Why so dusty?

/ Why so dusty? #12  
With all due respect, excellent idea and it works. The next step for side discharge is to change the stupid combination stock blades to side discharge blades.

/ Why so dusty?
I thought all lawnmowers stirred up a cloud of dust unless you've had enough moisture, either from rain or from watering, to settle the dust.

Yes sir you are right. But I think when I get finished cutting and there's about 1-2 inches of dirt and clippings all around my feet, that's just not right. I'm hoping other ZD owners will chime in and let me know if this is how their mower does.

/ Why so dusty? #14  
I thought all lawnmowers stirred up a cloud of dust unless you've had enough moisture, either from rain or from watering, to settle the dust.

Lately they have come out with high lift blades and wind tunnel decks. The high lift blades lift the grass for a cleaner cut. The wind tunnel decks distribute the clippings more evenly. In the early day of RFM's no one wanted a RFM because they would leave a windrow. After going to the tunnel deck RFM's are now more favored than side discharge. These features do work better for cutting and distributing the grass. Most noticeable improvement is when mowing wet grass. But these new puppies will suck dust like there is no tomorrow.

/ Why so dusty? #15  

Bird...

I thought the same exact thing. Especially out your way with no rain.

My CC 60" tank gets real dusty and so do I. I look it as part of the mowing experience, one reason I don't mow often. To me tall grass is green so why cut it.

I've considered letting the lawn grow high enough to mow and condition then bale and feed to the nags......:D

I just keep the pre-cleaner on the air filter washed out and call it good.

/ Why so dusty?
I talked to a couple of dealers today to get their input and see if they had customers come back to them complaining and all of them said no customer complaints. However, one dealer talked to the service manager and he said that after they do work on them they have to try them out and sometimes they do get grass and dust on the platform. So I call another dealer and he told me that he hasn't had anyone complain and he suggested I come by when I get a chance and test one on their yard and see if I experience any excessive dust. I may do that.
On a different note ( I didn't want to start another thread), for those of you with the ZD's, how many acres are you keeping cut?

/ Why so dusty? #17  
Not a option for all times, but I try to mow my own yard when it is a little damp - that helps more than anything else. I expect any modification to lessen the "lift" effect will cause cut quality to suffer. The ZD here is run without the shield, which makes it even worse at throwing grass/dust/etc. everywhere.

/ Why so dusty? #18  
Never mind the air filters! Don't breathe that dust in! Think about what is in it!

/ Why so dusty? #19  
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if the dust is that big of deal, why not put a mulch kit on your deck? Cuts down on 95% of the dust... They only time I blow any dust is when I roll over a complete bare spot. I've got a 72" Toro Z500 cutting field grass with bermuda mixed in.

/ Why so dusty? #20  
Never mind the air filters! Don't breathe that dust in! Think about what is in it!
Not that lungs are not important, but just a note to those with diesels - better pay attention to the air filters or else an expensive rebuild will be in order soon. Without an air filter in place on the diesel, chances are good you would not get your yard mowed once without severe engine damage.