Tractor
    L35

Default L35 Front Axle Seals

Has anybody replaced the front portal axle seals on an L35? I don't have a manual but I was curious if any special tools are needed to do the seal replacement. Both right and left seals are leaking.

Tractor
    L5450, L48, L3250, L345

Default Re: L35 Front Axle Seals

Quote Originally Posted by cheekme View Post
    Has anybody replaced the front portal axle seals on an L35? I don't have a manual but I was curious if any special tools are needed to do the seal replacement. Both right and left seals are leaking.
    If I'm not mistaken, the L35 axle is similar or the same as the Grand L axle. There's a string of six posts starting here that show the parts and how to do it. It's not a bad job - the only "special tool" needed is a good pair of snap ring pliers.

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar___
    Tractor
    Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB

I did mine when I owned my L-35 about 8 years ago. It was a PITA. For some reason, it took my dealer about 2 weeks to get the seals.

Tractor
    L5450, L48, L3250, L345

Quote Originally Posted by Builder View Post
    I did mine when I owned my L-35 about 8 years ago. It was a PITA. For some reason, it took my dealer about 2 weeks to get the seals.
    I have found that Ronnie Bowman at TractorSmart is real fast to send a .pdf parts list. Then I order online and the parts are at my door in a week or so.

Tractor
    L35

Thanks rbargeron for the detailed info. My L35 might not be exactly like the 3600 but it sure looks like it from the outside. Bummer to see ball bearings though. Would much prefer tapered rollers. I'll try TractorSmart for parts and do the work this winter. These seals have been the only problem I've had with my L35 which I bought used with 777 hrs and I've put another 600 on it since.

Tractor
    L35

I replaced the upper seals this winter and rbargeron had it nailed when he said you need good snap ring pliers. The upper snap ring is hard to engage with the tool since you are working blind reaching up from the bottom. I used a mirror but could have used another hand. I bought a snap ring tool for both internal and external rings (you have one of each) with locking feature and changable points (expensive but absolutely necessary).

One tip I would add is that the bottom plug can be installed with a piece of what I believe was 2" pipe. It makes a perfect driving tool. You probably could use a rubber hammer but the pipe works great. Got replacement parts from TractorSmart. Good people and fast service.