L3940 HSTC

/ L3940 HSTC #21  
All you hear is the freeeking hydro whining worse than me obsessing over the whiny hydro. You can only hear the turbo at idle or high idle.
The straight pipe is temporary. I like quiet and will get it right, I need a muffler of some type.

Speaking of the hydro noise I see all the new Subaru CVT transmissions have a noise blanket around the top and sides to keep the "yayayayayayaayayayayayaya" noise from the consumer still paying on the 6 year NOTE. Maybe I could wrap a blanket around my hydro so I could hear the turbo better.

Fred

Another note too I removed the shim to get the pressure back to 2600 psi and the drop in RPM when using the hydraulics is almost completely gone (about 50 RPM drop).

/ L3940 HSTC #22  
Another note too I removed the shim to get the pressure back to 2600 psi and the drop in RPM when using the hydraulics is almost completely gone (about 50 RPM drop).

Aha, that answers that,. yeah that is about what I see with my similar sized Kioti.

Do you have any feel for how much HP you have gained with the turbo?

/ L3940 HSTC #23  
Fred, just asking about that noise you hear. My 4240htsc was making a similar noise you describe. It was very very loud. To the point I thought I had made a mistake buying a hydro. Dealer picked it up and ended up shimming the cab up a little. Apparently something was touching.One of the loader lines was also rubbing on the frame. All that noise is gone. What I call just normal hydro noise now.

/ L3940 HSTC #24  
Nice work, Sir!

Fred you can work on my tractor any time you want. :).

I'm impressed with your workmanship and I'm happy to hear it turned out well!

/ L3940 HSTC #25  
Thanks all,

Do you have any feel for how much HP you have gained with the turbo?
Feels like I added 25hp but no telling without checking it.

I'll check the cab to see if anything metal is close.

So far zero issues. Still does not start very well. Kept inside heated shop about 47 degrees. Let the glowplugs cycle once and it just doesn't start like my old Ciub Cadet left outdoors with a lower rad hose heater that I seldom use. That one starts down to 5 above witout plugging in.
My feeling is that if I left this 3940 outdoors it simply would not start below 30 above. Maybe it's me time will tell.

Fredjacker

/ L3940 HSTC #26  
Thanks all,

So far zero issues. Still does not start very well. Kept inside heated shop about 47 degrees. Let the glowplugs cycle once and it just doesn't start like my old Ciub Cadet left outdoors with a lower rad hose heater that I seldom use. That one starts down to 5 above witout plugging in.
My feeling is that if I left this 3940 outdoors it simply would not start below 30 above. Maybe it's me time will tell.

Fredjacker

Do you know for a fact the glow plugs are really working? Did you measure the voltage on them and resistance of the plug to the block. The two Kubota's I owned in the past were all pretty easy starters, and the Kioti I have now is exceptionaly easy starting. One bump on the key is all it ever takes. Just an idea.

James K0UA

/ L3940 HSTC #27  
Do you know for a fact the glow plugs are really working? Did you measure the voltage on them and resistance of the plug to the block. The two Kubota's I owned in the past were all pretty easy starters, and the Kioti I have now is exceptionaly easy starting. One bump on the key is all it ever takes. Just an idea. James K0UA

I second checking the glow plugs. My 5240 will fire on the first revolution down to about 14* (coldest I've tried so far), it does sputter and miss for a few seconds but it smooths out. Here is a video of mine starting.

/ L3940 HSTC #29  
Thanks all,

Fredjacker

Still am convinced that it is a timing issue with these emission engines. 2 degree increase in timing will make a big difference but won't be an issue because of turbo charging. Most DI turboed engines are 19-21*. I realize this is an IDI engine but that also means you can run even more advanced timing.
Have do a boost pressure check?

/ L3940 HSTC #30  
Nice job Fred what's next, an intercooler