Can't Copy JohnThomas

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #11  
Dealers in my area offer for a trade half of what they will price it for on their lot and will maybe take 15% off that when you get serious about buying so yes you get royally hosed to trade. Of course there always are exceptions but not many. Selling private of course is not always alot of fun either.:drool:

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #12  
Well..I Checked with everyone around me on a trade and they all came in with the same number..Not too bad either..All dealers.

I don't want to deal with tire kickers anymore. Had my fill of that when I restored cars. Besides, some of those people have other motives. I'll trade them in and keep my family safe, even though I have big dogs and big guns.:D

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #13  
I got my first Kubota with 210 hours on it. An L4350 that was close to 30 grand new, or better. 17500 minus my trade in was what I paid. Thank God for people that trade in low hour units. Guess it depends on what level in the froth that your bottom line is. The market may have changed some and I do see more now that used is closer to new than it was in the past. If no one trade or bought where would we be then?

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas
Sure, if one tries to trade in a year old tractor, there is a loss of a few grand. You buy retail and trade back in wholesale, so there is that loss. But, wait, there is more.

I've said this before, but here in the Mitten, we also get hosed on the sales tax. The governor got a grand on that first sale and you'll pay another grand in tax on the new one. JT has a different set of rules on that in KY. Can't match him on that either.

Just saying that this row is too long and weedy for most people to hoe.

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #15  
Sure, if one tries to trade in a year old tractor, there is a loss of a few grand. You buy retail and trade back in wholesale, so there is that loss. But, wait, there is more.

I've said this before, but here in the Mitten, we also get hosed on the sales tax. The governor got a grand on that first sale and you'll pay another grand in tax on the new one. JT has a different set of rules on that in KY. Can't match him on that either.

Just saying that this row is too long and weedy for most people to hoe.

How many is a few? In Ky that's 3 and that's not a correct figure or it hasn't been for me. A couple is 2. For me the couple is true not the few. Most people won't/don't hoe that row because of their perspective. My perspective:) is that life is short and the older you/I get the shorter it gets, for both of us. What's a couple, not a few, grand for happiness? There is also the pleasure of the deal.:) It's like the BX2350, every time I would use it, I would get a bit frustrated at the reverse jerk and slightly irritated at the seat cutoff. How much is that bit of irritation in ones life on a regular basis for who knows how many years worth? To me it was worth under a couple of grand or less. These aren't like a wife which shouldn't be traded at a slight bit of irritation. These are machines and it's only money.:) How much is a persons happiness worth in dollars? Now there are some people that are happy because they have money and the money is what makes them happy. I'm not one of them. Moneys only value to me is what it buys. Now, I don't get pleasure in boating, golfing, drinking, smoking, bowling, gambling, 4 wheeling or running with wild women but I do enjoy a different tractor/vehicle and traveling. For me trading is therapeutic and I'm sticking to that story.:) It's actually cheap therapy and I'm also sticking to that story. I also still have a tractor after all the payments are done, if ever. Bottom line trade/sale now or trade sale later and save a few dollars, maybe. We each have our own form of recreation. Mines trading and it's not just tractors and vehicles. I have other "stuff" I buy and trade and I don't think I lose on them.:)

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #16  
John I agree completely with all you posted..You only live once so enjoy it while you can ..life is too short and everyone has their special something they enjoy and I can't imagine a better addiction than cars, trucks and tractors...have at it..!!!! :)

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas
How many is a few? In Ky that's 3 and that's not a correct figure or it hasn't been for me. A couple is 2. For me the couple is true not the few. )

Standing corrected. A few was a careless use of the language. A couple is 2, not just in Ky but everywhere. :D:D

OK, a couple of grand, but the governor here makes it 3, and that is a few.:D:D
Three G's is too much for my blood in one year. John, please don't take anything I said as personal, because, buddy, you do what pleases you. Just sayin' the sales tax puts me over the edge. Might do 2 grand loss in a year to trade, but not 3 grand. Which means I cannot match your trading, although I have a genuine need to do so. I will either have to sell mine outright and I am patient enough to try and do that, cutting the loss, or get through the year of gardening as is. It can be done. Necessity finds a way. Not having a tractor, now that would be sad. Having one that is a little out of sorts, well, that's just builds character. :)

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #18  
Standing corrected. A few was a careless use of the language. A couple is 2, not just in Ky but everywhere. :D:D

OK, a couple of grand, but the governor here makes it 3, and that is a few.:D:D
Three G's is too much for my blood in one year. John, please don't take anything I said as personal, because, buddy, you do what pleases you. Just sayin' the sales tax puts me over the edge. Might do 2 grand loss in a year to trade, but not 3 grand. Which means I cannot match your trading, although I have a genuine need to do so. I will either have to sell mine outright and I am patient enough to try and do that, cutting the loss, or get through the year of gardening as is. It can be done. Necessity finds a way. Not having a tractor, now that would be sad. Having one that is a little out of sorts, well, that's just builds character. :)

:)I'm not taking any of this personal. I enjoy it or I wouldn't respond. A couple grand I'll do and do do. But a few would cause me to take a real hard look. Fortunately in Ky I only have to pay 6% sales tax on the difference. That was about $39 on my last trade. On cars, if it's new we have to pay full 6% sales tax trade or straight out. If the cars are used we only have to pay on the difference. I think this is educational for people that want to trade or buy and talk themselves out of doing anything. Call, email or go see a dealer and feel good about not trading for the difference they want to trade or feel good that a dealer traded for a price you can accept. If you've dreamed of going to Alaska or anywhere for that matter, stop dreaming and get online or call a travel agent and get on the plane or drive it. Take a train trip across the country. Drive across the country. I'm not talking about someone that can't afford to eat, pay their bills or has no excess income. If there's money beyond the necessities of life, then enjoy what time you've got left. Dying rich still makes you dead. Dying with alot of money leaves a wealth widow for a Bango player to visit and convince her that he needs a new tractor. She'll get it for him and tell how she wishes her dead husband had spent more on himself and the Bango player will be thinking he's sure glad he didn't.:D Tip: Trading out of state can resolve the tax issue for those that don't have to tell everything they know.:)

/ Can't Copy JohnThomas #19  
mental note... learn to spell... err, um, PLAY the banjo...

I was going to upgrade my tractor and the price was "right" but I took a moment... and decided, I'm happy with what I got and it's done what I need to do... a little slower but I'm fine with that. I'll take the money that I would have spent on the upgrade... and fix up my tractor with what I want... Tnt/toothbar/grapple... (that is if I can get it past the wife :shocked:)

PS. sorry about the pun on spelling... I once had -1 point for spelling data as "dada" since it was easier to "manually" type... in a scientific report without the use of spell checkers... I used the word 40 times... my mind "saw" dada but read it as data. Have not done that mistake ever again.

Last edited:
   / Can't Copy JohnThomas #20  
I've been kicking around a trade up, but the trade price is the biggest hang up. It ain't a couple K, it's a whole lot more. For me to go from the L3130 to the L3540 with cab it was over $15K difference. For 4 hp and a cab, I'm not willing to practically give away a low hour tractor to get a cab.