Tractor Sizing Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #11  
The L4400 - L4600 are derived from the older Grand L-30 series. Its basicly a grand L30 w/o rubber floor mats.

I beg to differ.
They may have derived from a Grand L, but the ones I tested all had the jerkey hitch. :thumbdown:My dealer had a few 4400 and 4600 tractors on the lot. If they didn't have the jerkey hitch, I would have bought one of them. I didn't really want a GL. I do like the GL features, but I could have lived without them, to save some money.
The salesman actually brought the 3PH to my attention. They called it an Inching Valve because it moves up in increments. And thats the way it was intended to work. I call it a Jerkey Hitch because that's the way it works. If the hitch was the same as the Grand L, why would the salesman pointed it out as a "feature"?:confused2:
I have tried two Grand Ls and they both operated smoothly. I have yet to operate a standard L that operates the same as a GL.

Bill

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #12  
I actually test drove L4600 and MX5100/4700 for several hrs. M series we re a bit more beefy, refined and a better all around than L4600. I did not notice any jerky lift on L4600. In my opinion only "Thailand" manufactured was the only alight negative I saw on L4600. L4600 was my original choice. L4600 is a lot more tractor than L4400 due to great shuttle shift than the mechanical shuttle and a better loader.

JC,

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #13  
I actually test drove L4600 and MX5100/4700 for several hrs. M series we re a bit more beefy, refined and a better all around than L4600. I did not notice any jerky lift on L4600. In my opinion only "Thailand" manufactured was the only alight negative I saw on L4600. L4600 was my original choice. L4600 is a lot more tractor than L4400 due to great shuttle shift than the mechanical shuttle and a better loader.

JC,

Just wondering. When you operated the 3PH on these tractors, did you have anything heavy attached, like a box blade or bush hog? If so did you try to raise the 3PH slowly?

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #14  
Notforhire I want to point out messick is a kubota dealer so he may have some validity in what he says. Do you think your salesman might have been trying to sale you a more expensive tractor to make more commission? I have an L4400 and it's hitch is smooth every L4400 I gave seen had a smooth hitch they are a different design from the smaller L's that I do know for a fact.

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #15  
Just wondering. When you operated the 3PH on these tractors, did you have anything heavy attached, like a box blade or bush hog? If so did you try to raise the 3PH slowly?

No, it did not have anything heavy on the back end. Some add land pride quick attach where it would not be very heavy.

JC,

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #16  
Notforhire I want to point out messick is a kubota dealer so he may have some validity in what he says. Do you think your salesman might have been trying to sale you a more expensive tractor to make more commission? I have an L4400 and it's hitch is smooth every L4400 I gave seen had a smooth hitch they are a different design from the smaller L's that I do know for a fact.

He didn't try to steer me to a GL at all. He was very busy one day with several other customers. It was my third trip to the dealership. He gave me a handfull of keys, and said try anything on the lot. I actually hooked up a Bushhog to the tractors and tried the 3PH at different RPMs.
After only finding jerky hitches on the regular L. I tried a GL just to compare. The difference was night and day. Believe me I wanted the hitch to be smooth on the 4600. Other than that, I really liked everything about it. So I was not going by what the salesman told me, I actually tried them myself. BTW when the salesman mentioned the "inching valve" he didn't present it as a defect, but as a feature. So he wasn't trying to sell me a GL. As a matter of fact he was suprised that I had even looked at the GLs while he was gone because I had told him I wasn't interested because of the price.
The 3240 I ended up buying was a NOS so the price turned out less than the 4600. If it was a current model and priced as such, I would have left without buying a Kubota.
The only other explaniation I can offer is that my dealership gets defective units, in order to sell more Masseys. Beyond that I don't know what to tell you. If your tractor, and the ones that Messick has tried are smooth, thats great, but all the ones I tried wern't and I didn't dream it.:laughing:

Bill

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #18  
It would be difficult to tell without a heavy attachment on.

I know that and have no argument with that. I would have tried heavy load on l4600 if I wanted to buy it. I found the dealer I talked tobe very honest and saw no reason to not believe him when I asked the question.

JC,

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #19  
I know that and have no argument with that. I would have tried heavy load on l4600 if I wanted to buy it. I found the dealer I talked tobe very honest and saw no reason to not believe him when I asked the question.

JC,

What question was that?

BTW I am not suggesting that someone should not buy a L4600, or any other tractor that they fancy. I would however recomend that they try it out with a bushhog attached. Between the length and weight of this attachment any problems would be easly detected. Kubota sells lots of standard L tractors, I assume the owners are happy with them.

Bill

/ Kubota L4600, L3240, L3940 #20  
Maybe I missed it but what type of transmission are you planning on getting? The Grand L tractors have probably the best HST transmission being sold today but if you're looking at a gear tractor then you loose a lot of what makes the GL stand out. Are you planning on getting a loader? I think the 4600 has a larger loader but I can't say for sure.