Oil & Fuel Regular oil or synthetic

/ Regular oil or synthetic #1  

Carl Bert

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, John deere X595
This is my first Kubota and also my first diesel engine. I read a few older threads about synthetic oils voiding Kubota warranties. I highly doubt that is still true today, but I would like to get some of your opinions along with my dealers before making a decision. Also, if I did use synthetic, would I extend the time between oil changes? What to do, and when to do it?

Thanks

/ Regular oil or synthetic #2  
Personalty I use 0-40 synthetic oil for several reasons not the least of which is that it makes starting in sub zero Manitoba winters a breeze and secondly because my Kubota dealer recommends it.

Also use 0-30 synthetic in my van and truck and have never had a problem with it. The 0-30 and 0-40 grade Synthetics may well be a little more expensive up front but I have found that it's a lot cheaper in the long run.

/ Regular oil or synthetic #3  
I use the regular oil with Kubota stamped on it that I buy from Barlows. I've used it on 12 Kubotas and never had a problem with it or them.
I use regular Pennzoil 10W40 (used to use 10W30) on my cars/trucks (Owned over 130) and have never had a problem with them.

/ Regular oil or synthetic #4  
I could not imagine an engine without synthetic oil, especially in the cold climates regardless of manufacturer synthetic is always the premium oil so price is high but I'm sure your investment is worth it. However I would still change it described by your owners manual some say you can push it longer I wouldn't take the chance unless you're dealer tells you it's okay. My manufacturer claims I can go 200 hours on synthetic I change every hundred and more frequently if I'm in very dirty or strenuous conditions. take care

/ Regular oil or synthetic #5  
I could not imagine an engine without synthetic oil, especially in the cold climates regardless of manufacturer synthetic is always the premium oil so price is high but I'm sure your investment is worth it. However I would still change it described by your owners manual some say you can push it longer I wouldn't take the chance unless you're dealer tells you it's okay. My manufacturer claims I can go 200 hours on synthetic I change every hundred and more frequently if I'm in very dirty or strenuous conditions. take care
Looks like you own a Blue instead of Orange tractor. Maybe they need extra protection.:) and shorter time till changes.:) and extra tender care.:)
Kubota has change oil at first 50 and then at 200 and then I think at each 200 course they are Kubotas and have Kubota engines.
There are Premium items in almost every thing sold (as in oil) but for most people the need for Premium rarely justifies the extra cost. I shudder at the thought of paying the extra for Synthetic oil over my life time when I've never had a problem having used the non synthetic oil. Would have been hundreds or maybe thousands of proven wasted money.

/ Regular oil or synthetic #6  
I doubt that it was ever true that a synthetic oil would void any warranty as long as it was the correct oil classification and changed to the manufacturer's recommended interval or oil analysis was used.
I have run extended oil change intervals on vehicles with good results but, since I run close to 100 hours per year on the tractor, the tractor manufacturer suggests changing at each 100 hours and the oil manufacturer suggests changing once per year as a minimum that's what I do. If I were to run significantly higher hours per year I would look at oil analysis to determine how long I could run the oil under my operating conditions. I would do analysis and change the filter at each tractor manufacturer recommended change interval as a minimum until I had enough information to decide how many hours was a good change interval.
Synthetics are noticeably better for starting at low temperatures, they are better for the engine at high temperatures too but that is not as noticeable. I used 0W30 in my last truck, 0W20 in my current truck and 5W40 in the tractor because I can use the same oil in my car so only need to keep two oils on hand.

/ Regular oil or synthetic #7  
I use the regular oil with Kubota stamped on it that I buy from Barlows. I've used it on 12 Kubotas and never had a problem with it or them.
I use regular Pennzoil 10W40 (used to use 10W30) on my cars/trucks (Owned over 130) and have never had a problem with them.

Just a small point, Canadian esp. Manitoba winters with -40f or -40c are just a tad harder on engines than say Ky winters. Up here engines need all the help they can get.

/ Regular oil or synthetic #8  
Just a small point, Canadian esp. Manitoba winters with -40f or -40c are just a tad harder on engines than say Ky winters. Up here engines need all the help they can get.
LOL!! Your right on that. I spent a year in Minot, ND and the first week I was there it was -43degrees. Cars had to have engine tank heaters and light bulbs beside the battery and even then the engines cranked very, very slow and with prayer would sometimes start. Course the wind never stopped blowing so with chill factor it was probably a hundred below zero which doesn't affect metal but sure did/does skin. I would probably use synthetic oil in the higher Northern reaches of the country. If it gets below zero in Ky, and it some times does, we stay in unless we have to get out.:D

/ Regular oil or synthetic #9  
I use a 5w-40 in my Kubota (Mobil 1). I sent 2 samples in for oil analysis, they came back fine. First change was around 10 hours, next was around 50 hours. 200 hours is a long time for me, so I will probably change earlier. Philip.

/ Regular oil or synthetic #10  
I use a 5w-40 in my Kubota (Mobil 1). I sent 2 samples in for oil analysis, they came back fine. First change was around 10 hours, next was around 50 hours. 200 hours is a long time for me, so I will probably change earlier. Philip.
Keep changing at every 10 or 50 hours and I'm sure every sample will come back fine. I'd say you can keep that up and save the cost of sending off samples.
Your kidding aren't you?
The first oil is ran to 50 to get the engine broken in correctly and my understanding is that it's a different oil made for that purpose. I've heard this alot but do not have proof but again I've heard it about cars, trucks and tractors that they have "break in oil" to be used for the first number of specified hours.