Tractor Sizing Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #21  
What question was that?

BTW I am not suggesting that someone should not buy a L4600, or any other tractor that they fancy. I would however recomend that they try it out with a bushhog attached. Between the length and weight of this attachment any problems would be easly detected. Kubota sells lots of standard L tractors, I assume the owners are happy with them.

Bill

Bill,

I did ask them about the jerky lift on L3400 and if they have fixed it. Couple of years ago I passed by another dealer in Lawrence and did a test drive on L3400 that had a brush hog attached to it. it was smooth enough going up and down. QTR inching valve I supposed designed to be stop at each 1/4 inch rather than position control. I'm curious how fine tuning of the lift system can effect the jerky response.

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #22  
Bill,

I did ask them about the jerky lift on L3400 and if they have fixed it. Couple of years ago I passed by another dealer in Lawrence and did a test drive on L3400 that had a brush hog attached to it. it was smooth enough going up and down. QTR inching valve I supposed designed to be stop at each 1/4 inch rather than position control. I'm curious how fine tuning of the lift system can effect the jerky response.

There are several members that tried to adjust that valve I don't recall any positive lasting results. The first tractor I looked at was a L3400 (I think). To correct the jerky hitch the dealer told me that they could install a different valve, that should correct the problem. They had done this for another TBN member and he was happy with the results. I decided that non standard parts wern't the best way to go. I was more interested in the larger L4400 and 4600, just based on their longer WB, and operator space.
Now I don't know if the larger L could have worked smoothly if the valve had been readjusted. I just didn't want to bet my money that it could. I haved owned several tractors of different brands in my lifetime, and operated quite a few others. The only ones that didn't operate smoothly for me were those Kubotas.

Bill

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #23  
There are several members that tried to adjust that valve I don't recall any positive lasting results. The first tractor I looked at was a L3400 (I think). To correct the jerky hitch the dealer told me that they could install a different valve, that should correct the problem. They had done this for another TBN member and he was happy with the results. I decided that non standard parts wern't the best way to go. I was more interested in the larger L4400 and 4600, just based on their longer WB, and operator space.
Now I don't know if the larger L could have worked smoothly if the valve had been readjusted. I just didn't want to bet my money that it could. I haved owned several tractors of different brands in my lifetime, and operated quite a few others. The only ones that didn't operate smoothly for me were those Kubotas.

Bill

Bill,

I got a MX-4700 on a crate with my name on it. I tried MX-5100 with a some box blade/scraper on it and it was smooth. I hope mine would be the same. MX-5100 and 4700 to my knowledge are exactly identical with the exception of a turbo on 5100 and telescopic lower lift arms. Will see.

JC,

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #24  
I never tried any M Series tractors. I would think that they would be alright.
If you want to play it safe, you could try it at the dealership before you accept delivery. I can't imagine it being a problem, but better it be their problem than yours.:D

Congrats on the new tractor. :cool2:

Best, Bill

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #25  
Congratulations on your new tractor, the MX47/5100 are fine tractors; never heard of any complaints on either.

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #26  
too many arm chair quaterbacks on the internet.

The L4400\L4600 are GL30 derived tractors. If you seem to think it had a jerky hitch, then every other one of the 10's of thounds of GL30's out there must have it as well. These tractors DO NOT have quater inching values, quater inching 3pt has an Up/Down lever, not a 1-8 which is position control. Even if it was, the quater inching hardware does not exibit the jerkyness problem. Its limited to only the small std L's, and even then those that really jerk in a bad way are few and far between.

This is the problem with all the threads about the mysterious jerky hitch. Its a very subjective thing and you need some pretty specific circumstances to find an actual jerky unit.

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #27  
I have driven L3800 as well with a 5 foot Land Pride and 3 pt. lift was not jerky at all.

JC,

ps. Thanks for the purchase. I'll be there in the operating room when they put it together:D

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #28  

The L4400\L4600 are GL30 derived tractors. If you seem to think it had a jerky hitch, then every other one of the 10's of thounds of GL30's out there must have it as well. These tractors DO NOT have quater inching values, quater inching 3pt has an Up/Down lever, not a 1-8 which is position control. Even if it was, the quater inching hardware does not exibit the jerkyness problem. Its limited to only the small std L's, and even then those that really jerk in a bad way are few and far between.

This is the problem with all the threads about the mysterious jerky hitch. Its a very subjective thing and you need some pretty specific circumstances to find an actual jerky unit.

Sorry, I must have fallen asleep in my armchair and dreamt the whole thing.

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #29  
So to get back to the OP's topic....

The GL tractors are really nice. I have one and love it. Size-wise, the L3940 is probably about the same size as an L4600. The GLs are just bigger and beefier. The L3940 probably weighs more than the L4600, too. That could make a difference to you. Obviously, try the 3pt before you buy on any tractor anywhere, ever.

For the price difference between the L3240 and L3940, I would not even consider the L3240. They are physically close in size but a good deal more power in the L3940 for not much more long term investment.

Since you are getting a gear tractor, the Grand Ls lose out on their most attractive feature: HST+. But they still have the other niceties; tilt steering, better operator platform, beefier and heavier, telescoping 3pt, integrated loader control, etc.

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #30  

Sorry, I must have fallen asleep in my armchair and dreamt the whole thing.
What Messick's is saying, is the L4400/4600 are built on the Grand L platform and do not have the jerky hitch.