Hood latch on DK40 HST

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #21  
Brian, I don't know how similar your DH40HST is to my 2006 DK45S, but maybe these photos of my machine will help:

View attachment 395077 View attachment 395076

If possible, I think your best bet would be to get the right side panel off (assuming there is enough flex in the hood). Otherwise, you may need to make a hole in the hood. On my machine, the front of the hood is light-weight perforated metal. It looks like you could make a small hole high up on the right side and use a coat hanger to pull the latch open. Good luck.

Interesting. Kioti has changed the radiator screen set up from that on my 2007 DK40. It looks like yours is one piece. Mine is two piece.

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #22  
If you do get to grab on to the cable or hook something onto the latch itself, I would have someone press down on the hood to compress any rubber gaskets or springs which are there to stop the hood from rattling. It will take pressure off the latch and open easier.
Have not read about a problem like this before but I just added another nut/ bolt to check to make sure it is tight. Good luck.

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #23  
I think I saw a boroscope at H. Depot recently. It would be a good way to get to the wire, as IT suggested. Everyone should have one!:thumbsup:

BTW, the lower front grille is held by two spring loaded, twist to lock pins at the top.

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #24  
I'm quite sure he is both honored and proud to be the first to deal with this problem! :cool2:

Actually something makes me doubt it, I know I wouldn't be in his place.

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #25  
I looked at my '010 DK-40 and found another place to access the hood latch. At the front of the hood where it rolls down there are 2 small air grilles. Cutting a hole in the left side grille facing the tractor will allow you to see into the latch area and pass a hangar through too based on what I looked at rather quickly this afternoon. Closer inspection would be warranted before proceeding. Last resort could be to go through the hood badge or after removing it cutting a hole in the center of the indented area to gain access to the latch. That's the extent of up my sleeve tricks for this issue.

CM out

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #26  
I think I may tie a string or add some baleing wire to the exposed cable, just for insurance.

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #27  
I think I may tie a string or add some baleing wire to the exposed cable, just for insurance.

Yes, I would run mechanics wire out through the hood's grille I mentioned in my last post with enough extra to attach a pull knob or wine bottle cork or similar as an emergency release.:thumbsup:

/ Hood latch on DK40 HST #28  
I took two more photos of my DK45s, which may help

1017141602.jpg 1017141601.jpg

Again, your tractor may be different but..

The first photo (shot from inside the hood) shows how the front screen is attached with small bolts, not clips which would be easy to pop free.

But notice also that you can see pretty well through the screen if you can just shine light inside the hood. Notice also the small (about 1/4 inch) hole in the screen, also shown from the outside in the second photo.

That hole was there when I bought the tractor, used, and I suspect the previous owner (or dealer) used that hole to release the hood. A guess to be sure but the hole looks to be in the right place and I didn't put it there.

Last edited:
   / Hood latch on DK40 HST #29  
Where's the OP? :confused2:
Some idea of the hood / grille design of his year tractor would narrow the options down to just a few.
My '010 hood has the headlights below much smaller horizontal metal grilles than ritcheyvs pics shown above. Below that is the larger, held in by clips, grille.