Why so dusty?

/ Why so dusty? #1  

ka41

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 L5240HST
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, and I did use the "search" but I could not find anything. How do you ZD21 owners keep from being wrapped up in dust. I'm asking for my father-in-law. Well I guess asking for me as well. He has a ZD21-60 that I used to cut his grass yesterday and the whole time I was cutting I was being covered in dust and grass that was being blown out in front of the mower and then on to me. When I got finished cutting, grass and dust was about 1-2 inches thick on the deck where you rest your feet. He has been complaining about this for a while and even tried putting rubber around the bottom of the deck but it hasn't helped. Any suggestions?

/ Why so dusty? #2  
You have a side-discharge deck, right? The only times my ZG20 does that is either when I'm bagging and the tube gets clogged, or when I have the deck set too high. Other than that, the blades should be pushing the grass out the side.
Chris

/ Why so dusty?
Yes it is the side discharge. He doesn't have a bagging system and I'm not sure what cutting height he has it set on. I don't think its that high though.

/ Why so dusty? #4  
I'll be watching this thread...my exmark 48" has covered me with dust for 6 years now.I started running the rpm's down whenever I can to lessen it,but the cut quality suffers.

/ Why so dusty? #6  
The dust came with the "High Lift" blades that are the trend these days. The "High Lift" blades suck the grass up for a better cut and better distribution of the clippings. Dust sucks easier than grass.

/ Why so dusty?
Well I guess its just something that he is going to have to live with. I'll let him know about the high lift blades and thanks for all the input.

/ Why so dusty?
I went by a kubota dealer today to look at tractors and talked to them about the problem my father in law was having with all the dust and grass clippings gathering on the deck around his feet. He told me he sells a lot of the Z's and no one has come back complaining about this problem. Are the newer models different?

/ Why so dusty? #9  
I thought all lawnmowers stirred up a cloud of dust unless you've had enough moisture, either from rain or from watering, to settle the dust.

/ Why so dusty? #10  
I corrected some of my mower side discharge problems by removing a piece of air flow inhibitor the enjineeers thought necessary and selling it as scrap iron.

Attachments

• Mower deck JD 3-17-11.JPG
    Mower deck JD 3-17-11.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Mower deck JD baffel front 3-23-11.JPG
    Mower deck JD baffel front 3-23-11.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 226