BX24 ROPS won't fold

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
Hi all. I need to fold my ROPS to get my tractor in the garage. I couldn't get it to move, so I read the manual to verify I wasn't supposed to touch the nut and bolts at the joint, and after confirming that, used a mallet to help me fold it down. I got it down, but I won't be able to get it up tomorrow. :rolleyes: So, I figure I'll try loosening the nut and bolt. My questions:

Should this be necessary?

Anyone know what size the nut and bolt are? From my SAE calipers and my conversion to metric, I'm coming up with the nut being 26mm and the bolt head being either 13/16" or 25.5mm (?). (Kinda lame that the nut and bolt aren't the same size, but oh well.) I don't have any metric wrenches or sockets larger than 20mm, so I'm going to stop and get what I need tomorrow. If anyone happens to know the sizes, great. If not, there's an excuse to buy a large metric tool set. :D

Thank you

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #2  
I see no other reasonable option than to loosen the connection, lower the bar, tighten it back and move on.

I work around a lot of trees. Mine (personal preference) stays folded down.

I'd like to see some pics of the Wheel Horse tractors if they are 1960 - 1970s models, please.

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #3  
It could just be because it is new and the paint in the hinge has not worn off yet. Have you tried anything like WD40 or similar? Might be able to oil it while working it back and forth?

Enjoy your New Tractor...

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold
ultrarunner said:
It could just be because it is new and the paint in the hinge has not worn off yet. Have you tried anything like WD40 or similar? Might be able to oil it while working it back and forth?

Enjoy your New Tractor...

That was my thinking too, and I did spray a generous amount of WD40. I was hoping once I got it to move, I could work it back and forth to loosen it up. That didn't work, but then again, I'm not the strongest guy around.

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold
crbr said:
I'd like to see some pics of the Wheel Horse tractors if they are 1960 - 1970s models, please.

Both of my Wheel Horses are from the 70's. I have pics of my D-180 (which I actually think is a 73 18 Auto, actually, which is just one year before they decided to make three different versions and start using the D-name.

Here's a link to my Wheel Horse stuff that I haven't updated in quite some time.

Wheel Horse D-180

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #6  
Ray, mine was the exact same way when I first tried to fold the ROPS as well. Mine fits without folding but I have to fold for mowing. Pull your pins, put a little lube on the pivot points, and hang off the back with your weight. It should free up nice for you.

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #7  
Mine too is kind of hard to fold, I had to use all my 115 lbs frame to get it to fold. So yesterday I finally got sick of it and loosen the bolts to make it much easier to fold. I think Kubota don't want you to touch this just so they can cover their butts.

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #9  
Mine was like that when it was new. It will break in. In addition, the 3pt arms didn't swivel like they should due to the paint. I needed the friendly folks at TBN to help me figure that one out. There should be 4 swiveling points on the 3pt arms; if some are painted shut, just force them.

/ BX24 ROPS won't fold #10  
Mine was a little tight, but I didn't have much problem once I pulled from the middle top of the ROPS. I did spray some white lithium grease on the contact areas before pushing it back up. It seems to work a little easier now.