BX vs. 42" x 30" x 510 foot utility ditch.

/ BX vs. 42" x 30" x 510 foot utility ditch. #11  
Luckily I didn't get hurt when the thing went over.

We are all very relieved to read that you escaped unharmed. That had to be a jolt to the body, though. Be absolutely sure you are fine. If you are getting any headaches whatsoever, I hope you will visit a doctor and not let them pass on their own.

The Gardener

/ BX vs. 42" x 30" x 510 foot utility ditch. #12  
This is a good example of how easy CUTs are to roll, even on relatively flat ground.

Yes indeed. I think the uneven terrain as pictured and the challenges associated with this particular trench would have been best handled by the excavator from beginning to end. Ideally, a bulldozer with its blade angled would have made fast work of this effort.

I am big supporter of hiring our larger jobs to larger equipment.

/ BX vs. 42" x 30" x 510 foot utility ditch. #13  
WOW!!

First things first, glad you weren't injured!
Secondly, to all of us, this is proof that it certainly can happen, and we should always take care when using an FEL.

And, Lastly, getting it to run again.
The best of luck to you with getting it back to running condition.
As suggested, check all fluids, engine oil, hydraulic fluid and don't forget cooling system too. If any are low, then it's good to determine where it may have gone. Hydraulic fluid probably would vent to outside.

Sounds like it was on it's side for a while while you got help.
Typically you hear people say let it sit for 12 or 24 hours.

I'd first loosen injectors and/or glow plugs and do the manual crank thing.

BUT First, try without loosening anything, if it feels heavily resistant, then loosen enough to relieve compression, and re-try.
If it turns easier at that point, you will know right away that it was some sort of compression lock-up situation, and can then breathe a little easier when you later hit the ignition key.

Please keep us posted!

/ BX vs. 42" x 30" x 510 foot utility ditch. #14  
mazurrj said:
you need spark and fuel. unfortunaly had same problem, engine would not turn, and fuel injectors had to be cleaned because was geting no combustion.
Ahh but there's the really clever part... you don't need spark, there is no spark. Only air (oxygen), compression (heat), and fuel = combustion. Hydro-lock interferes with compression. I can't think of any reason why injectors would need to be cleaned, as they will flush themselves clean. OTOH, oil-soaked glow plugs can't get enough heat to the fuel for initial combustion. The glow plugs may need to be pulled and cleaned. My guess is that's what you meant to say, or, while you were in the process of pulling and cleaning injectors, the real problem (hydro-lock) subsided on its own.

At any rate, file this under "What NOT to do to your Kubota" :) . Hope everything turns out OK...

/ BX vs. 42" x 30" x 510 foot utility ditch. #15  
It's hydro-locked. Does that model have a compression release? Crank it with the compression released to clear the cylinders.

/ BX vs. 42" x 30" x 510 foot utility ditch. #16  
Very glad you're OK. I notice how tipsy my machine seems with the BH attached, but it is a bit more stable with the box-blade. Not sure I would have expected you to tip over, but that is the recipe for such a thing to happen...mounds of soil all around, wet ground to sink into, raised bucket, etc.

That could happen to anybody trying to complete such a large task as that. You get to 'whipping around' by way of your built confidence, hit a very small tree stump or something. Doesn't take much.

I notice your signature "neighbors as far away as possible"...I'm sure that means you like to spread your arms on some acreage rather than be all butts and elbows on a postage stamp. Becuase I'm certain you're pretty glad to have some helpful neighbors now!

Just out of curiosity: Did anything bend? I'm sure you're engine will be fine once you get it cranking, but I'm curious if you went over pretty hard (as it seems you did) how the ROPS fared or if your fender hit the ground and broke or anything like that. Not that I personally plan on going over (again), but I'm impressed that your machine looks like a cinder-block on its side with no marks to show for it. Quite impressive.

/ BX vs. 42" x 30" x 510 foot utility ditch. #17  
DiezNutz said:
Ahh but there's the really clever part... you don't need spark, there is no spark. Only air (oxygen), compression (heat), and fuel = combustion. Hydro-lock interferes with compression. I can't think of any reason why injectors would need to be cleaned, as they will flush themselves clean. OTOH, oil-soaked glow plugs can't get enough heat to the fuel for initial combustion. The glow plugs may need to be pulled and cleaned. My guess is that's what you meant to say, or, while you were in the process of pulling and cleaning injectors, the real problem (hydro-lock) subsided on its own.

At any rate, file this under "What NOT to do to your Kubota" :) . Hope everything turns out OK...

I agree with you, DN. But back to his symptoms, he said it would barely crank, not even like a full revolution then nothing?
If it were oil soaked glow plugs, it might crank, but not fire. In the summer, if it cranked for 10 or 15 seconds, then, more than likely, it would fire up, or try to, even without glow plug heat.

Then something else dawned on me! It layed on side for a while, before being uprighted....so...maybe...the battery lost the electrolyte, and there isn't enough cranking amps to turn it over??
Just another off-the-wall thing to check on, battery fluid level and charge.
Batteries do have gas vent holes, maybe it slowly dripped over the time it took to get it back on it's feet?
Again, just a thought as to why it wouldn't crank.

/ BX vs. 42" x 30" x 510 foot utility ditch.
Back in business!
First of all, yes I was wearing the seatbelt and I'm glad I was. I instinctively put my right leg down to stop the roll, and I'm lucky I didn't twist my knee. I was hanging by the seatbelt after it went over. I had just scooped the top half of a pile, then the left front wheel ran over the bottom half of the pile as I was lifting the loader. Bad combination. It went over so fast my coffee cup got launched about 6 feet from the cup holder.

I went out there today and checked all the fluids (they were fine) then took the grill guard, cowling, and hood off. These tractors don't have a single bolt on the flywheel, they have 5. I was still able to get a wrench on one of them and manually turn the flywheel. First I loosened the injectors to let the pressure out. It was hard to turn, but I could hear fluid gurgling at certain points. The more I did it, the easier it got.
repair2.jpg

I then attempted to call my dealer and ask a technician if I would be safe to attempt a start. My dealer said the techs were too busy to take calls. I explained that I just wanted to talk to a guy for 2 minutes and that if I brought the tractor in they would be even busier. He said that they have a 4 week wait. I then got transferred to the general manager but only got his voicemail. I called another dealer and talked to a tech who advised that I pull either the injectors or the glowplugs and crank the engine. He said I had oil on top of the pistons and oil would fly out of the glowplug hole as it was cranked. I used a 7mm wrench to remove the electrodes and a 10mm wrench to remove the glowplugs.
repair1.jpg

I then used the wrench to manually turn the crankshaft and indeed oil did fly out of number one. The other two were dry. Small drops kept flying out at certain points on the crankshaft revolution. This was getting time consuming but I had an idea. I reattached the injector lines, left the glowplugs off and turned the key. Now geysers of fuel and air came out of each cylinder and number one was quickly cleared of oil. I reinstalled the glowplugs and it fired right up. This 3 hour repair job could have been done in 10 minutes had I just removed the glowplugs, cranked the engine, wiped up the oil, then reinstalled the glowplugs. I'll know next time.

The only damage was one dent about the size of a quarter on the side of the metal floor where it landed on a rock, and a scratch on the ROPS where I tried to jack it up.

You're right about the helpful neighbors, Keith. I am so tired of having to go next door to have my current neighbors turn down their stereo/TV. The neighbors at the new place couldn't be any nicer and their house is about 1000 feet from where ours will be.

Last edited:
   / BX vs. 42" x 30" x 510 foot utility ditch. #19  
You rock. We are all very glad you shared your unfortunate experience with us. It reminds us of several things:

Lesson #1: It happens. It's OK. Whatever you do, somebody's done it before.
Lesson #2: It happens fast.
Lesson #3: Stow your tray tables and put your seatbacks to their upright position...tuck in your arms and legs and assume crash posture.

Used to be I'd have the Craftsman at a 45 degree angle with one leg holding me and the mower from tipping over until I got to the end of the ditch. YA! SURE! Don't think you're doing that in this machine, despite your initial reaction.

I had my machine over...very slow roll and only to a point where two men could right it. Nice to know the proper procedure for starting an engine that has been sideways for whatever reason.

Again, thank you for sharing with such pride, completeness, and detail. It helps us all be safer in the long run.

/ BX vs. 42" x 30" x 510 foot utility ditch. #20  
Ok, now that you got it fixed, to back fill the trench.

1) Fill the bucket with spoils.
2) Lower the bucket so it's just off the ground
3) Lower the box blade so it is just off the ground (and it HAS to be dead level). Set the 3pt lift lower limit to that point.
4) back into the spoils line so you are pushing 1/3 to 1/2 of the box blade's width.
5) raise the box up, go forward and repeat step 3&4 about 15,000 bazillion times untill done.

As you know (now), you had the loader up way way way too high. There is no need to have it any higher than about 1 foot above the ground when the tractor is moving. Also, your technique looks like you were filling the bucket then backing up, turning and going forward to dump? You should be on the far side of the spoils pile, filling the bucket and going straight forward to dump, steering around the spoils. Then backing straight back to repeat the process.

Anyhoo, you didn't get hurt, the tractor didn't get hurt and you have a sense of humor about the whole deal. Thanks for sharing the scary moment with us!

jb