BX24 ROPS won't fold

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #11  
RayCo said:
.......I read the manual to verify I wasn't supposed to touch the nut and bolts at the joint, and after confirming that, used a mallet to help me fold it down......

My manual says to loosen the bolts if necessary to fold the ROPS down, but to be careful that it doesn't free fall. This happened to me when I tried to garage it after it was rolled off the flatbed the other day. I couldn't get it to budge. Loosening the nuts is a 2 person job. I needed my wife to stand with a wrench and breaker bar on the bolt head while I applied persuasion to the nut. It now folds easily. :)

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold
Jabroni said:
My manual says to loosen the bolts if necessary to fold the ROPS down, but to be careful that it doesn't free fall. This happened to me when I tried to garage it after it was rolled off the flatbed the other day. I couldn't get it to budge. Loosening the nuts is a 2 person job. I needed my wife to stand with a wrench and breaker bar on the bolt head while I applied persuasion to the nut. It now folds easily. :)

I need your version of the owner's manual that says that. :p They probably took it out because of people getting bonked in the head from pulling it down.

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #13  
The few times you hit the door with it up it will loosen up >
tommu56

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold
tommu56 said:
The few times you hit the door with it up it will loosen up >
tommu56

Heh!

I'm thinking about using this problem as justification to build an external garage. :D

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #15  
My BX is just slightly older than your (by a few days) and I had the exact same problem. Just loosened up the bolts and I was good to go. You can modulate the tension on the ROPS quite easily and so I set it to easily move with a gentle pull without moving on it's own.

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #16  
I had the exact same problem, loosened the bolts on Day 1 and had no problem since. My manual also says to looosen bolts to make foldable. Garage doors help 7 footers....

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #17  
RayCo said:
Both of my Wheel Horses are from the 70's. I have pics of my D-180 (which I actually think is a 73 18 Auto, actually, which is just one year before they decided to make three different versions and start using the D-name.

Here's a link to my Wheel Horse stuff that I haven't updated in quite some time.

Wheel Horse D-180
:tiphat:

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold
Snatchface said:
My BX is just slightly older than your (by a few days) and I had the exact same problem. Just loosened up the bolts and I was good to go. You can modulate the tension on the ROPS quite easily and so I set it to easily move with a gentle pull without moving on it's own.

Do you happen to remember the size of the bolt head and nut? Or better, are they metric? I don't have any metric tools above 18mm. This tractor is the first foreign vehicle I've ever owned. ;)

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #19  
Actually, in the owners manual, in the maintenance section, it tells you to periodically adjust the hinge bolt tightness to achieve the proper amount of friction at the hinge. Just put the cotter pin back in the castle nut when you're done.

At least that's what's in the BX23 manual...

Pat

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #20  
RayCo said:
I need your version of the owner's manual that says that. :p They probably took it out because of people getting bonked in the head from pulling it down.

Page 28 of the BX24 manual.