mounting post. The forward clip might well be an issue without the hood up but again, a long rod and flashlight should allow you to manipulate the little friction clamp that holds the panel into the rubber slot. Sorry I cannot be sure, my tractor is 75 miles away.

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #5  
I don't think its possible to remove the lower side panels without the hood being open, because of the way they are held in place.
Your best bet is to grab hold of the cable end where the knob attaches, and hope to be able to pull it to release the latch.

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #6  
Are you REALLY sure the knob is gone? At least one other person eventually found the knob, not quite where he remembered it.

Last edited:
   / Hood latch on DK40 HST #7  
Are you REALLY the knob is gone? At least one other person eventually found the knob, not quite where he remembered it.

Good point. My knob is bent towards the back and I have trouble finding it by blindly reaching sometimes.

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #9  
Can you get hold of what's left of the cable and pull on the center wire? With some vise grips?

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST
I'm not sure. Last night I stuck my finger in the hole and didn't feel anything were the pull rod used to be.