L3940 HSTC

/ L3940 HSTC #12  
Hey Murph, your link above takes me back into this thread???? Where is Fred's thread, I wanna catch up!!!

Its on post #8 of this thread.

/ L3940 HSTC #15  
Sad to see I jacked this gentleman's thread but hey maybe Messick's can sell these units now.

The turbo made a HUGE, HUGE difference on the power level. I had to turn in some more fuel to get there but so far the temps stay super cool. Oil temp hasn't gone over 165 (on the pan and filter with a infra-red gun) and the paint has not burned at all on the exhaust pipe before the turbo. This thing at RPM does not smoke one bit not even a fine haze. I have to order a gauge pack to verify my findings, this will be a waste of money because once I get the fuel setting correct I will remove the gauges. Trying time will be in the heat of Summer with the AC on and the mower that barely worked before the turbo install.

Below 1900 PRM you feel no difference but above that it kicks in and runs. Have 10 hours on it testing and checking bolts, leaks of which I had oil blowing all over the side of the engine, couldn't figure it out until I realized the dealership that installed my 3rd function WR Long kit never tightened any of the plugs in the side of the block and one of the plugs backed out and blew the oring sending oil everywhere. At least MY work was perfect. Same dealer (hate to say) failed to tighten any of the hydraulic hoses they installed and I found this out the day I brought the machine home.

Turbo was the best bang for the buck mod I ever did an any of my rigs.

Former Friend Fred

/ L3940 HSTC #16  
I wish The Fred would start a new thread to bring us up to date. Maybe the self-righteous types could stay off of the thread long enough for us to learn how the build turned out.

Edit: I see The Fred and I were posting at the same time. Thanks for the update, Fred. Sounds like it was a big success. My hat's off to you for your persistence and tenacity.

Last edited:
   / L3940 HSTC #17  
Sad to see I jacked this gentleman's thread but hey maybe Messick's can sell these units now.

The turbo made a HUGE, HUGE difference on the power level. I had to turn in some more fuel to get there but so far the temps stay super cool. Oil temp hasn't gone over 165 (on the pan and filter with a infra-red gun) and the paint has not burned at all on the exhaust pipe before the turbo. This thing at RPM does not smoke one bit not even a fine haze. I have to order a gauge pack to verify my findings, this will be a waste of money because once I get the fuel setting correct I will remove the gauges. Trying time will be in the heat of Summer with the AC on and the mower that barely worked before the turbo install.

Below 1900 PRM you feel no difference but above that it kicks in and runs. Have 10 hours on it testing and checking bolts, leaks of which I had oil blowing all over the side of the engine, couldn't figure it out until I realized the dealership that installed my 3rd function WR Long kit never tightened any of the plugs in the side of the block and one of the plugs backed out and blew the oring sending oil everywhere. At least MY work was perfect. Same dealer (hate to say) failed to tighten any of the hydraulic hoses they installed and I found this out the day I brought the machine home.

Turbo was the best bang for the buck mod I ever did an any of my rigs.

Former Friend Fred

Fred, any chance you could dyno it at a later date?

/ L3940 HSTC #19  
Fred gets my vote of person I'd most like to have a beer with and shoot the sh*t. Great vid, cracked up at the mask.

Nice work!

/ L3940 HSTC #20  
Good job Fred. Sounds like it is a success so far, hopefully it works as well in the summer under full load. Love the sound of the straight pipe, how does it sound at pto rpm under load?