RTV 500 Buying Questions

/ RTV 500 Buying Questions #1  

kubotacres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560 HST
So after many weeks of looking at various models, brands, golf carts, I've decided to purchase a RTV 500. I plan on test driving it next week and possibly purchasing if it pleases me. I'm almost certain that it will meet the demands of what I will use it for, but I have a few questions that I hope some of the RTV 500 owners can help me on.

Firstly how is the cold starting and fuel economy of the Kubota gas engine? I had planned on going with the diesel for these two reasons, but if the gas engine can surpass my expectations then I don't see the reason for spending another 3k. I hate having to choke and warm my atv's for several minutes for a quick ride even in 80 degree weather.. I also hate having to lug around 5 gallons of gas every couple weeks. I had looked at a utility golf cart for economy reasons, but they are just too expensive for what you actually getting, which is a golf cart with a bed. With the RTV being Fuel Injected I would assume economy would be better than my carbed atvs. Any info regarding fuel economy and cold starting on the Fuel Injected 500?

Secondly, what are the known issues with these machines? Only thing I could find out from searching if the engine braking can be somewhat aggravating. Also speed is slow( 25 mph) which isn't as problem for me since I rarely get over 10-15 mph on my property. Otherwise I haven't read any major issues, which is what I expect from Kubota.:thumbsup:

Only accessories I plan to purchase at this time is a Roof and possible Brush guard. It will also have the ATV tires. All I need is something I can fire up quickly when needed and use for chores around the house. Any other information I need to know? thanks,

/ RTV 500 Buying Questions #2  
I have had no problems starting my RTV500 during what passes for cold winter weather in Florida.

Gas use seems reasonable to me. I very, very seldom drive in other than the HST High mode. My bed is always full of tools. I often pull a Canadian MUTS all-terrain trailer, which I use to pick up fallen tree debris, bulky load but not heavy.

I have the factory roof and I like it. I do not like the strong summer Florida sun on my head. A 140 pound youth can stand on factory roof to trim branches. A 200 pound adult cannot.

You buy a Kubota RTV for its HST transmission, the best available for a vehicle that will work. Concomitantly, your max speed is 25-mph. If Kubota installed a 3-range HST it would go 32-mph, cost more and probably not sell as well.

Utility vehicles are built for robust service. Golf carts are not.

I have the optional turf tires. They give a smoother ride on paved roads than the standard ribs. I have never experienced a traction problem off road, but we have no mud at any time where I live in Florida. Turfs also look kool.

If you are planning to tow, be aware that the socket on the RTV500 is short. Your dealer will shorten the hitch insert for you. (Hitch not included in RTV500 price.)

I find the gas RTV500 to be a little loud, though quieter than the diesels. I wear sound deadening muffs when operating by myself.

MUTS - Multi-Use Trailer System for your ATV, Quad and 4 Wheeler - Welcome

Attachments

• DSC00107.jpg
    DSC00107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 816
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
   / RTV 500 Buying Questions
I have had no problems starting my RTV500 during what passes for cold winter weather in Florida.

Gas use seems reasonable to me. I very, very seldom drive in other than the HST High mode. My bed is always full of tools. I often pull a Canadian MUTS all-terrain trailer, which I use to pick up fallen tree debris, bulky load but not heavy.

I have the factory roof and I like it. I do not like the strong summer Florida sun on my head. A 140 pound youth can stand on factory roof to trim branches. A 200 pound adult cannot.

You buy a Kubota RTV for its HST transmission, the best available for a vehicle that will work. Concomitantly, your max speed is 25-mph. If Kubota installed the 3-range HST it would go 32-mph, cost more and probably not sell as well.

Utility vehicles are built for robust service. Golf carts are not.

I have the optional turf tires. They give a smoother ride on paved roads than the standard ribs. I have never experienced a traction problem off road, but we have no mud at any time where I live in Florida. Turfs also look kool.

If you are planning to tow, be aware that the socket on the RTV500 is short. Your dealer will shorten the hitch insert for you.

I find the RTV500 to be a little loud, though quieter than the diesels. I wear sound deadening muffs when operating by myself.

MUTS - Multi-Use Trailer System for your ATV, Quad and 4 Wheeler - Welcome

Good info, I think I'll be happy with it from what I've heard. Talked to my dealer just a minute ago and he assured me great starting in very cold weather.

/ RTV 500 Buying Questions #4  
I've never had any problem with starting, but it's never below about 50 degrees at worst. These things run like a new car, turn the key and it starts.

I have to admit I'm hauling 5 gallon containers of gas all the time....

/ RTV 500 Buying Questions #5  
My 500 has never failed to start when it is cold here in northern Michigan. The machine is slow but a workhorse and not really to hard on gas (wish it had a fuel gauge on the dash) and a tach. I put an enclosure on mine made by Tractor co., and made wood racks for the bed. Check back on some of my old posts on the ATV forum here. I wish that it also had a bit more ground clearence and that it was a bit wider on the inside. I also own a Polaris 500 UTV and each has its own pluses and negatives.

/ RTV 500 Buying Questions #6  
If you type in a search for 'RTV500' in the Search Box at top, you can read about the RTV500 the next week.

/ RTV 500 Buying Questions #7  
My 2014 rtv 500 $ 9500 cash front & rear lights roof brush gaurd hitch windshield flashing lights
If add anything do in deal

/ RTV 500 Buying Questions #8  
My 500 started perfectly in all weather conditions, no problems there.

Fuel economy is really outstanding for a gas machine.

Will do virtually anything in Low range, High rage is for getting from here to there.

One of the better things about the 500 is its size. It'll go on virtually any quad trail without width issues.

Sounds like you are aware that it isn't a speed demon which was fine with me too.

Had the ATV tires loved them for snow and mud.

I'd think about a windshield if you're going for the roof. Expensive but well worth it if you go with OEM glass.

If I had the storage space, I'd still have mine.

/ RTV 500 Buying Questions
My 500 started perfectly in all weather conditions, no problems there.

Fuel economy is really outstanding for a gas machine.

Will do virtually anything in Low range, High rage is for getting from here to there.

One of the better things about the 500 is its size. It'll go on virtually any quad trail without width issues.

Sounds like you are aware that it isn't a speed demon which was fine with me too.

Had the ATV tires loved them for snow and mud.

I'd think about a windshield if you're going for the roof. Expensive but well worth it if you go with OEM glass.

If I had the storage space, I'd still have mine.

Well I just got back from the dealer test driving the RTV500. It seems that its just what I'm looking for. I can get a Polaris or Honda for a lil less money, but I've had good luck with Kubota.. One thing I didn't know was the Diff lock is actually for the front, I thought it was for the rear. Overall the power is pretty peppy but It will take some time getting used to the Hydro Tranny. One thing I dislike is the fuel gauge being underneath the seat. Seems for the overall money spent that Kubota could've had a gauge accessible from the seat or even better on the dash. Come next week I think I may have a shiny orange RTV to match the rest of my toys.

/ RTV 500 Buying Questions #10  
Well I just got back from the dealer test driving the RTV500. It seems that its just what I'm looking for. I can get a Polaris or Honda for a lil less money, but I've had good luck with Kubota.. One thing I didn't know was the Diff lock is actually for the front, I thought it was for the rear. Overall the power is pretty peppy but It will take some time getting used to the Hydro Tranny. One thing I dislike is the fuel gauge being underneath the seat. Seems for the overall money spent that Kubota could've had a gauge accessible from the seat or even better on the dash. Come next week I think I may have a shiny orange RTV to match the rest of my toys.

If I remember correctly the DiffLock is for the rear only..Goes like a billy goat with that engaged.

TBN Rules--Without pictures it never happened. :D

Congrats.