Can't Copy JohnThomas

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #1  

bp fick

Tractor
John Deere X390
Most guys here know that JohnThomas is the trade-in king of Kubota, having traded something like 10 times in 6 years. John speaks often about how positive his experience has been, and sometimes suggests that tractors an be traded in, just like cars. Technically, that's true.

This week, I got two quotes on a new Kubota. Both dealers were within a few dollars of each other. What astounded me was that both were quite willing to take my current tractor in trade, even commenting on how clean it looked. Do dealers really want late model, low hour trade-ins they can't resell at zero percent? I don't think so. Only if the price is pushed down.

The problem was that they both, independently, offered me precisely the same amount on trade, as if they were quoting from a NADA type book. I'll keep the details to myself, as that wouldn't be wise at this point to talk about. However JohnThomas agrees to what Barlows give him for trade-in value, all I can say is this. I simply would never take the amount offered me. Buying retail and trading in for what was offered is a losing proposition.

Not suggesting you waste your local dealer's time, but offer your year old tractor back on trade and see if you could stand the loss.

Bet you couldn't.

Last edited:
   / Can't Copy JohnThomas #2  
Depends on what it costs and what you're willing to spend... I'm looking at upgrading as well... JT disease, I believe is what we should coin it... I have it now.:shocked:

I will look at the bottom line, if it looks good... I don't care how much the new tractor cost or how much I got for the old one. I have in my mind if it's $X,XXX or less, I'm fine with it. I'm pretty much a take or leave kind of guy. I don't haggle... and I don't like selling things, so I take all that into consideration.

And I'm sure there is a (hidden) blue book that kubota uses... that would not surprise me.

Also, I don't HAVE to upgrade, I want to...

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #3  
With a year old trade I would expect to take a big loss. On the other hand, there have been many testimonials from those who have sold 15 year old Kubota's for what they bought them new for. With 0% percent financing and a poor economy I don't know how one would expect much more than a weak trade in value these days. Try an independent sale, you will do better.

You refer to John's experiences with Barlow's a couple of times, have you talked to them?

MarkV

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #4  
Having traded in and sold private myself, you do much better on a private sale. You just dont get fair market value on a trade in.

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #5  
i worked retail for over twenty five years . . . for most of that i was buying and sometimes selling after a period of time, power equipment that i had outgrown (honda everything, wheelhorse,toro professional zero model). i have had the equivalent of the auto blue book . . . it was called the outdoor power equipment handbook . . . am almost certain your dealers were referencing it.
tractors can be an expensive passion (DUH! . . . & DOH!!!)
regards, shrekbelly

p.s. i just sold my honda 8hp hydro track hs828 for $300.00 lest than i paid for it 17 years early.

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #6  
We can't all copy John Thomas, but we can live vicariously through him.:D
As long as he keeps posting pictures, that is...

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas
Having traded in and sold private myself, you do much better on a private sale. You just dont get fair market value on a trade in.

Try an independent sale, you will do better.

You refer to John's experiences with Barlow's a couple of times, have you talked to them?

MarkV

Oh yes, agreed, a private sale is always better, if it is possible. The trade in offer does give you some point of reference for pricing. Yes, got a quote from Barlow's, but matched it easily locally and I am well out of their delivery area.

There is a B2320, loader, RFM, and box blade for sale locally. 14 hours on it. Guy lost his job. He'd take $11,500 for it. Had it on ebay and couldn't get that. This is just an example of how weak the nearly new market is.

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #8  
I would think some models are better than others. 6 months old and not alot of miles would be tough. WHy would you buy that when you could get a new one at 0%? However a couple of years later and 150 -180 hours is removed enough to the point that you are not really competing with new ones. I am trading my BX24 and I am happy with the deal.
Which new one do you want?
What do you still owe and what would your new payment be? If you want a new tractor and don't get it what is that worth? To me once I start thinking about it it's over.
Money aside I cant figure out why anyone would buy a BX1850 because the BX2360 or BX25 would always be lingering in the back of your mind. I bought a BX and no one with a B would understand that when you can get a B for just 4k more. And so on. That never stops no matter which model you pick. I was close to getting a B2620 but decided at the last minute to get a 2920 just because its 750 more and no questions down the road.
Anyway get what you really want. You will like it more and keep it longer. Life is too short to do anything else.

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #9  
:D
Most guys here know that JohnThomas is the trade-in king of Kubota, having traded something like 10 times in 6 years. John speaks often about how positive his experience has been, and sometimes suggests that tractors an be traded in, just like cars. Technically, that's true.

Not suggesting you waste your local dealer's time, but offer your year old tractor back on trade and see if you could stand the loss.

Bet you couldn't.

Bet I can and have 4 times with one year old tractors. A BX2200, L3240HST, BX2350 and a B3200. I did sell one to an individual and not trade it in but Took a worse beating on it than any of the others. The B7800 kept for 3 years and the BX1500 kept for 3 years. Is that 10 yet? I do have 3 now but that should add up to 10. I imagine there is a book with average pricing but when I went to Barlows I sat down and asked Steve how he would trade me for my B3200 to his BX25. He sat there a few minutes and then asked me what I had in mind. I told him I wasn't sure what did he think. He thought and told me a number and asked what did I think about it. It's the exact number I was hoping for. It was the number I was hoping for which is why I keep going back to him. He could have asked more but he didn't which I take as respect for me and wanting my business. I like and appreciate that. He didn't look at any book because I sat there with him for the entire 5 minutes of trade talk. From beginning to end. He knows his business and what he can sell my used tractor for and his customer base, cash and credit customers. Now I was there for more than 5 minutes but that's how long we negotiated. I'm not saying trading after one year gets you the best return. It doesn't. With inflation tractors maintain their value pretty well if they are maintained well just like cars. I also consider how long do I have to live and decide I don't know but I know it's less time than I've already lived so do I want to pay a few extra bucks to be more contented or do I wnat to leave my savings to some bango picker that will tell my widow how much he appreciates my frugal life style. I think not.:) I expect Barlows to make a profit just like Subaru, GM and the other car dealers. I just tell them not to make it all on me, to spread it out amongst all customers. I tell my dentist the same thing. He doeswn't listen.:) My wife thinks I'm a hard negotiator but sales peole like to see me come because they know I'm not trying to keep them from making a profit but they now know if they insult me I'll never be back. Well, one time I wouldn't buy from the local Toyota dealer for 15 years but I gave them another shot and bought 3 from them in 2 years since they quit insulting me. Also and above all, I like the deal. I like the deal. Some times more than what I get. I like the deal. :D:D:D
There are traders and there are those that wear them out and pay maintenance costs. I'm a trader and all I wear out are my shoes, I'll keep them till my wife throws them away as well as my clothes. New ones just appear.:)

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas
Can't duplicate what you got going with Barlows, JT, thus the title of this thread. Haven't bought from a good neighbor as you have from them. Haven't bought 10 times either. No doubt, they know you, like you, know your equipment, and know you're back over and over again. Like the title of this thread say, can't copy that. They also know you rep on their behalf here pretty well. Doesn't hurt.

I have had some relationships like that in my life. They are pretty great.