Torn boot?

/ Torn boot? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
One of the front steering boots is slightly torn on my BX2350. How big of a deal is this? It doesn't look as if its filled with grease or anything. It looks like it would be difficult to replace it.

/ Torn boot? #2  
$125 per side when I had mine replaced; don't loan your tractor out:mad:

I sold my BX2200 to my son in law in 08 when I got my BX2660 and he tore both boots up and bent one of the tie rods; been running it that way ever since.

I know of some people who have wrapped them in rubber or leather either before or after the tear. There are no moving parts in their like on a CV boot; probably should fix it, but I wouldn't worry too much about it; well "I" would, but I am not a good yardstick by which to measure as I can't stand anything like that.

/ Torn boot? #3  
I've not been able to find just the rubber boot. You'll have to replace the tierod end to replace the boot. I have an old bicycle inner tube that I'm going to put on my BX if I ever get a round tuit.

/ Torn boot? #4  
I've not been able to find just the rubber boot. You'll have to replace the tierod end to replace the boot. I have an old bicycle inner tube that I'm going to put on my BX if I ever get a round tuit.

now that's a plan :thumbsup:...i tore mine the other day too (that's what I get for trying to move stuff at night...

/ Torn boot? #5  
my boots have been tore on my BX 2230 for 3 years now,[I figure I would have torn more than 1 set by now] no ill effects.nothing is rusted or looks out of place so I have chosen to wait it out. If I have to replace due to falling apart due to rust or wear I will report it here for sure.In the mean time I have invested my $250 in a new fishin rod and reel.

/ Torn boot? #6  
This problem has been mentioned previously. I recall someone using a flexible radiator hose to protect the boot.

Cityfarma

/ Torn boot?
Thanks for the link Milkman, it looks like a good idea. An often overlooked idea is to do nothing. I'm going to go that route, and if I have to replace it some day, I'll protect like you did.

/ Torn boot? #9  
They are in a very susceptible place for damage. One of mine was actually ripped by a snow bank I believe this past winter. When it gets loose and sloppy, i'll replace it.

/ Torn boot? #10  
You know, if we could find an ATV with similar diameters of shaft and hub, we could use a CV joint split boot kit to replace those little rubber pieces.

Another idea that occurred to me was that guy on TV with the Aussie? accent talking about the silicone tape based stuff that sticks to itself. Seems like he called it Mighty Fix-it.