So why do you buy Kubota? Even though Roy says JD's best? :)

/ So why do you buy Kubota? Even though Roy says JD's best? :) #81  
I'm buying a new Kubota, but I'm gonna paint her green, and get a blue seat:D:D

Big Al

/ So why do you buy Kubota? Even though Roy says JD's best? :) #82  
MORE on the snobbish dealers! Six years ago when I was looking for my first tractor (and only tractor), I went to the Deere dealership down in Coachella Valley. It's quite some distance from my place. Now this dealer is primarily an AG dealer for the Coachella and Imperial Valley. I asked the salesman about a "30 horsepower tractor". With a sneer on his face he said, "I think we got a couple out back, go and see what you want. Here's the RETAIL price list that we sell at, let me know which one you want".

I don't know if a Deere is a good tractor or not, because I have never even been on the seat.

Drove another 10 miles to the Kubota dealer and you know the rest of that tune.

/ So why do you buy Kubota? Even though Roy says JD's best? :) #83  
Once a month I deliver a "free paper" and I am in at least 10 JD dealers. They all seem professional and have a selection of green tractors from lawn to very large.

My problem was, none of them have the Yellow Deere's. To go there, I have only one choice for a very large radius. They are closed at odd hours and more difficult to deal with.

The several Kubota Dealers that I go into each month also have a nice selection of tractors. They also have the machine we are looking for.

Since both brands have most of the features we are looking for, we decided on Kubota for price, availability and durability.

/ So why do you buy Kubota? Even though Roy says JD's best? :) #84  
I am on my second Kubota. I bought the first, a BX 2200, back in 2000. It was the only SCUT on the market, and also, quite simply, all I could afford then. The dealership I bought from was familiar, as my family had bought Case construction equipment from them for 25 years.

When I decided to trade last year, I had developed a parts/service relationship with another Kubota dealer. I looked at a JD 2520, and liked it, but the price difference I was quoted was $1500 more than the B 2620, which I liked just as well. I also have gotten used to performing maintenance on a Kubota.

If I buy another tractor, I wil look at both makes again. I will mention that I have a dream of having a 1960's era JD (2010, 2510, 3020, etc) one day, the same as I used helping on farms in the 70's and 80's.

Will

/ So why do you buy Kubota? Even though Roy says JD's best? :) #85  
Anybody who thinks Kubota doesn't build tractors to last should eyeball this 1982 L295DT I owned for 15 years (second owner) and recently sold with a little over 400 hours on it. Ran like a Swiss watch. Admittedly it had been babied, but boy what a nice little tractor. My only problem with it was it was going to cost me more than the machine was worth to put a loader on it, would have required installing a front hydraulic pump kit plus the plumbing and the loader, total around $6K. Since I had to have a loader, I went shopping and came home with a JD that does exactly what I need to do for about $1600 less than a comparable new Kubota. Operator legroom and foot room for tall drivers was a consideration, too. JD has it all over Kubota in that regard. Maybe it's a factor of American guys vice Japanese doing designing the operating position. I wish Kubota would spend a few bucks to add some more seat adjustment and a more comfortable better pedal setup for larger people. I had to do some pretty extensive mods to the seat of this L295DT but finally got it to fit me just fine. Didn't want to have to do that with a new tractor.

Next time, if there is a next time, I'll look again at Kubotas first, though, because of my excellent experience with this fine little L295DT. Maybe by then Kubota will have finally hired a few design engineers that are over 5'8" tall. :)

Attachments

• L295DT.JPG
    L295DT.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 480
   / So why do you buy Kubota? Even though Roy says JD's best? :) #86  
Seriously, are there really that many Deere dealerships out there with bad attitudes??? I have managed a small dealership, worked behind the parts and service counters, and done both inside and outside sales with 4 different dealerships over the last 19+ years and consider myself a professional and it really does pain me to hear these stories... Deere has been a part of all 4 dealerships with many other brands sold at them as well - and I would never allow anyone to treat a customer the way I have heard on here. Asking questions (and listening to the answers), building relationships and helping people get the job done are the things that need to be done to be a sucessful salesperson in this business - and for salespeople like me I apologize to anyone that has received poor service or attitude at any dealer, of any color - but especially green - because not all of us are like that.

The Deere Dealers I visited were during a 2 week period... all were in California.

Decided I needed a small compact TLB... just needed to decide on the make and model. Looked at a couple of private party offerings... my first post on TBN was about a tractor I had found for sale on this site...

After wasting time looking at used... I decided to bite the bullet and go new.

After I bought the Kubota and mentioned how easy it was to buy orange vs. green to a friend that breeds horses... he said I should have let him know and he would have called his Deere salesman.

A couple of weeks later... my friend said he mentioned my experience to his Deere Salesman and the salesman said I had come in during Harvest Time... their busiest time of the year...

How am I supposed to know that... went to buy a tractor and couldn't get the time of day... the receptionist told me at one place she could make an appointment for me... a week from when I went in.

The dealerships were basically deserted...

The Kubota Dealer didn't seem to have any Harvest Time pressures... I asked him what he had in a small TLB and he faxed me a quote... called him back and said I would like to make arrangements to pick it up Saturday morning and offered a deposit... which he declined... said not a problem to hold it till Saturday... simple as could be...

Kubota was the only dealer I did not visit before buying...

/ So why do you buy Kubota? Even though Roy says JD's best? :) #87  
   / So why do you buy Kubota? Even though Roy says JD's best? :) #88  
HEY! I resemble that remark!!! :)

Yeah, Roy got me on that one as I own several Rugers as well as a John Deere; course I own just about two or more of most every other brand too including a Glock 19:eek:

/ So why do you buy Kubota? Even though Roy says JD's best? :) #89  
I was wondering what that was all about...
I own a couple of Rugers and happen to like them. :p

/ So why do you buy Kubota? Even though Roy says JD's best? :) #90  
Since I had to have a loader, I went shopping and came home with a JD that does exactly what I need to do for about $1600 less than a comparable new Kubota. Operator legroom and foot room for tall drivers was a consideration, too. JD has it all over Kubota in that regard. Maybe it's a factor of American guys vice Japanese doing designing the operating position. I wish Kubota would spend a few bucks to add some more seat adjustment and a more comfortable better pedal setup for larger people. I had to do some pretty extensive mods to the seat of this L295DT but finally got it to fit me just fine. Didn't want to have to do that with a new tractor.

Awesome that you got the tractor you needed at a great price.:thumbsup: If the JD dealer here treated me slightly better than a leper and was willing to give me an equivalent tractor for $1600 less, you can believe I'd be riding green metal instead of orange. In my case, it was quite the opposite.

And there have been several people mentioning the cramped legroom on Kubotas. Is this mainly older Kubotas? I'm 6'2", 205#, so I'm not exactly tiny. But I have no complaints about my BX's workstation. Never having owned another tractor, maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.:confused3: