Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040
Next year will be the first that I will make ag revenue as my first calves will be ready for slaughter and I will be selling my current herd bull. Unfortunately my operation is small and I don't expect to make more than $9k gross revenue. Enough to finally qualify as a farm but not enough to be an HST registrant.

So far every thing points in the direction of the M. It is about as wide as the GL but taller. I don't have any places it needs to go where it won't fit. Might require an extra backup and turn in the odd spot when working in the barnyard tho I doubt even that.

Whenever I do move it will be to a bigger place.

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #12  
You may be amazed at the short turning radius of the M7040. The way the front geometry is set up there is a lot of room to turn the wheels.

Try it out on the dealer's lot along with any other tractors under consideration.

My M7040 out-turned the L3650 by a large margin. Much of my work is done in trees so it makes a difference.

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #13  
For 90% loader work on a farm I would take a shuttle over hydro an day. After you use shuttle for 3 hrs moving bales, manure, mowing or in snow you wont miss the hydro.

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #14  
powerstroke444e said:
For 90% loader work on a farm I would take a shuttle over hydro an day. After you use shuttle for 3 hrs moving bales, manure, mowing or in snow you wont miss the hydro.

I agree totally!!

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #15  
TO go to the larger property and the option of attachments the 7040 is a go!

I do like the grand L and the transmission but, I feel it would be borderline at best for the larger property and not that you couldn't use it now>

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #16  
The only way I would go with the GL would be if it offered something that the M didn't have and you really needed. I'm not sure if the HST+ transmission would be enough on it's own. If, lets say, you were going with a front blower and wanted a mid PTO to drive it to keep the rear PTO free for other uses then I might go with the GL. But from everything you've said I just don't see the GL offering enough to justify it.

I would go back to the dealer and spend some more time with the 7040. Spend some time with the shuttle to get more comfortable with it. For the kind of money you're spending I don't think a little extra seat time before hand would be a bad thing.

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #17  
What's the difference in lift capacity?

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040
What's the difference in lift capacity?

Note that the specs are at different locations.

M7040
M20 specs
(V) Lift Capacity (800 mm forward, max height)
Standard 2550 lbs. (1160 kg)
(X) Lift Capacity (800 mm forward, 1500 mm height)
Standard 2420 lbs. (1100 kg)

GL4740
(V) Lift Capacity (500 mm forward, max height
Standard 1878 lbs. (852 kg)
(X) Lift Capacity (500 mm forward, 1500 mm height)
Standard 2509 lbs. (1138 kg)

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #19  
Says who? You can earn 5$ and be an HST registrant. Just don't have to until you're over 30,000$.

I'd go with the M. I went L and its been great but farming tasks are not its best use. I have a larger tractor too.

The other nice thing about the M7040, is Kubota will sell it in Canada with big R1W front tires that are great in soft ground. Thats my biggest complaint on the L's, little tires cut into wet ground and ride rougher.

Enough to finally qualify as a farm but not enough to be an HST registrant.

/ Help me making a final decision L4740 vs M7040 #20  
I second the tire comments. The bigger tires are a real plus. I love the size of my L and it does what I need but the bigger tires are always a plus for me. That is the one complaint I have with the L is the small front tires.:thumbsup: